One of the favorite gardeners of decorative garden shrubs is the Berozoliste Spirea, which can be grown in the southern regions, and in the middle lane due to its winter hardiness and endurance. The plant has its own subtleties of landing, reproduction and care, which you need to know when it is cultivated.
Description of the shrub
Decorative Spirae Berezolistic (Latin Spiraea Betulifolia) has another name – Tollga. This beautiful-moving view is unpretentious in caring, can grow on different soils and well withstands harsh winter cold.
Plant Description includes a number of characteristics.
- The kroon in the form of a ball has the same parameters as its height – 50-80 cm, foliage retains its decorativeness throughout the summer.
- Shrub branches are distinguished by moderate growth, young shoots prevail the reddish color of the bark, while adult bushes she brown-brown.
- The dimensions of the leaves from 2.5 to 4.5 cm in length with a width of 1.5 cm. Color – green, deep, on the underside. Shape – Egg-shaped with a pointed tip and jazz edges.
- Spirea blooms at the age of 3-4 years, as a rule, in the second half of June, but the flowers are kept for a short time – about two weeks. Inflorescences are a brush in which the lower flowers are longer than the upper, and it turns out that the flowers seems to form a horizontal range.
- Flowers have pinkish, pale and deeper shades, sometimes gentle cream or white. Gardeners who do not multiply the culture of seeds, for preserving decorativeness, shovel brushes are removed when they start fading.
Particularly bright coloring of the leaves and colors can be achieved, acidifying the soil for spiries, but in this regard, different varieties of plants can be somewhat different in their preferences.
Distinctive features of the species are its ability to purify air, highlighting phytoncides, as well as the purchase of foliage of beautiful gold and orange shades in the autumn period. One day Spiree planted in the garden is capable of blooming and look picturesquely, but then it is advisable to update it by maximum trimming of the branches.
There are several popular varieties of plants, who successfully arrived in the gardens of lovers of this culture:
- Tor Gold – Compact bush, not higher than 70 cm height, has a rounded crown in the shape of a ball. The variety is able to change the color of the leaves depending on the phases of vegetation – they are green, golden, bright red, burgundy and lilac. Small white flowers are saved on a shrub starting from the first days of summer and until mid-August.
- A spherical crown, in the circumference of 1.5 m component, has Island grade, At the same time, its height ranges from 80 cm to 1 m. The plant loves the illuminated areas and unpretentiously to the composition of the soil. His inflorescences in the form of shields include many snow-white colors.
- “TOR” – Decorative grade with a hemispherical form of an overhead part, circle and 1.5 height. His flowers have a pale beige, yellowish or creamy shade. Culture is distinguished by high frost resistance, especially well develops on peeled soils, because of which its foliage becomes a deeper color.
- Beautiful pink flower petals are characteristic of a compact small shrub sizes Pink Sparkler. Height he grows up to 50-60 cm. The miniature bush looks very effectively due to the dense crown and unusual, original shade of petals.
The listed varieties of spirea differ in their sizes, colorful and shape of the crown, different flowering periods, but they are all highly appreciated for their botanical and decorative qualities and are widely used for design of gardens and parks.
Rules of cultivation
Landing – a responsible moment in the cultivation of decorative culture. Therefore, each stage of this process and preparation for it is important.
Optimal time to disembark Spiray in open soil – Spring and autumn. So that the exposure to sunlight does not injure seedlings, for this procedure it is wiser to choose rainy, even a rainy day.
Choosing a place
For the shrub, it will be suitable for a well-lit plot with light shading, in a place where groundwater lies quite deeply.
Preparation of soil
For good adaptation and rapid growth, the bush is needed fertile, sublinous land with elevated levels of acidity. Additionally, it is necessary to introduce organic fertilizers to the ground – overwhelmed manure or compost.
Algorithm of actions:
- 10 days before landing, a hole for a seedling of 60 cm deep, which in size should exceed the cooler of the roots by 1/3;
- Between the plants, the intervals of 0.5 m are left, smaller intervals are permissible if a live fence is created;
- On the bottom of the pits, the drainage of gravel and shallow pebbles or clay;
- The substrate for the culture must contain peat, humid, large sand and turf;
- The root system of young busta in front of the landing is lowered into the water with a growth stimulant dissolved in it.
- Container plants are abundantly shedding with water for safe extraction;
- Spiren is placed in a hole with a root neck located at the ground level.
The lunaries of the earth, it is necessary to pour the land under the shrub, before it sprinkled its mulch.
Features of care
Spiree needs regular watering, mulching, feeding nutritional components and other procedures necessary for its cultivation.
It is necessary to irrigate the priority zone 1-2 times in 15 days, pouring about two vestors of water under each bush. Fully stop the watering in cool weather (+10 degrees and below). Mulch accommodation occurs after irrigation, optimal materials – peat crumb, loosening in this case irrelevant.
Twice for a period of vegetation, the plant fertilizes – spring water with a solution of liquid manure mixed with superphosphate. Before the formation of buds is required to be added to the soil, including phosphorus and potassium.
For group plants, molding haircut, supporting bushes in a neat state. Sanitary trimming is carried out in the spring – the old and young shoots are cut into the first intercause. In adult shrubs aged 4-5 years, 25 cm long branches are left for rejuvenation.
The preparation of Spirey to wintering is to inspect and remove spoiled shoots, the bushes are mounted with an organic and peat to protect the plant from small animals, a shrub of a fine grid is fencing. To cover a frost-resistant shrub with special protective materials no need.
Methods of breeding
Each gardener chooses for itself the most convenient way to breed spiraea birch.
You can draw a shrub at autumn time. During the procedure, branches growing vertically, young, and have time to win. After that, only the top leaf leaves are left, and the branch in the solution for the root formation is placed. In containers with moistened sand cuttings landed with a slight inclination. In the autumn they are injected into the ground, and they are covered to the spring landing.
A simple way for novice gardeners – getting molding. Lower healthy shrub shoots need to be picked into the soil under the maternal plant in the cooked shallow pits, and, reliably consolidation, constantly moisturize the priority circle of an adult bush. Along with the, other agrarian works can be carried out, but with caution, trying not to damage the process of forming roots at the future seedling. For the winter, the land is molded, shelted with protective materials, and separated shoots with roots in spring, while they are planted in an outdoor ground.
So you can get deals from plants aged 3-4 years. In the fall, the land is well under the spirits, pour out in a circle, remove the bush and the sharp tool is separated into several parts. Each must have intact trunk and strong roots. Shrubs can be planted in the soil, but for the winter will have to thoroughly stole them so that no freezing happens.
The seed method is not too popular because it takes a lot of time and effort. Very important high quality seeds, otherwise they may not climb. Seed seedlings in spring, after spending antifungal processing and stratification. In greenhouse conditions, seeds germinate, then they are dismissed. For the winter, young plants are better to move to the greenhouses, and planting at a permanent place next spring.
Diseases and pests
Such a culture as Spirea is rarely subjected to diseases and attacks of harmful insects. But with incorrect agrotechnology from these troubles, it may suffer.
Common problems with which gardeners face when growing shrubs – gray mold, different types of spot. For treatment, it will be necessary to cut off fully affected by the fungus twigs, and spray with fungicidal preparations.
Effective result gives a protective and contact means “Ditan M-45”, able to help when infecting perionospherov, phytofluoric and other pathogenic fungi. And also from many fungal diseases, it is advisable to apply “benomyl” as as therapy and for prevention. The easiest method – processing burgundy fluid in spring time.
In dangerous pests that threaten the normal growth and active vegetation of bushes include:
- The web tick, the signs of the vital activity of which the appearance of whiten specks on the leaves, and in the future their yellowing and drying;
- Sheet TLL and its larvae – pests suck the life juices from young twigs, as a result of which they lose their attractiveness and may die.
Related damage plant can apply other pests – sawers, whiteflies and leaflets, ticks. In such a situation, the use of acaricidal and insecticidal agents.
Application in landscape design
Berezolistic grade is grown for use in single and group landings. High decorative properties of the plant allow you to create various original compositions with its participation:
- Spirea looks spectacular as the framing of rocky gardens and flower beds using landscaped stones;
- A successful application option is a combination with other elements in the Alpine slide;
- Culture is indispensable with a device of such an elegant flower garden as a mixture;
- With the help of group spires, you can beautifully zonate the plot, especially for this is suitable for the miniature varieties of Toll.
Blooming shrub can decorate the porch, green lawns, well combined with high and low-spirited coniferous trees and bushes. Often, original ensembles are obtained when the spirea bushes are combined with perennial bright and large flowers, park roses and astrams, flowering bushes of Weigel, lilac and hydrangea.
The most remarkable quality of the birch spirea – it is beautiful not only at the moments of flowering. Shrub retains decorative constantly, creating a good mood and unique garden atmosphere at any time.
Read more about Spirae Berezoliste Look in the video below.