Decorative Miscanthus becomes decorating any garden. An unusual appearance of the culture pleases the eye throughout the year, even in winter.
Miscantus, he is a franque, is a herbaceous plant, whose height ranges from 80 to 200 centimeters. The bulk root system is deepening almost 6 meters, but also next to the surface there are horizontal processes requiring regular irrigation. Foliage on a decorative cereal forms a bulk root rosette, and also located along the entire length of the barrel. Plate width ranges from 5 to 18 millimeters, and the length is approximately 10-50 centimeters. Green mass changes its shade in autumn on yellowish or pink.
Miscantus flower is a neat bake of 15 to 30 centimeters long. It has a different colors and is formed from separate long spikelets located fan.
Types and varieties
In total, there are about forty varieties of Missantus, but not all of them can be used in gardening. The following types are most popular in Russia:
The Chinese Jerican Variagatus is especially in demand at gardeners. It has excellent low-temperature resistance. It grows to a height of almost up to 3 meters, possessing a very short root system. Narrow leaflets have a rough surface and are separated by half a longitudinal edge. In the autumn time, the plate acquires a reddish or yellow color. Spikel bakers themselves painted in pink, red or silver shades. The flowering of the Chinese fans continues from August to October. Each of the varieties of this species has its own characteristics.
- Variety “Flamingo” Withstands cold up to -29 degrees without additional insulation. Stem is pulled up to 2 meters, and pink flowers grow much larger.
- “Klein Fountain” It has only a meter height. Metels at Kleine Fontane Standard Brown Size.
- “MalePartus” Blooms pretty early. Burgundy flowers located on panicles, closer to autumn change their shade on bright red. Green leaf plates at this time are changing on golden with orange tint. The height of the plant is about 2 meters.
- “Rotsilber” It is characterized by the presence of red leaflets and bulletins that change their shade to orange to autumn.
- Sort “Zebrina”, which is often referred to as Miscantus “Zebrinus”, has an extremely unusual coloring leaflets – narrow plates are covered with yellow or beige transverse stripes. Bills painted in brick tone. In height, the culture is drawn up to 2 meters. The most abundant flowering takes place in September.
- Miscantus “Variagat” height ranges from one and a half to two meters. Reddish flowers are beautifully combined with long white-green leaves.
- Sort “Strictus” grows almost 2.7 meters. The width of the leaf plates, degraded with white and green stripes, is one and a half centimeters. Loose panicles painted in pale red.
- “Gold Bar” has a height equal to one and a half meters. Narrow sheet plates are covered with beige stripes. Bills flying on the bush at the end of summer, have a beautiful wine tint.
- “Purpurezenzen” Also no different high height – just a half meters. Gray-green leaves for autumn change painting on orange-red. Purple inflorescences with time whiten.
- Miscantus “Grazilimus” Loves the shadow and it is in a darkened space that is able to reach a height of two meters. Blossom starts at the end of September, and the tint of the blizzard is classic red.
- Sort “Rother Pfeffe” It has a one and a half-meter height. Purple leaflets are accompanied by red-pink inflorescences, changing their color on silver. This variety blooms for quite a long time – from August to October.
- Grade “Moning Light”, He is Morning Light, is one of the oldest. Plant height, as many, is only 1.5 meters. Blossom starts in September, when the spikelet appears a red-pink shade.
- For graceella variety Characterized by a change of green shade of leafy plates on the crimson, as well as staining of tassels in a cream hue. This fanner is poorly tolerates the shadow, so it is important to plant on open spaces.
The height of the shrub is one and a half meters.
- Miscantus “Zilberfeheder” Possesses pasty sheet plates whose width is about two centimeters. Their painting is replaced with pink on a silver shade during the growing season. Metels are formed in August.
- Sort “Perf Fall” hesitated from one and a half to two meters height. Blossom begins at the beginning of autumn and accompanied by the emergence of red-pink bakery. Color sheet plates in autumn time acquires a lilac.
- “Adagio” It is low and up to the height of only 80 centimeters. Narrow sheet plates change their shade with silver on yellow. Tint of inflorescence changes with pink to cream.
The sugar color view of the Miscantus is characterized by the presence of smooth stems a height of 2 meters, on which narrow sheet plates grow. Tint of blizzard can be either pink or light silver. Flowering of this sugar type begins in July.
Giant Jenemerican is a hybrid species. Long leafy plates hanging from straight stems painted in a dark shade. In the center of each plate there is a bright longitudinal edge. Giantaus is able to carry winter temperatures that reach -34 degrees. Popular varieties of Miscantus are “Cascade”, Ferner Osten (Ferner Osten), Alligator, Gross Fountain, Adagio, Red Chiff.
Although the landing of the Muccantus into the open ground, in principle, is always the same, the deadlines may differ depending on the region.
The landing in the fans is carried out in the spring, when the earth warms up enough, and the threat of the return of frosts will retreat. In the south, the landing can already start from the end of March to the beginning of April, and in the middle lane, for example, in the suburbs, you will have to wait until the first May weeks. In Siberia, landing works begin not earlier than the end of May.
Choosing a place
For the successful development of Miscantus, the most important light and moisture. Optimal is considered landing for open and well-light areas located near water bodies. Special conditions for the composition of the soil, a franque does not put forward, but he will have problems with clay and sand. Therefore, such sites should be enriched with a humor, peat or compost.
Sand soils are recommended to grow river and clay, and clay soils, on the contrary, alleviate sand and peat.
Miscantus landing in open ground is pretty simple. The hole is digging in such a way that the depth and width turned out a little more than the root system. The pit is covered with a nutrient mixture consisting of a garden soil, humus and compost. After inside there is an adult sapling, and its roots neatly straighten. Next, the pit falls asleep the remaining soil, it takes off and richly irrigated.
How to care for?
Miscantus care should be particularly thorough, While the plant will not turn 3-4 years, since culture development depends on the procedures. Next, all activities will be mainly working on the decorativeness of the shrub.
Irrigation of landings should be regular and abundant. Navigate better on the state of the soil and adjust the procedure depending on the circumstances. If summer is arid, then the french has to watered every day, sometimes even in the morning and in the evening. Moisture should go deep into centimeters at 30-40 so that the root system gets the required amount of fluid. Watering as well as spraying should be carried out either early in the morning or late in the evening so that the combination of bright sunlight and liquid on the surface does not provoke burns. To care for thick skes, you can use the garden hose. Despite the fact that culture reacts very poorly to drought, moisture stagnation in the soil will also be destructive for roots.
As a rule, in the first year of life, Missantus grabs those fertilizers who were submitted by landing. Starting next year, the holding of feeding should occur a couple of times in each season. In mid-May, two tablespoons of urea are bred in a declined water bucket and are used for watering so that nitrogen contributes to the development of green mass. In early June, it is recommended to make a solution of humate, following the attached instructions. Finally, in the second half of the summer, you should be filing a franque to a means containing potassium and phosphorus for stimulation of flowering.
In order to not harm the roots and not provoke an overdose, you should make all fertilizers after irrigation.
Loosening and mulching
Soil mulch is necessary in order to keep in moisture, but not to promote the formation of an earthen crust. Also mulch contributes to the protection of weeds. The main material is used by humus, peat, just cut down young nettle, dandelion chine or other weeds. Mulch layer is at least 3 centimeters. Ruffle is carried out after irrigation and contributes to the best movement of oxygen to the root system.
Wearing grass must be removed in the first years of the life of the Miscants, until the plant has absolved enough to resist weeds. It is better to hold a speech a couple of times a week, accompanying the procedure for the loosening of the Earth. Adult Miscanthus, that is, he turned 3-4 years old, cope with “competitors” on its own.
So that the Muccantus bushes looked beautifully, quite simple trimming, held in spring time, when last year’s stems are cleaned. In the fall, such a procedure should not be carried out, because in the winter in the remaining “hemp” moisture will penetrate, the root system will begin.
Cutting the stems in autumn time is not required.
The frost resistance of most Miscantus varieties is such that it can easily withstand cooling up to -20 degrees, but with a decrease in temperature, it still requires additional measures. And young, and adult plants are necessarily murdered before the onset of the first frosts. The mulch layer should be from 10 to 15 centimeters and consist of peat, sawdust, compost or false foliage. With the expected strong frosts, the upper part of the bush is coated into a special nonwoven material, which after tied at the base of the bump. If there are cold winter in the region, then for shrub you can make a full-fledged shelter from plastic film, boards, dry leaves and sphagnum.
Methods of breeding
Miscantus breeds two main ways: either the division of the bush or seeds.
If division is selected for breeding culture, it will be possible to use it on one shrub only once every three or four years. Sharing a shrub follows from April to June. The most healthy and resistant instance is selected, which is divided into the required number of parts with a sharp knife. Each decene is important to leave a full root and 5-6 shoots. The resulting Miscantuses are either immediately planted on a new place, or several days are kept in a cool place, and after already moved to open ground. Deligent dive depth must match 6 centimeters.
If the seeds are planted for obtaining seedlings, then proceed to the procedure is already autumn. It is more convenient to use peat pots or other small containers that will only contain one or two seeds. Containers are filled with conventional nutrient soil, and the sowing material deepens no more than a centimeter. Next landing irrigate, and the pots are rearranged where good lighting is present. Immediately, it is necessary to pray for the creation of a greenhouse with the help of a food film or a glass sheet. As soon as shoots appear, the coating must be removed.
Before spring, seedlings should be kept at a temperature of 20 degrees of heat. To create the required duration of the daylight, it is better to use special lamps. Watering should be regular, but it is carried out only when eating an earthen com, that is, it follows to the current state of the soil. Landing in open ground is carried out when warm weather will be installed, and it will not be necessary to fear the return of frosts. Pre-plants will need to harden, pulling them out on the street for a period of 2 hours to whole night.
It is worth noting that the seed method of reproduction is not particularly effective. Sowing material is quite difficult to collect due to miniature size, and decorative characteristics in most cases disappear. In addition, the bush has developed to good sizes, you will have to wait from 3 to 4 years.
Diseases and pests
One of the main advantages of Miscantus is its highest resistance to both various diseases and insect exposure. However, experts are recommended for the prevention of processing culture of fungicides. Spraying, preventing the development of rot and rust, spend either before the vegetative period, or when it is already completed.
Usage in landscape design
The use of Miscantus in landscape design is very extensive. Culture becomes an excellent background for brighter neighbors, landed in groups or even alone. Especially successfully landing looks on the shore of the reservoirs, next to arbors or buildings. The larger the grade grows, the more centered position he should be given in the garden. Very effectively decorative cereals will look in gardens of stones or mountaineers, but in this case it is important to take care of moisture, since the compositions of this type, as a rule, constitute drought-resistant cultures.
Many landscape designers use Miscanths to form linear mixtures together with bright low shrubs or hosts. The plant can act as a solitator in the middle of the lawn or at the point of crossing the tracks, or framing the alley of a living fence. As neighbors for the fans, shrubs with openwork carved sheets, barbaris, dahlia, Rogers, Peonies, Floxes and others are perfect. The choice can be made, focusing on your taste.
On how to care for the Miscantus, look in the following video.