Axes are represented by a wide range in the modern market, but each type is used to perform certain tasks. Not to make a mistake when buying, you should know the rating of the best manufacturers of this tool.
Any ax is used to work with wood. It can be a small-sized model for hunting or tourism, tool for cottage or execution of carpentry work.
Classic-shaped products are used for cutting across fibers of wood, as well as with rolls of trees. Such a device can be performed with a single or double cutting edge. For splitting, another instrument is used, which has a head of a pointed wedge.
Koluns are used for wood harvesting, since it allows you to split large logs in which an ordinary ax is stuck.
All presented axes can be divided into two large groups: those used to solve everyday tasks, and specialized.
The group of standard tops includes:
- carpentry ax;
The working surface of such a tool is usually limited to the bit (blade) at one end and butt – on the other, although some designs have two bits against each other or pick on one of the sides.
The top corner of the bit, where the cutting edge begins, is called a toe, and the bottom – the heel. Any side on the sides is a cheek that is sometimes complemented by ears. Part of the blade that descends below the rest is called a beard. Although it is an outdated form, sometimes it is still used because it has an elongated edge, which is twice the rest of the blade.
Carpentry ax used to work with chips. His thin blade, sharpened at an angle of 30-35 degrees, easily penetrates the bars of the tree, but only if they do not have a big thickness. It is larger in size than joiner, and has a weight of about 1.5 kg. Special importance is paid to his sharpening, because it should be very sharp, to easily carry out.
The joiner’s tool usually work with only one hand, so its weight reaches 700 g. This is a small, but distinguished design. In their form, the tool is very similar to the carpentry, only the angle of sharpening it varies from 18 to 20 degrees. The blade may have a thin cross section, and the volatile should not be massive.
In a separate group there are massive koluns, which are characterized by a lot of weight and long handle. It is the handle that allows you to make the maximum scope and hit the log with maximum strength. Used such a tool exclusively for cutting firewood. His weight can reach 4 kg.
The design of the columan is carefully thought out, including the blade, which, when contacting the wood, immediately seeks to push the two parts of the log.
In the category of specialized tool, you can enable such tools:
- for rolls of forest;
- for cutting meat;
- for hunting;
Tourist ax is always a small, easy tool, intended for use in one hand during camping or travel. The design may be provided hammer. If models with a hammer, then they allow you to use the ax like two useful tools. Such a product is available on sale usually in a compact size with a protective case.
Weighs tourist ax to 500 g, sometimes in the handle there is a free cavity for storing small elements. At the end of the handle there is a hole in which the lace has a lace so that you can hang the tool in a convenient place or even on the belt.
The ax for meat has a unique form of blade. The fact is that when working with this material, the tool fills in the bone, quickly stupid, so sharply playing an important role. Made such axes with the form of forging under the razor, the blade is hosted under the lens. Thus, a stupid base quickly breaks the bone, and the shape of the razor makes it easy to penetrate the flesh. The weight of the design is about 3.5 kg.
Fire ax – specialized tool, which are presented with special requirements prescribed in standards. This product is available on sale with a quality certificate and has a short life – only 18 months, because it stands on itself a huge load and it must maintain strength and reliability.
Fire axes can be with a pickaxe on the second side of the blade or a sledgehammer. The first feature allows you to quickly break the castle or to keep on the roof of the fire station, and the second is to break a tight wall.
The tool is often painted in a bright color to remain visible during an emergency. Its main use is the destruction of doors and windows.
Hunting ax used to cut meat carcasses, so it has a small size. The weight of the design is not more than 700 g, and its length reaches 400 mm. As a rule, these are all-metal products, on the handle, which provide a rubberized pad, which simplifies the process of working with the tool.
Forest roll tools are endowed with the main difference – the edge has a thin thickness, but with a wide, thick blade. A similar design helps penetrate the wood across. The best option when the product has a flat elongated blade with rounded edges. This form makes it easy to penetrate the wooden fibers.
Among all the axes presented in the market, you should highlight a list of the best models from different manufacturers.
- Universal ax Stihl 1926 Weight 700 g and 400 mm long. The blade is made of specialized high-quality steel. In the process of production, the method of hand forging. It is shipped with an ash handle with an exiled wax layer. The main sphere of use – removal of the boughs and the ring of small chips. Sold with additional defense of the blade in the form of a leather cover.
- Hultafors Carpenter’s Axe 840304. This model is manufactured in Sweden and is characterized by using special steel in the design. The chopping edge has a smooth shape, the working surface is manually manually, thereby increasing the density, and, accordingly, the life of the ax. Near the handle there is a small excavation for ease of operation. Linen oil is impregnated. The weight of the design is 800 g, and its length is 500 mm.
- Solid Gross 21500. The model is made entirely of steel. It has not only reliability and durability, but also acceptable cost. The total length of the design is 36 cm. On the handle there is a rubberized pad, providing a proper level of comfort when using the tool.
- Ganzo GSA-01ye. This is a tourist hatch with low weight and dimensions. In the design, the manufacturer used the steel brand 3CR13. The width of the canvas is 44 mm, the length of the handle – 347 mm. The weight of the ax – 975 g. The model is completed with a plastic case that is put on the cutting edge.
- Carpentry “Bars 21410”. The model weighs only 600 g. The handle is made of two-component frayed fiberglass. Cutting Part Hardness – HRC 48-52. The product can be praised for unique strength, resistance to aggressive environments. The handle is able to absorb oscillations arising during operation.
- “Siberian Bulat Ermak”. Such a tool is manufactured in Russia and manually, according to a special technology at which three layers of metal are used. The hardest part is the core. The weight of the design is only 1 kg, the length of the handle – 38 cm.
- Colun Ochsenkopf OX 635 H Big OX. This model is equipped with additional strengthening of the handle. On a wrought blade there is a rotary nose, due to which the shock surface increases. The blade is protected, the handle is made of wood thickened. It is made of karya.
- American Colong from GEOLIA Weight 1 kg equipped with a fiberglass made of fiberglass. The working blade is well polished and covered by bitumen, which protects against negative environmental influence. A small mass allows you to use the tool with one hand, inflicting a powerful blow and splitting wood into two halves.
What steel is better?
For the production of axes, several types of steel are used, but the best is the brand 9xc. Before making a tool from it, the steel is twice with high temperature processing, which allows to reduce the level of deformation upon broaching.
In the process of forging, the workpiece is pulled out, and the cross section is reduced – This is how the metal appears the necessary plasticity and strength. If we speak a simpler language, the ax becomes able to withstand a blow to a tree, while maintaining integrity.
In Mark 9xc contains 0.9% carbon, chromium – 1.5% and as much silicon. For strength, carbon is answered, chrome adds a alloy hardness. Also the latter protects against corrosion. Silicon is responsible for rust resistance.
If you take into account the characteristics of steel, then it is still called tool in professional circles. Other metal elements are made of it, such as drills that require special strength.
How to choose?
When choosing a handmade ax, it is worth knowing that the lack of the wizard of the necessary experience will lead to fragility of steel. For a logger and for rods, the tool will need to select different. Despite the fact that in both cases you have to work with wood, the design of the tool will be different.
The stolar ax has a very thin profile. The slim blade has the ability to easily penetrate the material with a minimum effort from the user, but it is not able to cope with thick logs – the material will simply get stuck.
The buyer’s choice should always be based primarily on the nature of the work. If the tool is purchased for tourism or hunting, then it should be small. A mini-ax easily fit in a backpack or can hang on a belt in a protective case.
You can buy a quality product in a professional sports store, while paying special attention to the quality of steel and other characteristics.
In a conventional universal ax, the characteristics can be generalized as follows:
- sharp blade;
- subtle bit;
- conical head;
- average weight – up to 3 kg;
- The handle must be made of a middle-length tree (38 cm);
All this allows you to cut the tree across, penetrate deep into the material, remove the branches and cut down the stump.
Colong has a wide profile of the metal part, which makes it difficult to use it as a cutting tool. It is so wide that it cannot prick small wooden elements – only big logs. On the other hand, his blade is ideal for splitting wood, because it will not cut the fibers, but simply divide them in half.
The main characteristics of this tool:
- severe base;
- Metal part is performed in the form of a wedge;
- The handle has a long and straight form;
- An experienced user is required for work.
Pocket size hatcher – this is the smallest, however, a rather strong option and can be used for a ring of small chips. This is the perfect variation for a hike, because it will not take a lot of space and will not add weight to the burden. To perform household tasks it is worth choosing a more overall tool, the handle of which should reach 40 cm. If the column is purchased, then its length should be much larger.
As for the weight, when buying needs to be understood who and for what purposes will use the tool. If this is a teenager or a woman, it is desirable that the design weighed as little as possible, respectively, the product should not be with a wooden or all-metal handle, but made of fiberglass.
It is worth understanding that the handle that is made of wood:
- well absorbs blow;
- quick breaks;
- it can be easily replaced in case of breakdown.
Reinforced plastic in comparison with this material is very light and durable, but when exposed to a chemical may be damaged.
Metal handle is very difficult to break – it is a solid construction with an ax head. But this tool is very difficult and replaced in case of breakdown it is impossible not one of the elements.
As you can easily notice, each axle model is suitable for one particular purpose. Below are other characteristics of the tool that the buyer must consider when choosing a good option.
- The size. You need to take the tool for the blade and turn the handle up – it should fit the armpit. Thus, experts define perfect dimensions.
- Topora blade must be perfectly aligned. To make sure that you need to take a metal part in your hand and see.
- Balance Check by placing the blade between the index and thumb. He must stand exactly and not to turn over one of the parties.
Tips for choosing an ax See in the following video.