*Editor’s review of the best. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective, not an advertisement and does not serve as a guide to purchase. Before buying you need to consult with an expert.
Japanese company Sony – one of the world’s largest manufacturers of multimedia equipment. It is especially known for its cameras. Sensors by this manufacturer are installed in smartphones, cameras, and virtually every other device that can only shoot photos and video. So it’s no surprise that Sony cameras themselves are of the highest quality and functionality.
For fans of high-quality camerawork – even if it’s filming a walk in the woods or a celebration in the circle of closest people – we have compiled a rating of the top 5 Sony camcorders, which are practical and functional.
Best Sony camcorder rating
|Best Sony camcorder rating||1||Sony FDR-AX700||88 870€|
|2||Sony FDR-AX100E||75 900€|
|3||Sony FDR AX-33|
|4||Sony HDR-CX625||23 400€|
|5||Sony HDR-CX405||14 390€|
Why it: Supports 4K video recording, powerful zoom.
The company itself calls this model not just a camera, but a camcorder, taking it to the next level – the level of professional filming. No surprises there. The compact and lightweight device, which weighs only less than a kilogram, is capable of recording in 4K 30 fps (or F
- HD 120 fps), supports 12x optical zoom and 198x digital zoom, and also supports manual adjustment of shooting parameters.
- The low weight of the device, only 935 grams;
- Rich package, including a lot of useful accessories;
- Support for 4K UHD video recording.
- Low frame rate when shooting at maximum resolution;
- It doesn’t come with any media (no memory card or internal storage of the device itself);
- H codec not supported.265, which reduces the “weight” of high-definition video.
- “Honest 4K” with increased clarity of objects in the frame;
- The possibility of detailed manual adjustment of all shooting parameters;
- There is a night shooting mode and infrared illumination.
- Slow Autofocus;
- Proprietary “shoe” format for connecting external devices, adapters will be required;
- Proprietary connector format for connecting remote control devices, standard LANC won’t work.
- Low weight of only 600 grams, your hands do not get tired during long use;
- The high-quality system of dual (optical plus electronic) stabilization;
- High detail at a resolution of F
- l HD 50 fps.
- The appearance of strong noise when zooming, this function is better not to use;
- Not the highest quality “picture” in dark conditions;
- 4K is added for a tick – the speed is too slow to use this feature regularly.
- Huge zoom – 30x optical and 350x digital;
- Good stabilization performance, and even when zooming;
- Tiny size and weight of only 300 grams.
- Overheating when used in hot weather;
- Poor “picture quality” in low light, no backlight (neither normal nor infrared);
- Low LCD screen matrix quality.
- Long battery life – up to 2 hours of continuous use;
- Excellent stabilizer performance (both mechanical and digital);
- Good work of automatics (autofocus, white balance and other parameters).
- Poorly suited to shooting in low light conditions;
- Uncomfortable format .MTS when shooting in F
- l HD 50 fps;
- Extremely inconvenient settings menu.
The “heart” of the camcorder – 14.2-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1″. It is complemented by a fixed lens with focal lengths from 9.3 to 111.6 mm (which is due to the optical zoom) and f/2 aperture.8-f/4.5. The installation of filters with a diameter of 62 mm is supported. All this is complemented by a mechanical image stabilizer to eliminate the effects of shaking when shooting handheld.
The camcorder is also equipped with 3.5-inch 1.5MP LCD touch screen and advanced viewfinder.
Why It: Supports ultra high definition video recording, low weight.
FDR-AX100E is similar in many ways to the FDR-AX700. However, it is equipped with a less efficient image processor. Otherwise, the specifications of this model are similar to the leader of the rating.
In particular, the model FRD-AX100E is equipped with 12.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1″ physical size. It’s complemented by a lens that supports 12x optical zoom and 160x digital. The aperture is f/2.8-f/4.5. You can set the exposure and focus manually, but it’s worth using the automatic focus modes – there are five of them, and they work well even during the zoom. It also has a mechanical image stabilizer.
LCD touch screen for easy use is also available. There’s a viewfinder, too.
The camcorder is able to shoot in 4K, while providing maximum image sharpness. Although the frame rate in this mode is only 25 fps.
Sony FDR AX-33
Why is it: Ultra high definition ultra-compact camcorder.
Despite the fact that the manufacturer video camera FDR AX-33 belongs to the “amateur” devices, the operators, professionals will also appreciate it. High-performance image processor installed in the device allows for an “honest” 4K video stream. And it weighs only 600 grams!
At the heart of the device is an 8.29-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1/2.3″. Complemented by a fixed lens with a focal length of 3.8-38 mm (10x optical zoom supported) and an aperture of f/1.8-f/3.4. It also has a digital zoom, 120x. Supports manual setting of focus and exposure, but there are also automatic modes of operation.
The camcorder is also equipped with a mechanical image stabilizer, which is complemented by electronic, and a 3-inch LCD touch screen for convenience (electronic viewfinder is also available).
Why is it: Low weight and large zoom.
The main advantage of this camcorder is a large optical zoom. It is higher than the previous models in the rating and is 30x. Also supports digital zooming up to 350x!
But overall HDR-CX625 is a pretty good mid-range camera. It is equipped with 2.29-megapixel CMOS sensor with a physical size of 1/5.8″ which is complemented by a non-removable lens with a focal length of 1.9-57 mm and an aperture of f/1.8-f/4. Manual focus and exposure settings are supported, but for those who don’t want to “bother,” the camera offers several different automatic modes of operation. The maximum resolution of the video stream is F
- HD 60 fps.
It also comes with an optical image stabilizer, a 3-inch LCD touchscreen, and a digital viewfinder. There are intelligent operation modes, including face focus and timelapse.
Why her: Budget-friendly camcorder with excellent zooming.
Although this camcorder costs less than the other models in the ranking, it boasts excellent zoom capabilities. Lens and image processor installed give 30x optical zoom and 350x digital zoom respectively. It is worth noting that the stabilization system also works when zooming.
Like the previous model in the list, Sony HDR-CX405 is based on 2.29-megapixel 1/5.8-inch CMOS sensor. It is complemented by a non-removable lens with a focal length of 1.9-57mm and f/1 aperture.8-f/4. Manual focus and exposure are supported. The camcorder is capable of shooting at resolutions up to F
- HD 50 fps. There are a lot of smart operation modes and parameter presets.
The camera is very lightweight – only 215 grams. Equipped with a non-touch 2.7-inch LCD screen and digital viewfinder. There is a mode of focusing on the face.