Red roses are a real classic. Some varieties are pleased with their frost resistance, others – beautiful and abundant blossoms, others are able to create sweeping bushes. Very lovers of grade gardeners, capable of climbing the vertical wall for several meters, as they help create unique objects in landscape design.
Red roses in the garden are immediately striking, because they have a bright, saturated color. No wonder they are considered one of the best to create romantic bouquets. Breeders brought many types of this flower, whose buds differ in form, color intensity and size. There are flowers with a gentle, scarlet tint, and the intensity of the color of some varieties comes to burgundy. Sensual and exciting, red roses conquer the hearts of the gardeners.
Most of the varieties of breeders managed to obtain by multiple crossing and subsequent selection. Some of the varieties of roses – anchored species of wild plants.
Best varieties and their characteristics
In nature, there are almost no deep red shades of roses, many were shown by breeders for decades. These include grades of hybridity and tea plants, Floribunds and English roses. The list of the most distinguished varieties is presented below.
- “Climson Shower” – demonstrates the bunches of small, raspberry-red flowers from the middle of the summer. Plant is kept by large clusters in inflorescences. Dark foliage and brilliant. The bush pleases flowering until September.
- “Trust Prince” – Rose with bright, red flowers. It refers to varieties that can be plane on vertical surfaces. During the flowering period, borders of raspberry-red buds with beautiful, velvety petals appear. A bush has a shiny glossy foliage and light fragrance.
- “Alay Glory” – a curly rose with a large buton of dark raspberry color, on which a purple shade appears over time. Blossom starts at the beginning of summer, buds are arranged on a bush. Will please the plant with a saturated aroma. Rose was removed in 1935.
- “Peter Pen” – Rose, which was brought in 1998. This is a dark red hybrid-tea flower, which has tiny glossy foliage.
- “L. D. Breituet “ – English rose with large flowers that appear on the bush during the whole period of flowering. This is the brightest variety with light raspberry color from all English roses. Petals are freely located, form beautiful, big inflorescences. As a result, fluffy, rather empty shrub.
- “Mansteted Wood” – Rose, which won a lot of awards. This is a bush grade that has velvety flowers, raspberry shade with lighter outdoor petals. Large flowers over time degenerate into smaller. Strong fragrance comes from the bush.
- Royal William – hybrid-tea rose, with wonderful aroma and classically pointed, crimson flowers. Buds have velvety-red and rich fragrance. Shrub grows pretty quickly.
- “Violetta” – It has small, cropted, raspberry-purple flowers with yellow stamens. Spasidical bush can please light, fruit aroma.
- “Alec Red” – Rose, which is characterized by the presence of a plurality of large petals in the booton. Tint Cherry Red. The plant has a strong aroma, it blooms several times during the season.
- “Alexander” – appreciated for very bright, long unfavorable flowers. The grade belongs to the hybrid-tea, so quickly grow up, demonstrates excellent resistance to temperature drops, can grow in shaded terrain. For the first time brought Rose in 1972.
- “Allen Chandler” – It is famous for large, semi-friendly flowers with a special brilliance and bright color, which is closer to the raspberry. Open, flower demonstrates gold stamens. The shrub blooms richly at the beginning of the season, and then several times over the summer.
- “Spray” – This is not a small-ceiling rose, on the contrary, it is popular for large flowers and their rich pink shade.
The description says that the maximum height of the bushes is one meter. Despite the abundance of flowers, the bush absolutely does not smell.
There are certain rules for planting rose saplings, and if they do not comply with, it will be enough to get healthy bushes. Cutting or harassment is made in strictly indicated by professionals, and an adult plant may die. Roses are best growing with good sunlight. If it is impossible to find a place where the sun’s rays fall all day, then you should find a platform where they are in the morning, because the morning sun helps to quickly dry leaves. Morning sunny rays is a great prevention of diseases. But the afternoon sun in the middle of summer can burn petals.
Roses do not tolerate raw soils. If well-drained areas are not available, it is worth considering the possibility of landing on the hill or install drainage separately. The roots of most varieties do not compete with trees and shrubs planted nearby. But the best results can be achieved if you grow flowers on the flower beds. It is advisable to periodically feed them with fertilizers and water water to fill the number of elements consumed by other plants. It is very important to know that Rose root system badly competes with roots of lawn grass, so it should not grow near their foundation.
Choice and storage of seedlings
Roses are usually sold by two-year, after they were grown in the open ground if an adult plant is already bought with flowers. They are sorted according to the size. The largest is the first grade, and each subsequent has flowers of smaller diameter. Roses can be sold with an open root system in local nurseries. You can also place an order by mail. When choosing plants in the store you need to make sure that the stalks are dense and green with a smooth, crude bore. It is important to consider the roots – preference should be given to the landing material, which has a root system well balanced. There is less weight in the dead rose, and the branches are brittle.
It is worth remembering that sleeping roses supplied for sale in stores, a premature, weak increase will soon begged in the warm room. For a few weeks it can weaken or even kill the plant. After buying and immediately before landing, it is worth immersing the roots of such a planting material into the water.
Container plants can be purchased and disembarking almost anytime during the growing season. Sometimes they are sold already with flowers, when placing inflorescences will not be discarded, the process will continue, as it should be. Such plants should always be in a large capacity, as the root system of them for the time of sale quite well expands. If it is planned to plant on the same day or the next, soaked the roots for several hours or at night in the water, if not, then you can still slightly dry the rose before removing it for storage. Withstand no more than 24 hours in water, otherwise you can damage the seedlove.
You can moisten the packaging material and remove into the cool place where the shrub will not be able to freeze. In this type of roses, 2-3 additional days can be stored. If you need to hold longer, then you should bring roots to open air. Roses are placed in a shallow trench and cover roots with soil. If the tops dry, it will be useful to place all the plant in the trench and cover both the top and roots of the earth before landing.
Time and place landing
So that the bushes have gained growth, it is necessary to clearly define the time and place of their landing. The optimal duration of the disembarkation depends on the climatic features of the region. Where the temperature does not fall below -10 degrees Fahrenheit, either in the fall, or in the spring it is worth landing. If the gardener lives in the area where the temperature drops below this mark, preferably the spring landing. Plants planted into the ground when they are at rest if they are purchased with a naked root, but roses grown in containers can be planted throughout the growing season.
From the temperature may depend on the distance between the bushes. In areas with harsh winters, it is better if the landings will be made more often, the bushes can be seeded in a soft climate. Rose root before boarding must be cut slightly to remove broken ends. After buying immediately unpack the plant.
When roses are ready for landing, you need to make sure that the roots are not dry, and the pit is cooked correct. Soil or bed should be prepared from autumn or early spring if time and weather conditions allowed. It is desirable that the soil is processed at least 4-6 weeks before roses are planted.
First you need to dig a hole in the soil. Its width and depth should be so that you can fully immerse the root system. The cone-shaped form of the pit allows you to lay a fertile layer in the center of the hole. After laying a bush, the pit is falling asleep with fertile soil, which is mixed with mulch, fertilizers. Head is sure to hide under the embankment. After careful rambling and watering.
The depth of planting modern hybrid roses is determined by the point of connection of the root system and the barrel. If this joint is injured by frost, the entire peak can die and new branches will begin to grow from the root, but the plant may differ from the initial option. That is why it is so important that this element is slightly lower than the soil level. In the northern regions it is a few centimeters under the ground.
After the pit dug up, it will be necessary to sprinkle about half a good fertile soil. The cone shape allows you to eliminate air pockets. Remove the plant from the container along with roots and soil, it is worth it very carefully. If the root system is too big, you should not cut off it, you just need to dig up a more volumetric hole. After frustration, a small mound should form a soil. The plant should pour and sprinkle the land of mulch so that moisture is preserved as long as possible. When boarding the fusing roses, they are immediately tied to stakes or supports.
How to multiply?
Reproduction with cuttings today is the most common method for roses. Nevertheless, even under the optimal conditions, 90% of success is considered to be a great result. The thing is that cuttings lack the root system to suck water and nutrients. Thus, in order to successfully multiply the roses of roses from the gardener, it is required to create a medium that will support the processes until they ignite enough roots to survive independently. The best time to cut cuttings from plants – the beginning of summer. Stalks that are not quite young, but at the same time not mature with fading flowers, fit perfectly. A branch with a bud is too young and not suitable for breeding.
The process begins with filling in a clean capacity of a good fertile mixture. It should contain a sufficient number of healthy plants of organic compounds. Before boarding the cutting of the soil, it is watered, but it should not be too wet, otherwise the rose just rotates. Choose cuttings that are healthy and representative. They are always taken from the top and side. Cuttings, taken from the middle of the plant, are not rooted, which remains a riddle for gardeners.
Choose a stem length from 4 to 6 centimeters, on which there are 2 or 3 sheets. It is they who produce sugar from photosynthesis and hormones that contribute to rooting. Using a razor blade or a sharp secateur, a clean cut at an angle of 45 degrees. Such an angle contributes to rapid rooting.
At the next stage, flowers or buds are removed, as well as lower leaves. Cut off the remaining leaves in half to reduce moisture loss through transpiration. With the help of a pencil make a small hole in the ground, plunge the cuttings. From above covered with a glass jar or the entire container with a plastic bag to create a greenhouse effect and keep a high humidity level. Roses are best rooted in bright light. For this reason, containers are put on the window, but it is worth avoiding the overheating of the cuttings. After 3 or 4 weeks, the first roots will appear.
How to care?
The main care of roses is in timely making feeding, high-quality irrigation, sometimes cropping. If you do everything on time, the garden with roses will become big and beautiful, will delight your aroma and colors from spring to late autumn.
Most varieties are completely tolerant to the type of soil. However, the fastest of all shrubs go to growth on a relatively fertile soil, in which a large density of organic substances. Soil, where large vegetable crops grow, also allows you to grow and wide rich in flowers robes. You can use a sustained manure that is one of the best soil additives. Where there is no possibility to purchase it, you can use peat moss or compost from leaves.
Lay a layer of organic matter thick in several centimeters on the inner surface of the pit for planting or near bushes. Be sure to pay the soil as carefully. Best do it long before landing. Many gardeners prefer to drag the land in the fall, and then the second time in the spring. When landing in separate pits, the soil is thoroughly mixed with organic fertilizers. Approximately one part of the organic material into two parts of the soil is used. Do not put roses when the earth is overly wet.
Undercalink is made early in spring or during the landing of new seedlings. Sometimes, with strong soil exhaustion, it is used in small quantities during flowering and rose growth.
Watering is the most important aspect of growing any plant. The correct amount of moisture will contribute to the healthy growth of the shrub, which will then bloom for a long period. On the bush roses every time there should be 5 liters of fluid, on wicker – 10 liters.
The need for watering is strongly changing throughout the year and is directly related to the amount of precipitation, which are observed in the region. In October-February, in most areas, roses do not watered, as they are in a hibernation. March-May – the time of awakening, so it is necessary to ensure that the soil has always been wet, but not swampy. If the weather is warm and precipitated rarely, it is possible to produce every two weeks.
From June to September, roses should get moisture once a week. As soon as the bush begins to bloom, pay attention, whether the flowers are not tugged. If so, this is the first sign that roses need more water. Recently landed roses need to be first watering every other day. The best way to do is – water from the watering can, and if a lot of landings, then through the hose. It is best to water as close to the base of the bush. If water begins to flow out and does not absorb, it is worth stopping for a moment so that the moisture is absorbed and then continue. Do not watered flowers or foliage, it can stimulate the appearance of diseases, especially if the moisture remains on the leaves for the night.
Specialists recommend a soft jet, and not a powerful spray stream. If the hose is used, it is better to install fitting with watering.
Fighting diseases and pests
Most modern roses are derived by the selective method, so they have excellent resistance to pests and fungal diseases. However, there are those that need to be processed to protect. If the gardener has to deal with the problem of roses diseases, then most often it can be the three most common diseases.
- Black spotty. Sometimes black spots on stems and leaves can be traced. Over time, sick leaves will fall out, leaving the plant with bare and painful. For processing used in spring copper-containing drug. In addition, gardener need to make sure that sick branches and leaves are removed, as well as removed those that fell to the ground. If this is not done, the disease will spread further.
- Puffy dew. With this disease, a white cannon appears on the foliage, it can be met less often on new buds. If not to treat the disease, it will spread to the rest of the bush, killing the whole foliage. Process plant with a mixture of food soda, lean oil and water. For 1 gallon of liquids take 3 parts of soda and 2 parts of the oil. The mixture must be sprayed at the top and under the bush. Although no damaged leaves cannot be cured, it will help to stop the spread of bacteria.
- Rust. The disease is manifested by the spots of red-colored on the bottom of the leaves. Best treatment is identical to what is used for black spot.
Pink bushes have a lot of pests with whom it has to fight. For example, TLL, Japanese beetles, white flies are just some of the most common. In most cases, it is easy to get rid of these pests if they immediately determine. Insecticidal soaps are used as a fixed assembly.
Pruning scares some gardeners, but learn how to crop roses is not so difficult. The need for trimming has a number of reasons.
- Health. Dead or damaged branches need to be removed at the end of autumn or early spring before the plant resumes its height. Sick processes are removed as soon as they notice that the disease does not spread to the whole plant. Moreover, trimming makes it possible to improve air circulation by thinning the bush.
- Appearance. Busty modern roses need help to maintain compact, attractive shape.
- The control. Some varieties of roses grow very intensively, trimming helps to restrain the growth process.
- Always clean the dry;
- The surface of each slice on the plant to close the glue drops to ensure rapid recovery, as well as protection against diseases and pests;
- remove extra processes on the main branch, which is not able to withstand a fairly thick second stem;
- remove the growths from the root structure that germinate from below;
- remove old worn twigs;
- After completing trimming, remove the leaves and old inflorescences from all bush.
How to prepare for winter?
The basic training of bushes for winter is to trim and shelter if it is necessary. The first should be carried out according to the principles that are described in the previous paragraph. As for the shelter, it is necessary for the grades that are not included in the list of frost-resistant. As a shelter, the land is used, which is simply falling asleep prepared and trimmed bush, or old foliage. Sometimes covered with old blankets or other tissues.
The feeding to winter is brought in small quantities and at the discretion of the gardener itself.
In the next video, the Greensad expert will tell about how to multiply a rose with cuttings.