Kalina – a well-known plant that does not require special care and very attractive during flowering and ripening fruit. Many gardeners consider it necessary for at least one bush of Kalina on its site.
Calina Ordinary (Lat. Vibúrnum ópulus) – Fruit shrub or small tree of the adox family. Translated from Latin her name means “knit, weave”. In ancient times in European countries, the bush branches were used for weaving. In the old Slavonic interpretation, the word “Kalina” indicates the saturated red color of fruits.
The plant prefers open solar sections, although generally unpretentious. Easily tolerate changes to weather conditions, including sharp temperature differences. In natural conditions, it grows almost everywhere: In the steppes, in roast forests, where there are open areas, on the shores of the reservoirs.
Shrub reaches a height from 1 to 4.5 m. Cora has a gray-brown shade. Most species have small longitudinal cracks on it.
The leaves of medium-sized viburnum, in length and width are about the same – 6-10 cm. Interesting their form – they can be solid, with horses or 3-5 blade. The upper side has a dark green color, and the bottom – gray-green. In the fall of the color of the leaves varies from orange to a purple shade.
During the flowering period, the bush looks very decorative. Flowers in May-June with beautiful white inflorescences collected in flat panels with a diameter of 2-12 cm.
Fruits – edible red bodies-bonuses oval or round shape, in diameter of about 6-10 mm. Ripen in late August – September. Taste qualities depend on the variety, but everyone has a characteristic taste of bitter. When harvesting at a later time (at a minus temperature), the bitter taste becomes less. Berries are valued for the taste, but for a good vitamin.
Under Garden, Kalina is grown as a decorative and healing plant. In therapeutic purposes, all parts of the plant are successfully used (ragners and infusions of the bark, leaves, berries), which help to cope with various ailments.
Valina Common is represented by a large variety of species.
- Compactum (compactum). Unpretentious kind, grows on any soils, but in the first years he has slowdown. Reaches a height of 1.5-2 m. Features a compact round crown. Three-bladed leaves, in the fall acquire a bright purple shade. Blooms CVSTU for 4-5 years of life. Richly blooms in June. White or pale beige flowers. The fruits are numerous, in diameter about 1 cm, collected in a bunch. Ripen at the end of August and can exert on shrub all winter.
- Xanthocarpum (xantokarpum). Grow up to 2-3 m, Crown in the first years oval, with time branches grow into width and bush acquires a rounded form. Three-bladed leaves, with gear edges, in comparison with other species have a brighter color. The view can grow in shaded places, but at the same time bloom will be weaker. White flowers bloom at the end of May. Mature fruits have a yellow-orange brilliant shade.
- Nanum (Nannum). Refers to decorative dwarf species, height does not exceed 1 m. Crown dense, hemispherical type. Little leaves, three-bladed, dark green, and on the top of the bush of their painting reddish. Flowers rarely, the inflorescence is formed very little. This species is often used for gardening corners of rest, city yard, small squares.
- Roseum (Roseum). Very beautiful view with high decorativeness. A bush can grow up to 4 m. Krone needs pruning and pinching young shoots to increase the number of inflorescences. During the flowering period, the grade amazes with its magnificence – large snow-white stench inflorescences have similarities with a rose. Often used in landscape design, it looks spectacular in group and single landings.
In the conditions of the middle strip and the northern regions of Russia, the varieties of gardening of Siberia are well rising. M. BUT. Lisenavenko.
- “Zarnitsa”. Unpretentious winter hardy grade. In appearance more like a tree, as it forms only 5 skeletal bans and a rare pig. Fruits are not very large, light red. The yield is average – with a bush approximately 4 kg of berries.
- “Taiga Ruby”. Fruitful. A bush reaches medium sizes, its height does not exceed 3 m. Bark smooth, gray shade. The grade has high frost resistance and less often others inclined to damage to pests and diseases. Mature Dark Rubies Fruits. Yield is very high. From an adult bush, you can collect 8-10 kg of vitamin berries.
- “Shukshinskaya”. Foreign variety with regular fruiting. Grows up to 3.5 m. Not afraid of frozen. Berries bright red ballforms, possess a more enjoyable taste, as they contain a greater percentage of sucrose, so bitterness in them is less pronounced. From one adult bush, you can get 6-8 kg of fruits.
Kalina is distinguished by unpretentious, but for abundant flowering and fruiting, it is recommended to plant it on illuminated places. Good grows on neutral or weakness soil. Less preferred for it soil with high peat and sand.
Plant shrubs permissible in spring and autumn.
- The selected place should be switched 2 weeks before landing and add phosphorus-potash fertilizers.
- Before boarding the landing pits of approximately 50-60 cm in size in width and depth. When sitting down several copies, the distance between them should be left about 3 meters, for dwarf decorative varieties – 2 m.
- In the holes to make a humus, 3-4 handstone ash, 2-3 tablespoons of urea and mix.
- Saplings Place in the middle of the pit, root open up 4-5 cm and sprinkle the earth.
- Around the seedlings to arrange a rolling hole and pour off. Top of the soil preferably climb sawdust or peat.
Growing this culture does not represent special difficulties. She can live for more than 60 years, but in the first years it grows slowly and does not bloom. The first flowering and appearance of fruits is no earlier than 2 years after landing. Better trusting Kalina, landed in autumn.
Young seedlings should be watering once a week in the evening, so that the moisture is slower than evaporated. Adult bushes do not need frequent watering, they should be watered as the soil is drying in volume 1 bucket on the bush. In the absence of rains during flowering, you can abundantly water the bushes 2-3 times a week.
Early spring, before the appearance of leaves, Kalina must be filtered with a complex fertilizer – 50 grams, or urea – 1-2 tablespoons for each bush. Before making feeding, you must remove all mulch and pour fertilizer around the trunk. Then produce loosening soil and watering. After the bush can be meditated again.
On the eve of blossoms, it is advisable to fit the Kalina ash or sulfur potassium in the volume of 2 tablespoons on the bush. With the onset of autumn you need to hold superphosphate – 50 grams, or ash – 3 handstone on the bush.
In the roast and dry summer, mineral fertilizers are better dissolved in water (the required amount of dilution in 7-10 liters).
This procedure is better to exercise in the spring, to the growing season. The secateur carefully removes dried branches and deformed shoots growing inside. Also, this procedure increases the circulation of fresh air for the bush. Decorative pruning varieties are needed and for the formation of a beautiful crown.
After about 5 years, a serious rejuvenating trimming is necessary. Old shoots should be cut off to 15-25 cm from the surface of the Earth and leave approximately 15 major branches intact in decorative varieties, and in fruitful – 7-9.
Fighting diseases and pests
Kalina is susceptible to damage to mildew and bacterial spot. You can recognize them by the appearance on the leaves of white plaque (powdery dew), yellow-brown spots or strips with a gradual drying and dying of the leaves. When such deviations are detected, it is necessary to act immediately. Save the plant can remove contaminated escapes and processing of all bushes of the Bordeaux mixture or copper cune.
From pests the greatest harness can be caused a wave and municipal sheets.
To eliminate Tly, it is possible to spray the leaves of the plant with a weak soap solution or a solution of ammonia alcohol (in a bucket of water of 10 liters to dissolve 1 tablespoon of the preparation). The use of acarin and intavir insecticides is very effective.
Kalina Listoyed – the most dangerous pest of viburnum. He lays eggs in young savages of viburnum. The larvae comes out of the eggs in the late spring and begin to eat leaves. In the fight against this insect, prevention is primarily important. It includes the timely destruction of dry branches, as well as the processing of bushes in the spring and autumn insecticidal preparations “Aktellik”, “Kemifos”, “Lightning”. With the mass appearance of larvae and adult beetles, it is necessary to treat bushes as soon as possible by these drugs.
Preparation for winter
All varieties of viburnum ordinary unpretentious and in special training for the winter do not need. With the onset of cold weather under each bush, you should pour a layer by humus to protect the roots from supercooling. In addition, its introduction contributes to the improvement of the composition and structure of the soil.
How to multiply?
For breeding viburnum in the garden plot, the following methods apply.
- Shining. To a greater extent suited for reproduction of decorative forms. To do this, in the period of active growth of shoots (in June), a strong escape is chosen and cut it into parts 12-15 cm long so that a pair of leaves remained from above. At the same time, the upper cut is made direct, and the lower – oblique. It is very important that on each cut part there were 2 or 3 interstices. The cuttings for 8-10 hours should be soaked in the growth stimulator – “heteroacexin”, “epin”, and then planted in a greenhouse at a distance of 7-10 cm from each other, blowing into the ground to the ground for 1-2 cm. In September they are digging and transplanting to open ground.
- Rooting vertical chains. In the fall, about late September – early October, the bushes are chosen for reproduction. The lower shoots are shortened to the growths on which 3-5 kidneys are formed, and the shoots are injected on half of their heights. Spring from these kidneys appear new growths. Upon reaching the height of about 15 cm re-emphasis. Extra roots are formed by autumn on shoots. Separated from mother plants shoots transplant to a new bed and leave there for the winter. With the onset of the spring period, they are transferred to a permanent place.
- Rooting horizontal chains. Exercise in spring. Choose long smooth shoots, flex to the ground and pinpose with wooden brackets into the ground, after which they water abundantly. After some time, the shooting upwards appear from the kidneys when their growth will reach 12-15 cm produce the first dip. As the height increases, the gluts are repeated several times over the summer. In the fall, the escape is digging, carefully separating from the mother’s bush, divided into parts depending on the number of growths and transplant to a new place.
Plants reproduced by vertical or horizontal grains, begin to be fron in 2-3 years.
Application in landscape design
Kalina is valued not only for its medicinal properties, but also for decorativeness, so it can often be found in landscape design. It looks great both in solitary landing and in group compositions.
Often planting viburnum is used as a living hedge or zoning in garden sites and cottage territories. The thick crown will serve as reliable protection against wind and prying eyes. Hebmod height can be adjusted by conducting the necessary crown crown.
Shrub perfectly combined with different colors and other bushes. Effective it will look at the background of coniferous trees, which emphasize her gentle flowering in spring-summer time and add contrast when fruits appear.
If there is a recreation area on the site with a gazebo or playground, landing from several bushes will give them comfort and allow creating a small shadow that sometimes it is very necessary.
Kalina is good alongside many trees – it can be planted next to Maple, Flaw, Ryabina and Birch.
Decorative dwarf species Compactum and Nanum are well combined with any floral compositions, they can be seen not only in open ground, but also in containers. They successfully come up for the design of the Alpinarians.
Kalina Roseum is ideal for landing on flowerbeds. Its snow-white spherical inflorescences will amazingly harmonize with the colors of any sizes and shades.
Kalina is a favorite plant with many, it will decorate any place of the garden plot and will delight with its blossom and abundance of high-pressure berries.
About Kalina Ordinary See More.