Sickle – one of the oldest agricultural tools, this is a kind of knife with reverse bending, it was used with deep antiquity for the harvest of cereals and billets for livestock. The antiquity of the guns confirm the indirect data, for example, a comparison of the mold of the moon in some phases with the form of this tool.
What it is?
The sickle is made called the blade curved by a semicircle on the handle, intended for cutting of non-sections or herbs. As it looks, you can imagine, having studied the symbolism, widespread in the heraldry of socialist countries in the XX century. Modern sickles have a jar on the blades that increase the cutting ability of the inventory.
The first sickles were made of wooden curved stick with sharp flock blades inserted into it, Traces of such tools of labor Archaeologists found in the Middle East, studies revealed their gradual distribution worldwide along with the spread of agriculture. The wooden part was split, flat small sharp decheshes were inserted into the cracks, then the whole design was fed into the water, the wood was swelling and clamping fragments of silica.
With the development of metallurgy began to appear copper, and then bronze sickles, such guns were found on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea. Modern view of the sickle acquires in the XVIII century. It is then these products begin to produce massively. Now SERP – ordinary garden inventory and you can meet it in the country areas. In the fields, it has long been replaced by combines, and in the meadows – haymelines.
What is it needed for what?
Direct Purpose of Sickle – Harvest, Mounted Bread Clauses. For this purpose, it was invented and improved not one millennium. Function of modern sickles – mowing grass. The help of this ancient instrument has to resort if the site for any reason zeros.
Trimmer with his fishing line such a bush will not take. SPOS-Litovka requires certain skills when adjusting, and it will be able to use it in our time. So again I was useful for a sickle time.
The teeth on the hormone inside the sickle blade are successfully coped sometimes even with the widespread bungyan. With this tool you can also cover herbs for rabbits or poultry. Narrow aisle is also quite comfortable to connect with a sickle. This tool can be mounted in grass near the trunks of garden trees and shrubs, reflect fences or hedges.
So long time development of the tool could not but affect its appearance and device. Classify modern sickles can be found in a number of signs.
By type of handles
According to the results of sales, sickles, having a handle of 11 cm long and 3 cm in diameter, are absolutely leading. Handles are wooden or plastic. It is preferable to a wooden handle: it does not slide and does not turn in the hand, it is not “afraid of” sunlight and never beats when the tool falls. Awakened from time to handle can be fastened, seeing the tool in the water.
The length of the cutting edge of the serp varies from 25 cm to 50 cm. Accordingly, the width varies – from 4 to 6 cm. The most commonly used tools are used – up to 35 cm long and about 200 g.
In the form of the blade, all modern sickles are divided into three groups.
- Serp-herbalist, intended for the harvesting of grass, has a smooth, without a semicircular blade with a 4 cm width blade.
- A classic sickle with a suspending end and a served blade was intended for harvesting grain crops. This form still remains the most popular.
- The enhanced Sickle has a classic form, but is distinguished by a greater thickness and total mass. This is a universal tool, the range of use of which extends from the harvest before cutting the shoots of shrubs.
By material blades
For the manufacture of modern gardening inventory, steel is used, but the quality it happens different. For irregular and small in terms of work, ordinary steel. But the tools that have difficult work should be made of more expensive tempered steel. For a multi-day harvest, probably, such a high-quality sickle would be value, but there is practically no such work on modern summer cottages. You can find on sale stainless steel products, but, except for an attractive appearance, other advantages, despite the high price, they do not have.
How to work with him?
The technique of work sickle was honed over a huge time. The harvest by sickle is described in a variety of literary works, immortalized in the works of artists illustrating this process.
Features of the equipment are determined by the presence or absence of teeth on the sickle blade. The smooth blade of grass is cut off, and served – repelled. In the second case, the instrument features are much wider. Smooth sickle-herbalist applies for billets of juicy herbs. For dry or weathered vegetation, it will not fit.
Sickle, having a strongly curved form, appeared not by chance, it helped to distribute the effort along the entire surface. Thus, the reinforcement force was distributed evenly, and it was possible to work almost without stopping, only with small breaks, during a whole day of day. The norm was considered to clean up approximately 150 square meters per hour.
The process of operation tool can be divided into three stages.
- Separation of parts of plants stems using a pointed end of the blade.
- Capture of separated skes with left hand at about the mid-length level.
- Cutting captured in a bunch of stems. The movement must be smooth, without sharp jerks, it will not accelerate anything at all, only requires excessive boss energy.
Cut grass or other plants will not differ, as when working trimmer, and remain in hand and can be put as it is necessary. A serious lack of work with a sickle – a constantly bent back of the employee, this factor once became an important motive of the creation of spit-humpback – a kind of sickle on a long handle, and then braids-litolovka, with which at all should not be touched.
Sickle is a rather dangerous tool. In inept hands, he is able to apply a serious crushing or a cut wound, above all, the cavity itself. With deep antiquity in many countries, the sickle, along with a chain or an ax, was a weapon of peasant militia. To avoid injury, it is recommended to mow only at a convenient body position when the blade is visible and its position is known.
Tips for care
- The serpent digested blade does not need sharpening, over time it is thinning and becomes even sharper with some reduction of weight.
- More demanding to care flat blade. Before starting work, it should be improved. In some cases, the sickle canvas are beaten like a spit cloth. This requires an anvil and a special hammer-bump.
Bring the blade to the condition will help manual sharpening. You should sharpen short movements along the blade, unscrewing it from ourselves, pressing the handle to the chest and gradually turning as work.
- At the end of the work, the blade must be tucked carefully, it is possible to make it a bevel of bevelled grass so that there are no parts of plants or land, they can cause corrosion. Sickle needed in a suspended state, for example, on the wall, so that all parts of it, including the handle, quickly sucked after contact with plants juices.
About how to use the sickle, see next video.