Lush expressive flowering, tart, deep fragrance, huge selection of flowers and shades, shapes, highest decorativeness and not too complex care make peonies, perhaps, the most favorite garden flowers. The luxury of this flower, regardless of the varietal supplies unchanged. As for the species of peonies, their classification is so difficult that even botany disassemble it with difficulty. First of all it should be noted that garden peonies are usually grassy. It is they who decorate landscape areas of flower. There are also tree peonies that differ in the type of stem, height and flowering diameter. But gardening varietal peonies belong to the variety of herbaceous, which, in turn, also has a rather complicated classification.
Garden peonies belong to perennials, the beginning of their time removal is comparable to the ancient period of history – then their varieties have numbered several dozen. Most of the varieties and hybrids were brought by breeders in the XIX and XX centuries.
Herbatous peonies are obtained from different crossings of the medicinal species and milk-flush. It is they who have magnificent large flowers that we used to see in the plots.
With its name, peonies are obliged to the ancient Greek God, Peaan, to the healer of the Gods of the Olympians. He treated them from the most complex diseases and wounds with the help of magical medicinal plants, and it was he who forced the god of the patron of the doctors of the Eskulap to envy himself. Cusar Eskulap poisoned Pean, but the God of the Dead Aid, cured at one time, turned him into a beautiful flower.
Garden peonies have a fat root, the development of which is quite non-standard. Fresh appendage roots appear annually, and the previous root processes become more and stronger, transforming into the tubers. The root system of peonies go deep into the meter, and in the width – to half a meter. For the winter period, the stalking part of the plant dies, in the spring it grows again.
Distinctive plant characteristics:
- A bush reaches a height from the half-meter to the meter depending on the variety;
- It has the form of a sprawling, lush, but a straight bush;
- Soothes of a branched type, there are quite large complex foliage on them;
- The sheet is dense, dark green, spectacular shape, decorating flowering volume, texture, expressive graphitrability;
- Autumn foliage is painted in dark crimson and serves as an ornament of the landscape up to frosts;
- The brightest distinguishing feature is a large, spectacular flowering of the top type;
- Blossom starts after disembarking for 3 or 4 years;
- Single-type flowers are either collected in inflorescences of 3 flowers in the top of the plant;
- Round petals or oval, the edge of them is slightly wavy, they are collected in a whitewashing on a cup of cups, the number of which reaches 10;
- In the flower there are many stamens with anthers;
- Blossom is characterized by puff, luxury and high decorativeness, flower texture satin, gentle;
- Form, size, the degree of flowering terrain differ depending on the variety;
- The flower diameter varies from 10 to 20 cm;
- Flowers are characterized by a pronounced blurred aroma with tart and sweet notes.
The flowering period begins with May and continues until the beginning of July, depending on the variety.
Machine type varieties are characterized by a longer flowering period.
If we take averaged indicators, then the flowering of peonies, as a rule, does not exceed a three-week interval, which can be increased due to the right departure, comfortable temperature and humidity. After the flowers fall out, the fruits-multist board are formed.
What colors are there?
A variety of colors and shades of peonies amazes with its magnificence. Choose peonies to your taste can every gardener. In addition to the classic palette, the varieties of unusual colors – green, black.
White peonies – these are royal varieties that have become the starting point for breeders. Spectacular representatives of this color are the following varieties.
“Mommin Favorite”. High shrubs with terry large (up to 18 cm) blossom of snow-white tone with the finest aroma.
- Moon River. A bush is a sunlight amateur, quite high, with a large flower of the perfect shape with a diameter of up to 20 cm and a cream tint, which, when blewing, can acquire light pink halftone. Differs not too pronounced aroma and late flowering time, as well as the absence of pestles and stamens.
Pink peonies – This is one of the most popular varieties using great love of flower water. Gamma is very rich in shades of pink, it varies from the most pale tones to juicy purple.
The brightest representative of the pink group – “Sarah Bernard”. This variety has been more than a century, it is distinguished by a luxurious dense semi-semi-large (more than 20 cm) colors with concave-type petals, the edges of which are highlighted with a lighter shade of pink.
Looks high bush very aristocratic and spectacularly, he became a pillar of lilac and red varieties.
Lilac peonies – it is pretty rare flowers. They are cast by lilac, often have several overflowing tones. Popular representative of this color gamma – “Altai News”. This domestic grade is distinguished by high decorativeness despite the simple shape of the flower without Mahra. The petals are wavy, double-row, stem strong, high, blossom is not too large, openwork type, abundant, up to 100 flowers on the bush, scent strong.
Burgundy – this is a very popular view among gardeners, although varieties in such a range are not so much. Bring the classic tone of burgundy peonies is quite difficult.
“Armani” – High shrub having a foliage of a brilliant type, the buds are thick, with Mahra. Petals of different sizes, cast a gloss, tone saturated, deep, imperial.
- “Peter Brand” – High shrub, strong, strong, foliage bright. The flower is large, decorated with Mahra, similar to the type with a rose, color has a deep burgundy, the inflorescence can be two- or three-color.
Red peonies have one of the most catchy and expressive palettes and luxuriously look in the landscape. Tones of flowers vary from the shade of a cinnaker to a bright scarlet.
“Typhoon” – domestic variety having brightly scarlet flowers by type of ball with Mahra, up to 15 cm in diameter. They have a curved diverse petal, high tailout shrub, unseen fragrance.
- “Hot chocolate” Has double-rowed juicy red petals that are cast by a gloss. Stamens are focused on golden dots, the shrub is high, bloom is not too large. Very expensive variety.
Yellow peonies Rarely meet, most often they are diluted with luminosity of lemon shades, sand, terracotta. Piions of these shades were detected rather difficult, as this pigment is unstable. Best Representative of the View – Sort “Lemon Chiffon”. Led him in Holland, it is characterized by a spectacular semi-red, moving in Mahru after a few years of flowering. The bud is very large – up to 24 cm, has a gentle-lemon light shade with stamens of a darker yellow tone, not prone to burnout, bush fasteners.
Coral – This series of peonies, which was removed in the middle of the twentieth century and immediately acquired great popularity. A distinctive feature of this color is the rapid and rather strong burnout from the sun. Best Representative – “Coral Beach”.
This variety of the shape of petals by the type of heart resembles a lotus.
Flowering large – up to 20 cm, can change the tone for flourishing to peach, the aroma is sweetish, a bush high and strong.
There are not very many rare peonies. Most often they belong to the tree, but meet among the Garden. Original representatives.
- “Striped Lollipops” – Differently distinguished Mahra cream shade with raspberry and pink stripped strips. Flowers are large, bush high, have a floral flavor with fruit notes.
- “Purple Spider” – Flower is non-standard in shape, its shade is close to fuchsia, petals in the shape of a plate, stamens with pink dots, fragrant. Blossoming is small.
- “Bean” – Flowers of this variety resemble a form of a bomb. Stem long, with semi-empty and Mahra, depending on the flowering period. Flower shade Almost black, large size.
- “Green Ball” – The flower has a bomb shape, blossoming with Mahra, large, shade of petals – light greens.
In addition to fission on woody and herbous species, there are other, more complex peonies classifications. Due to the fact that the number of varieties has already reached 5 thousand, and annually breeders withdraw all new and new varieties, classify herbaceous peonies is very difficult. Most of the modern varieties are derived by breeding a peony of milk-flux. In itself, it is characterized by a large flower of light shades, resistant to cold and disease.
Conditionally, these flowers are divided into milk-fluxful clean varieties and hybrids that occurred from him. They differ:
- juicy, deep shades of flowering;
- lush foliage;
- Early blossoms.
Classification depending on the type of flowering is considered the simplest. According to the presence and degree of terrorism, the following groups of plants are distinguished.
- Neakhrovaya. It includes two-row and single-row five-deck plants – the most simple of all.
- With semi-grades. Include three- and more row types of petals, which, in turn, are divided on the following subgroups:
- Japanese – with large petals in the center and a double row rinse;
- Anemoneovoid – their whine is single-row, many stamens moving in a narrow-type petals;
- Typical semi-world – Different with separate stamens, two- or three-row.
- With Mahra. Differs in lush flowers framed by thick Mahra. It has the following subgroups:
- Sharo-shaped – Looks like dense bombs or balls, the large petals of which are horizontally;
- Hemisphere – resemble a saucer with hemispheres, their Mahra is thick, the petals of the eushy, which focuses on the external radiius of the petals are larger;
- Pink-shaped – Mahra is thick, the flowers are small, compactly decorated, the petals add up to one whole;
- Polourozoids – Their Mahra is thick, reminds a rose in its appearance, in the center there are stamens with a beam;
- Coronary – Petals inside narrow, in the form of the crown, expand closer to the edges.
In height of the bush, peonies are divided into:
- low-rise – up to 50 cm;
- Average – from 50 to 90 cm;
- High – from 90 cm.
There is another way to divide peonies – Depending on the timing of flowering:
- early flowering;
- middle flowering;
- Late blossom.
There are rare disappearing species, such as, Mountain peony. He is listed in the Red Book, as the risk of its disappearance is.
It has medicinal properties, very attractive for flowerflowers due to a rare beauty, but practically does not take root after the transplant.
The variety of varietal peonies literally affects imagination, and every year they are becoming more and more.
Choosing flowers for your site, be sure to evaluate the resistance of shoots – usually the younger varieties, the more they are strong.
We present you the most popular among the flower products of the variety of this plant.
“Old Feitful” – Spectacular dense flowers with luxurious Bagrova Mahra. The height of the bush – up to 90 cm.
“Green Halo” – Original snow-white flowers with an unusual cut of a salad shade. High height bush, flower diameter – up to 10 cm.
“Bowl of Beauty” – one of the most nontrivial varieties. Flowers are large, with a wide crossing of pink petals. Inside the flower snow-white, terry, lush.
“Elsa Sass” – Gentle white flowers with a light pinkish fler in the middle of the petals. High height bushes, late driving.
- “Salmon Dream” – It has a large flower of salmon shade with a yellow terry core.
“Nancy Norm” – Pink Flowers of Terry Type. The grade is distinguished by grace, foliage density. Tint of petals bright with white-lilac colors. Flowers are not susceptible to burnout, scent resistant.
“Celibriti” – Flowers with a chaotic arrangement of saturated rose and white petals. Bush high, blooms for quite a long time.
Cora Stabs – one of the most popular in the middle strip of varieties. Color pink with different shades, there is a rich mahra in the center, wide petals around the edges.
“Bowl of Crim” – The flower has creamy-dairy tint of petals, and the middle of yellowish, bright.
- “DEL TELL” – Unusual peony of gentle pink tone with a terry middle. Occurs in different variations of shades.
“Summer Glauge” – It has a spherical shape of flowers with an exquisite shade of cream, peach with overflows.
“Dress” – Externally resembles a mountain peony. Flowers with bright yellow middle and dark cherry petals.
“Pastel Spling” – One of the most unusual varieties, its yellow tight-tight-hearted-riveted flower, moving in barely pink, almost white wide petals around the edges.
“Pillow Tok” – bombing peony, having very large flowering light pink, sometimes with light lilac, colors.
- “Pearl Rossel” – variety with a mid-flowering period. Mature shrub having white-pink colors.
Examples in landscape design
As for accommodation in the landscape, peonies are one of the most popular gardening, which are good both in the garden and in the cutting. They are beautiful in bouquets. Landscape designers recommend landing peonies on sites for the following reasons:
- They fit perfectly into any ensemble, regardless of the selected style;
- good as single inclusions in the composition and in complex tandems;
- Very spectacular look due to high decorativeness;
- allow you to create both lush, bulk ensembles and structured.
- Use peonies in the middle zone of the composition;
- These plants look good in flower beds, alpine slides, borders;
- they can be spectacularly decorated with them lawn, form a track, arrange a terrace, front beds;
- Use peonies where bright accent is needed.
The best partners for peony on the plot:
Perhaps a combination of peonies with tulips, crocuses, prolescons, forsies, roses, dtscentra, barbaris, violets, ivy.
Video about pion varieties, landing and leaving below.