Winter is not only the time of fun games in the fresh air, but also a period of increased activity of all utilities and owners of private houses. Abundant snowfalls can paralyze the work of both a big city and a small village. Snow cleaning, clearing sidewalks and road part is a heavy physical labor, to relieve which designers have developed specialized equipment. One of the representatives of this device are snow removal machines, the stable operation of which depends not only on the selected model, but also on the type of oil used.
Requirements for oil
Increased oil requirements for snow removal machines are due to low temperature regime of the environment during operation, as well as adverse weather conditions. Among the most important properties of oil, experts allocate the following:
- The high level of energy saving is the main indicator that affects the percentage of flow during operation;
- The increased lubrication level is a prerequisite that extends the life of the entire device;
- The period of operation and preservation of the initial properties is an indicator that affects the financial costs to purchase a new lubricant liquid;
- Universality is a unique property that allows you to use the tool for different types of engine;
- Compatibility – Indicator, information about which is indicated on the engine and on oil tanks.
Winter engine oil must perform the following functions:
- Fast grease mechanisms in any climatic conditions;
- Low speed of evaporation processes;
- obstacle to the rapid wear of parts;
- prevention of rust appearance;
- resistance to oxidation;
- Lack of sludge and nagar.
The type of oil used depends on the type of engine that the manufacturer has installed on a snow blower. There are two models of engines:
Each of the above engines has its own technical parameters and features of the process of lubrication parts.
Technical implementation of this procedure depends on the design features of the device and can be carried out directly by the owner of the device or occur automatically inside the engine. The feature of the two-stroke engine design involves the use of a mixture of oil and gasoline, which are mixed in certain proportions. For automatic mixing fluid pump pumps flammable components from a special tank into a nozzle.
The four-stroke engine used a special system that provides for separate use of oil and fuel. The unique lubrication system consists of a pump, filter, valve and feeding line. For the first type of engine, it is necessary to use oils that, with full combustion, select the smallest amount of soot, and the main properties of oil for the second engine are the preservation of the initial parameters during the entire period of operation. Based on information on the types of engine types, experts identify the following types of lubricant fluid:
Mineral agent – raw materials, which is obtained after distillation of oil and contains sulfur particles, which provokes the oxidation of the metal surface. To reduce the negative impact of sulfur on metal manufacturers add various additives and synthetic components to the product. Dignity – Low price. Synthetic fluid is made by artificial method by connecting different components. Advantages – High quality, versatility, high protective parameters, efficiency and possibility of use in complex climatic conditions at maximum loads. Disadvantage – high price range.
The semi-synthetic liquid consists of 70 percent of mineral components and 30 percent of artificial elements. This agent is the most popular and in demand due to the presence of properties of natural and synthetic oil, as well as the available price range. Depending on the temperature mode of the environment, you can find the following types of oils:
Special attention should be paid to gear oil, which should not be subject to oxidation processes, as well as change its composition under the influence of low temperatures.
The main sign of high-quality gear oil – efficiency and low level of evaporation. The presence of special additives have a favorably affect the structure of the liquid and extend its period of operation. You can purchase lubricant for the gearbox in any specialized automotive store.
Recommendations for choosing
In specialized stores you can see several types of snow blower oils that have a number of individual features. Experts recommend the following brands of oils.
- M – 82K – Mineral type of lubricant, which has a wide range of applications. Added additives not only significantly increase the period before replacing the oil, but also has the maximum temperature of the frozen more than 30 degrees above zero. Can be used for diesel engines.
- M – 8 m – mineral liquid, which is used for equipment in different countries of the world. Advantages – high anti-corrosion indicators, resistance to low temperatures, long-term operation, used in gasoline and diesel mechanisms.
- MT – 16r – oil for diesel devices. Advantages – protection of parts from corrosion, oxidation and wear.
Special attention should be paid to universal lubricants.
- Ravenol Schneefraese 4-TAKT 5W-30 – German artificial 4-stroke. Advantages – Slow evaporation, low flow rate and oxidation, can be used without preheating motor.
- Oregon SAE 30 – American semi-synthetic agent for gasoline. Advantages – high cleaning level, low flow percentage.
- MTD SAE 5W-30 – German mineral 4-stroke. Advantages – efficiency, use in a cold engine, engine protection against wear and corrosion.
- Craftsman SAE 5W-30 – domestic mineral product that is used for gasoline and diesel devices significantly reduces the noise level, protects against oxidation, rapid wear and corrosion all parts.
Before buying it is better to advise with experienced owners of this technique.
Can I use the car?
In case of impossibility to purchase special engine oil for a snow blower Specialists recommend using a car fluid, which has the following labeling:
- 0W – for temperature not more than 30 degrees of frost;
- 5w – for temperature not more than 25 degrees of frost;
- 10w – for temperature not more than 20 degrees of frost;
- 15w – for temperature no more than 15 degrees of frost;
- 20 W – for temperature not more than 10 degrees of frost.
Also must necessarily coincide the types of engines – both a snow removal apparatus and a car. It is strictly forbidden to use summer automotive oil in winter. At the first opportunity, experts recommend to replace the car oil in a snow blower to a specialized lubricant liquid.
How to pour out?
For stable operation of the snowplow, it is necessary not only to repair the repair and replacement of parts in time, but also pour oil in a timely manner. This procedure consists of a set of rules that are mandatory to execute. Oil pouring steps:
- Installing the device on a flat horizontal surface;
- Starting the engine for several minutes to warm up the old liquid;
- disable device;
- Preparation of tank for waste liquid;
- dropping oil through the open hole of the tank;
- closure of plum hole;
- Reception of the cover and probe from the neck;
- infusion of new oil;
- launching the device for a few minutes;
- Check the level of a new lubricant.
I need to replace the oil not only in the engine, but also in the gearbox. Reducer – Detail, which is located between the moving mechanism and the screw. Oil change must be carried out every 60 hours of operation, as well as at the beginning and at the end of winter. Manufacturers produce two types of gearboxes:
- served – the device can be disassembled for revision;
- Unqualified – unbearable device, which in case of breakdown needs a complete replacement.
For lubrication of the gearbox, you can use two methods:
- Filling fluid with a medical syringe into a special hole;
- carrying out the lubricant of the disassembled mechanism.
The main stages of the reduction of the gearbox:
- disconnection of the casing and the drive cable;
- unscrewing the bolts that are located behind the fools to fold snow;
- Removal of the rebar of the screw from pulley;
- dismantling of actuator shaft bolts;
- recess of auger and impeller;
- unscrewing middle auger bolts;
- Separation of the gearbox into two parts.
Before replacing the oil, it is necessary to know the amount of fluid, the volume of which depends on the type of motor. This information manufacturer indicates the device’s technical passport. A small amount of lubricating fluid will not allow to ensure full protection of the device, and excess lubrication will result in its fall to the surface of the candles and other device elements.
How often should be changed?
All manufacturers in the instructions on their product recommend the most acceptable types of oil, as well as the frequency of its replacement. In the absence of this information, the novice owners of the vehicles must be consulted with experienced masters. Standard oil replacement in a new device must be made after five hours of operation, the period of the second and third replacement can range from 5 hours to 10 hours. All subsequent manipulations can be carried out after 55 hours of stable operation without exceeding the standard load standards. Under conditions of low temperatures and high snow cover density, the replacement of lubricating fluid should be carried out after 35 hours. Completely drain and change the old oil only when the motor is heated. The frequency of the lubricant fluid depends not only on the model model, but also on the following factors:
- total area of territory;
- relief of the processed section;
- volume and density of snow cover;
- Availability of ice crust.
The use of innovative developments of designers can significantly ease the life of a modern person who will allow to make even snow cleaning with a light and exciting event. The main condition for the stable operation of acquired equipment is timely and competent repair and replacement of lubricating oil.
How to change the oil in a snow blower correctly, look in the video below.