This article will talk about Gabions – very unusual adaptations to create a different kind of architectural structures, which recently enjoy becoming increasingly popular with the owners of country and household plots. We will tell you how to use gabions in landscape design, introduce their views and features, as well as give advice on self-installing such designs.
What it is?
First of all, let’s stop a little on the history of Gabion. The Word itself translated from Italian means “Big Cage” and is far from new. It is known that the Great Italian architect, the artist and the inventor Leonardo da Vinci designed the design to strengthen the founding of the Church in Milan. This design was the prototype of modern Gabions. Later, the idea of stuffing braided mesh baskets by stones, the earth and branches of trees took the military for the construction of fortification fortifications. Such baskets were used during Napoleonic wars and in the Crimean Battle: these booms saved soldiers from bullets and shells.
Currently, Gabions have been widely used in landscape design. Filled with stones, colored glass, chips of ceramic products and wooden spikes Mesh containers are an expressive tool for creating large and small architectural forms.
Gabions are very popular with lovers of garden architecture primarily due to a number of attractive properties.
- This is a fairly budget way to reflect the natural landscape compared to many other options. During the construction and arrangement of territories, it is not necessary to attract expensive technique.
- The frame used is high plasticity, such structures are able to fit into any landscape, repeating its outlines.
- Gabions are distinguished by high durability, because the double-twoap metal galvanized wire is made, and for more serious tasks, for example, to strengthen the coastline, gabions produced from welded grids. Over time, the strength of the products is only enhanced by sending to the ground and the growth of the roots of decorative plants planted in the intervals between the filler.
- When installing the gabions, it is not necessary to arrange drainage – the stone scatter in itself is a drainage system, perfectly absorbing water and not destroying.
- Such architectural forms do not require care and restoration – of course, if all work on their installation was performed in compliance with construction norms.
- Due to the special strength of the design, such buildings serve for a very long time.
- Gabions make the impression of monolith, while the air is perfectly passed.
- These decorative designs are made of natural materials, so they are environmentally friendly, which is currently in high demand in people who are seriously related to healthy lifestyle.
- Gabions have aesthetic appearance, giving landscape uniqueness and painting. With their help, you can create real masterpieces of garden architecture; They strengthen the feeling of severe. Possessing the volume and texture, it looks great on the background of smooth surfaces, such as exactly a trimmed lawn, sprinkled by pebbles or asphalted track.
Gabions are perfectly combined with green plants, flowers, as well as elements of structures from other materials, such as wood and metal.
Nevertheless, these peculiar elements of the decor may have negative sides, which should be borne in mind when designing the design of its country area.
- Gabions often look too cumbersome and may not fit into very limited space. Although in this case the relevant option can serve as the creation of small architectural forms, such as small vases or curb borders.
- Due to their design, with the help of gabions the easiest way to create rectangular forms. Retreats from this rule entail an essential cash investment.
- During the construction of large structures, there is a need to resort to the services of specialists: to cope with this installation, it is simply unrealistic.
There are three main types of Gabions: these are rectangular (boxed, jumbo), cylindrical and mattress mattress (Renault). There are also harbions of an arbitrary form, with the help of which the original elements of the landscape design create. Which of these types includes one or another Gabion depends on its purpose and construction, since these structures can perform both decorative and economic function, or to combine both.
Another name of cylindrical gabions – Gabions-bags. These mesh structures are used in the interior to create decorative elements, such supports and columns. With the help of cylindrical gabions decorated with water bodies.
Such capacities in the form of parallelepiped usually consist of steel rods interconnected by means of welding, forming a grid. It is this kind of gabion that is still used to strengthen roads, slopes and bridges, with the help of them build high fences and retaining walls. Rectangular containers have a width and height ratio of 2: 1. Actually the dimensions of rectangular gabions depend on the destination.
Internal partitions are installed to ensure better strength in such containers.
Mattress designs are also called Renault mattresses in honor of the memorable event in Italy, When residents of the city of Bologna prevented flooding on the river of the same name with the help of structures of such a form. Then the Gabions were first used to strengthen river shores. Since then, mattress-mattress structures are used in landscape design to equalize the coast and bottom of the reservoirs.
Gabions arbitrary shape Provide great opportunities for “green” architects, helping to create truly unique forms and sculptures. Thanks to its plasticity, such structures help strain the beauty of green plantings and gentleness of the lawn, as well as reflecting garden beds. There is a wide scope for the realization of the most bold fantasies, because such gabions can have absolutely any shape and size: from a metal frame in the form of a bowl, filled with natural stone, to a artistic executed statue of a person or an animal, also filled with stone, rubble, wood or glass.
Ideas for using gabions
Gabions are used in landscape design to arrange a household territory or country area. With the help of them, you can build durable, but at the same time elegant barriers, allocate functional areas, make beautiful borders, gazebos, stairs, garden furniture and much more.
Gabions are framed by paths and reservoirs, individual plants and flowerbeds, create supports for garden lamps, elegant arches, columns and couches.
Gabion sculptures installed in the garden give the highlight and the unique style of the cottage. These figures can be made in the form of a variety of decorative compositions: fantastic animals and birds, snails, geometric and abstract forms and even people.
Original garden decoration will serve Garden furniture from gabions, such as benches and tables. When creating these interesting items, builders use a combination of different materials, such as stone and wood, ceramics and glass.
Walls and fences
Form and materials Gabions are ideal for the construction of fences, which can be disturbed by the entire area of fastened or alternate stone walls with wooden or metal lattices and even beautifully growing green plants, such as thuja or blue spruce.
Gabions are used to build whole walls, they laid uneven sections, giving them a strict proper form, so such products are perfect for the arrangement of stairs in natural style, for example, leading to the water.
Beautifully look at gazebos from gabions, the size and architecture of which you can diversify infinitely.
In the country and household sections, the zones look very beautiful for mangals and barbecue, Made of smooth mesh-filled structures. Asian cuisine lovers build tandoor from gabions in which fragrant cakes bake and treat their guests.
Also unusually and interesting, fireplaces and open-air furnaces are looking, designed from wire frames with stone filler.
Borders and flowerbeds
Borders along the tracks and flower beds from Gabions – an excellent and original solution for the arrangement of the garden plot in the country. Groceries, covered with mesh capacities placed inside with natural materials, such as cobblestone, crushed stone, and small smooth wooden lamps, look very aesthetic.
You can burn the parisade using rectangular designs in combination with beautiful colors and greens of plants.
With the help of mattress gabions Strengthen the bottom of homemade ponds, rectangular gabions are great for leveling, finishing and strengthening their shores. Artificial islands from gabions, decorated with green plants, conquer their natural beauty.
Tips for mounting
You can purchase ready-made gabions or assemble them yourself.
- To start, draw a schematic plan of your site, highlighting the construction zone, and in the right place apply the drawing of the Gabion construction.
- Next, it is necessary to clear the place for construction and level the platform.
- After that you need to dig the pits, set the supports and concrete them.
- We screw the Gabion Frame to the supports and fill it with the selected material about half.
- Filler can serve as large wreckage of stones, wooden and metal bars, bumps, bark and even glass bottles.
- Be sure to turn the opposite walls of the design with special hooks – it will give it the necessary hardness.
- After full filling of the capacitance, re-tighten the walls and on top pinning the lid.
You can put inside the frame of the layer of lump glass and hindow the LED backlight. Such a product will look just enchanting in the night darkness.
Here’s what the various architectural elements of landscape design, made of gabions look like.
- Retaining wall of Gabions.
- Finishing coast of the creek from Gabions in the country.
- Ornament on a decorative wall made of stones of different colors.
- Gabions with glass.
- Bench in the garden.
- Bowl Gabion with Skusk Glass.
About how to make a gabion do it yourself, look next.