Lighting plays one of the important roles in the life of a modern person. With it, it is organized by many technological and household processes. The design of any lighting device involves the use of special lamps that generate light stream.
These mechanisms can work on the basis of various substances that differ in both the composition and physical parameters. Particular attention among all this diversity should be given to halogen lamps. Products are quite popular and very widely used in the modern industry.
What it is?
Halogen lamps are a kind of conventional incandescent lamp. A feature of such structures is the use of special gas fillers instead of ordinary air. Gazegen groups perform as the main medium.
For lamps of this type, several basic substances are used:
Sometimes the flask of the lamp can be filled with a mixture of these components, which allows you to get better technical indicators. Such a structure can significantly reduce the size of the base.
Such energy-saving incandescent lamps can be used both for lamps and chandeliers and for automotive headlights.
It should be noted several technical characteristics of this product:
- Power lamp may vary in a very wide range. Today on the market you can find devices with indicators from 1 W to 20 kW. All of them are used to solve specific tasks both in everyday life and industry.
- Life time halogen lamp depends on its modification. Often this figure does not exceed 4 thousand. hours. Please note that when using smooth inclusion technology, this indicator can be increased to 12 thousand. hours.
- Colour temperature. The lamp is characterized by a good color reinforcement, which according to the classification is equal to the RA 99-100 spectrum. This value occurs in black bodies, which are warmed up to a temperature of 2800-3000 to.
The heating time of the halogen lamp is quite small, which allows you to get a warm light stream after a few seconds.
It should be noted that during operation of the flask device can be heated to very high temperatures. Therefore, it is made from special quartz glass, which can withstand such loads.
The tices of the product may be different, which allows you to connect it to various electricity generators. Some models have special outputs in the form of metal threads that need to be connected only with special connectors. As for the light flux, this value often depends on the power of the lamp. You can get acquainted with the exemplary indicators in the table.
It should be noted that all the characteristics of halogen devices may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer and environmental environment.
Principle of operation
Halogen lamps are more advanced modifications of conventional incandescent bulbs.
This construction consists of several main components:
- Tungsten thread. This element is performed in the form of a spiral, which allows you to increase the working area of the system. In this way, much more light is obtained than it would generate a straight thread. The occurrence of light radiation occurs due to the passage of current through tungsten. It causes metal to generate photons that are allocated to the outer medium.
- Gas aggregate. As already mentioned, in such lamps used halogen rows. This component decides at once a few problems. First of all, the gas prevents the rapid evaporation of a tungsten thread, which can over time to deruit it. Also, the filler “makes” steamed tungsten deposit again to the spiral. This is achieved at the expense of special chemical reactions in which components enter.
Please note that in such a lamp the walls will not fade, as they are practically nothing at odds.
At the same time, high pressure gas can be injected into a small flask. This, in turn, also prolongs the life of the product several times.
Pros and cons
The popularity of halogen lamps is increasing every day. This is achieved by many of their advantages:
- Economy. Such effect is achieved due to high-quality light output. So, for example, devices of this type are separated from 15 to 22 lm for each watt of power. In turn, in standard incandescent lamps, this value does not exceed 12 lm / w. Therefore, with the help of halogen analogues, you can save almost two times more electricity. Please note that such indicators can improve over time, which also depends on the specific manufacturer.
- Life time. The use of halogen made it possible to significantly increase this figure in comparison with classical analogues. The average duration of operation for the halogen lamp is at least 2-5 thousand. working hours.
- Radiation indicators. Lamps of this type generate a warm light stream, which can resemble solar radiation in terms of indicators. Today, the emission spectrum of these devices may vary, which allows you to choose it for any style of the interior and working conditions.
- Dimensions. Technical features of halogen lamps today are very diverse. They can be both huge for street lighting, and very small, which allows you to install them for vehicles.
But halogen lamps are not a unique solution to all problems of this kind.
These products have a lot of minuses, among which you can allocate:
- Minimum resistance to moisture. Due to the structure of quartz glass, which acts as a protective. But today this problem is quite easy to solve with the help of external flasks of glass or other material. They play the role of buffer and do not allow moisture to penetrate the lamp itself.
- High temperature heating. This leads to the fact that the lamp may be the cause of fire near the disposable elements. Therefore, they are not recommended to operate near substances that can easily light up. This feature is also important to consider when replacing the lamp. Perform all operations only after the whole system will cool.
- Flask bulbs are very sensitive to pollution. Similar phenomena can lead to a rapid way out of order. Therefore, it is desirable to perform all operations with these devices only in special gloves.
- High price. It is determined by the fact that the production of such a system is a rather labor process. Therefore, many can use other alternative sources instead of halogen modifications.
The better LED?
The lighting instrument market today is developing rapidly, which leads to the appearance of many modifications of lighting lamps. One of the competitors halogen light sources are LED models. Every year they occupy an increasing niche, as they have many advantages over other products.
But halogen lamps still have a few weighty advantages in front of LED counterparts:
- Price. The price for LED modifications is several times higher than on the device based on incandescent.
- Light spectrum. Many owners celebrate warm radiation from halogen models. The light from them has a pleasant yellowish shade that does not look into the eyes. LED models often operate in a cold spectrum, which requires a small temporary adaptation to such lighting. Halogen devices also distribute light evenly, while LED analogs can not boast of this.
- Direct connection. Halogen devices can work from a conventional electrical network, which eliminates the use of lower transformers. In the case of LEDs, it is not necessary to do without these designs.
As for the remaining technical parameters, the LED lamps have a full advantage here. They consume much less energy, and also do not heat so much, which allows you to install them even on suspended ceilings. At the same time, there are no gases in the lamp, which may affect the human body at large concentrations.
The scope of use of halogen lamps is very wide, which led to the appearance of a large number of their species. You can classify this product in several features, among which one of the mains is considered the type of hull:
- Lamps with an external flask. These are the most common household modifications. Externally, they resemble the usual incandescent lamp. But while the design consists of two flasks. One of them is outdoor and is protective, whereas inside the second is a tungsten thread and gas filler. Similar design allows you to eliminate direct impact on quartz glass flasks. Products of this type are equipped with bases that allow them to screw them into standard cartridges on chandeliers or luminaires. There are centuries of two types in the market – E27 and E14. As for external flasks, they can be both transparent, so with matte or milk coating.
- Linear. Externally, the mechanism consists of a long quartz tube, which is equipped with two contacts on each of the ends. These devices use the bases of the R7S models. Lamps of this type are not bad confront mechanical effects. But at the same time, many modifications need to be installed only in the horizontal plane. This is one of the shortcomings of this product. They are used as sources of fuel light.
- With reflector. These products are equipped with a special framework on which an aluminum or infrared reflector is applied. The flask itself with tungsten thread is located in the center of the product. Lamps of this type very often have a cone-shaped. The reflex system allows you to send a stream of light to the desired point. The upper part of the case is closed with transparent glass, which can sometimes be additionally applied with ultraviolet filter. Increased brightness products are often used only in low-voltage networks. Therefore, almost all types of reflex lamps can work on voltage 12-24 V. Manufacturers complement them with several types of bases – GY *, GZ *, GU *, G9 and G10.
This product is today one of the most popular. Reflector lamps are very often used to organize spot and zonal lighting.
- Capsule. These lamps have small dimensions, since the design itself consists directly from the flask of two conclusions for connecting. Because of small power, they highlight a little light. Therefore, they are very often used in decorative purposes (the backlight of the shelves and T. D. ). It should be noted that such lamps are very weakly heated. Some designers with their help create highlighting furniture designs to create practicality. Products are complemented by several types of bases, among which the most common are GY6, 35, G4, and G9.
Another classification of halogen lamps is network characteristics.
There are 2 types of such structures:
- High-voltage. Lamps can be connected directly to the standard network with a voltage of 220 V. To do this, you only need to screw or connect to the connector. Often, such modifications include two-circuise modifications that are complemented by standard bases.
- Low-voltage. This type of product is the most common. They operate on the network at a voltage not higher than 24 V. Connecting such systems is performed only with the help of special reduction transformers. Lamps of this type do not allocate many heat, so can be used almost anywhere. Very often they are equipped with small chandeliers.
A variety of halogen lamps is very wide.
The dimensions of such products depend mainly on the type of construction:
- Lamps based on two flasks or with reflector practically have the same dimensions as the standard incandescent lamp. In this case, the form may differ slightly, which is already depends on the manufacturer.
- Flip or finger models are small flat products, the length of which can reach 1-2 cm. Thickness and width depends on the type of established base.
The luminous flux of each lighting device is characterized by color temperatures. This indicator indicates which spectrum of light is present in the beam. Halogen lamps often generate a stream in a yellow spectrum.
Today there are several types of similar lamps on the market:
The last three light fluxes are quite rare, since this spectrum is not classic. To achieve such a luminescence, many manufacturers change the structure and technical characteristics of the lamps.
The technical characteristics of halogen lamps do not allow them to exploit them everywhere. But today the environment of their use is quite wide. On the market you can find products for home both on the ceiling lamps, and light bulbs for chandeliers, scaves or lamps. Products are perfect for spotlights, as it can connect to the network without lower transformers.
It is very rare to meet the lamps that are intended for stretch ceilings. But point lights can be supplemented by low-power light sources, although they gradually displaced devices based on LEDs.
Bathroom lamps are complemented by special protective covers, as the flask is not designed to work in a humid environment.
The modern market is saturated with a large number of halogen light bulbs that can be used to solve various tasks.
Among all this variety should be allocated by several popular manufacturers:
- Philips. The company is one of the leaders in this area. It produces both standard lamps and cars for cars. Products are distinguished by high quality and reliability. Many users prefer only this brand.
- Osram. Company specialists pay a lot of attention to the quality of products. Light bulbs are constantly tested for physical impacts in order to minimize their damage.
How to choose?
When buying this product, you should evaluate several parameters:
- Power and light status. The lamp should give the light stream of such force to have enough for a particular room.
- Voltage. It is important here, you plan to connect the device directly to the network or use downlow transformers. Please note that low-voltage varieties consume much less energy.
- Type of soccer. It all depends on the device for which you pick up the lamp. Before purchasing it, you need to get acquainted with the technical characteristics of the old model.
Features of operation
Proper use of a halogen lamp can significantly extend her life. One of the disadvantages that affects the service life is fat. This applies not only to the kitchen, which is formed in the air during frying, but also the substances that are on human hands. Therefore, the lamps should be replaced only in special gloves. If you want to eliminate this factor, then you can use two-circuits.
Many experts recommend about once every six months wipe legs with alcohol to remove Nagar. Subject to such a procedure need glass and grooves where the design is fixed.
If the device has failed, it must be disposed of, since there are harmful substances that do not affect humans and the environment. Therefore, in the event of a breakdown, such products need to be submitted to special organizations that know its properties and correctly recycle it.
What is worth paying attention to when buying a halogen lamp, look in the following video.