Evergreen coniferous plants are widely used in landscape design. Among the wide variety of species and varieties, each gardener will be able to choose the most suitable, the form of the crown and other parameters. Excellent representative of this family – Santkist grade.
Western Tui are rather unpretentious plants, most often well-carrying frosts and drought growing both in the shade and on the illuminated area. Their historic homeland is North America, mainly eastern areas. Here they grow giants – up to twenty meters high.
Differ in the form, width and height of the tree, as well as paint covers.
Thuja Western Sankist is considered one of the most valuable varieties, comes from the famous Lutea variety. Translated from English Sunkist means “beam of the sun”.
The description of the variety includes the important parameters that an experienced gardener should know.
- Crown in the form of a smooth cone, the branches grow tightly, straight up, slightly twisting and forming a semblance of “shells”.
- The dimensions of the young tree increase very slowly. During the year, the increase is usually about five centimeters (both in width and height). At the age of ten years, it grows up to 2-2.5 meters with a crown of 1.5 m. In the future, it can still stretch a little, but the height of the adult instance cannot be more than 4.5-5 meters.
- An interesting feature of the variety is the color of the needles, which varies depending on the time of year and the location of the seedling. Early spring young “needles” yellowish-golden. In the summer, the color becomes more saturated on the illuminated area, and in the shadow, on the contrary, it acquires greenish shades. Late in the fall and winter needles of the thuu of this variety can be noble bronze color. Bark on the trunk – gray or reddish color, peckles a bit.
- The plant is shadowfully, but much decorative looks on an outdoor sunny or half-directed place.
- Characterized by high winter hardiness, withstands frost to – 42 degrees. Good opposed winds.
- Danger represents sunburns, especially in the winter-spring period, as well as wet and melting snow capable of breaking tender twigs.
- Poor tolerates a long drought – Crohn becomes cut, the needles fades, decorative is lost.
Tui Sankist varieties are best planted on an open plot with light shading in the hottest clock.
To the composition of the soil, the plant is manifelized, but preference gives fertile and well-loose soils, without moisture.
Landing this decorative tree should be carried out according to a specific scheme.
- Dig pit. Its width – twice the volume of the roots of the seedling, and the depth – 60-80 centimeters.
- If the soil waters are close to either the soil heavy, with a large clay content in the composition, drainage is needed. For this, the bottom of the pits fall asleep with rubble or broken bricks, while the thickness of the layer should be no more than 20 cm.
- Then the soil mixture consisting half of the turf with the addition of 1/4 peat and 1/4 of the sand. The seedling is installed in the middle of the pit, strictly vertically, and gradually pour the ground. Slightly condensed, plump, pour up.
- To reduce evaporation, the prior circle is mulched with chopped pine bark, chips or peat.
Events The care of the Thuy is very simple.
- At first, after planting, young plants require frequent watering – one or twice a week depending on weather conditions. Under each tree poured one by one bucket of water, with a strong heat and drought – two buckets. Sometimes it is necessary to arrange soul spacins to wash off dust with needles. In the future (as they grow) watered once every two weeks. You need to try to avoid drying the earth under the tree.
- IMPORTANT AND TIMARY FEDERATION. After the rain or watering the top layer of the soil loose, and then add a mulch.
- For better development and decorative, plant feed. Spring make fertilizers with nitrogen-phosphoric composition, and in the fall – potash. Consumption standards can be read in the instructions. Caution: In no case cannot be made under thus manure, humid or urea! From this tree will die!
- Late in the fall or at the very beginning of winter, the krona of the thui is tightened with twine and wrapped with burlap or by observing material. This is done in order to protect the gentle hive from sunburn in early spring, as well as save the branches from sticking snow and faults.
- Spring shelter is removed, the plant inspect. Make trimming, remove damaged twigs, carry out the formation of the crown.
- This variety is distinguished by a strong immunity, it is extremely rarely damaged by diseases and pests.
To avoid damage to fungal diseases, for the prevention in the spring period, the crown of 1% is a bordeaux liquid.
Tuya “Sankist” – an excellent choice for the design of the country and the naud. The variety is unpretentious in care, it is well tolerating trimming and formation. From the crown you can create a wide variety of figures, it is also suitable for living hedges, group and single landings on the lawn, in the rocky garden. Thuja looks very good in the mountaineers, in the company of blooming perennial plants.
Detail about the Tuyah “Sankist” you will learn by looking at the following video.