Evergreen coniferous plant – Juniper “Blue Errow”, is a spectacular addition to the landscape of the country or household plot. The plant has excellent decorative characteristics, has an interesting form of the crown and comes up well in the conditions of the North European climate. To get a more complete picture of its features and characteristics, it is enough just to study the description of this rock juniper in detail. In addition, the height of the plant and the correct haircut of its crown often has a great importance – to form it from the first years after landing.
Blue Arrow Juniper Care Will not work for an experienced dacha or landscape designer. Moreover, the spectacular appearance of this plant significantly revives the landscape, and with a group landing it allows you to get a very interesting design of the site. Beautiful swelling crown, striking up, and bright unusual conifer color give him special decorativeness. It remains only to maintain it timely pruning and not forget about the mandatory measures to protect the plant from pests.
Rock Decorative Juniper “Blue Errow” or “Blue Arrow” fully justifies its name. This type of plant belongs to the category of decorative conifers with a short strab. Branches grow from almost the base of the tree, the form of it is considered a coloniary, but narrow. The average height of the tree by 10 years – 2.5-3 m with the diameter of the crown not more than 0.5 m.
Growth rate above average. In height, the tree reaches 15-20 cm. The increase in the width is more modest – up to 5 cm.
The root system has a surface type characteristic of all rock breeds, is distinguished by intense branching. The life expectancy of the plant is 200-300 years.
Blue Arrow – cold-resistant variety capable of wintering without shelter, it withstands the temperature differences up to -28-34 degrees Celsius. It is characterized by the preservation of the needles at the bottom of the crown, which allows to provide a higher than other species, decorativeness. Plant shoots tightly pressed against the trunk, have high stiffness, well tolerate snow and wind load.
Blue Arrow juniper needles has a scaly structure, blue-blue color with steel tump, soft. In the branches of an adult plant, fruits are developing in the form of a bright blue shade baggy, with a slight nurse. In the eye and resin contains phytoncides – substances with antibacterial effect. Their presence helps to protect the plant from fungal lesion, increases its immune resistance to disease.
Differences from the Skyroquet variety
In fact, the differences from the Skyrock variety from Blue Arrow are very obvious, confusion may occur only when buying seedlings. Among the most important points can be noted such.
- Height of the plant. Blue Arrow does not apply to tall, its average height is about 2 m, but can reach 4 m. Skyrocket can grow up to 8 m, at the entrance to the house of such a giant will not put.
- Type of crown. He is narrow, colonum, with a conical top of Blue Arrow and a column – “Sky Rocky”. The difference is pretty significant.
- Coffee color. The viewed variety of Blue arrow its shade light blue with some elements of the SIZO. Skyrock is gray-green, heavenly sampling is manifested only at a distance. Near the plant less decorative.
- Ability to maintain form. Blue Errow due to dense fit and vertical focus growth of branches is quite high, even without decorative haircut, it remains compact, keeps well. SkyRocket does not possess such advantages, he has branches as it goes away from the trunk and give the crown an untidy look.
These are the main differences that can be distinguished between the species. But experienced nerds may well find even more discrepancies in the appearance of two varieties of coniferous plants.
How to plant?
The process of landing a juniper variety Blue Arrow is not too complicated. With an open root system, seedlings are sent to the open soil in the spring, after the soil gets completely. Allowed autumn fit to frosts. Plants grown in a container can be planted without restrictions on the season as soon as snow and frost come down.
Young seedlings of juniper of this variety of light-loving, but are subject to the formation of burns on the crown. It is recommended to be careful and pronounced plants in the first years of his life. At the same time, the landing site itself should be well lit and closed from the wind. If the light is not enough, the plant will gradually lose decorativity, the needles will yellow, it will look like pale and ugly.
Rock juniper is undemanding to the composition of the soil and the neighborhood – they can be placed next to any plants, without fear of diseases and pests. It is important to only pay attention to the proximity of groundwater.
Better, if the seedling will be placed on the elevation, hill or hill, then he does not threaten the overjoyment and reinforcement of the roots. Also help the removal of excess water quality drainage stacked on the bottom of the landing pit.
When choosing seedlings, it is worth a preference to already acclimatized trees in containers. When transplanting, they better tolerate the shift. In addition, the variety of container plants usually does not matter any questions. The hole prepared by the landing should be somewhat more diameter than the roar of the soil.
The bottom with laid drainage is covered with a removed soil, mixed with a special composition recommended for growing conifers. It can be purchased in the finished form or make yourself. For coniferous plants, loose, rich in minerals, capable of ensuring good growth and development of wood. Optimal proportion: 50% peat and 25% sand and turf.
Before placing plants in a hole, it is recommended to pour the soil with a substance that stimulates the formation of roots. Next, the seedling is installed inside. The zone of the stem and root system must be above the edge of the pit. If the lands are not enough, it is being added. Then the hole is completely closed by soil, in the rolling circle, watering the earth, mulching with sawdust, chips, crushed bark.
How to care for?
Beautiful decorative juniper “Blue Errow” to preserve its attractiveness needs careful care. It regularly requires the following procedures.
- Watering. Within 7 days after landing, it is performed daily, then every 10 days. In the wet periods of the year, the frequency of making moisture under the root should not exceed 1 time per month, otherwise the juniper will just perish. Necessarily for this type of conifers sprinkling. It is performed by installing sprinklers in automatic mode or from a pulverizer, in the evening 2-3 times a week.
- Podkord. Produced at the beginning of the growing season, in spring, complex fertilizers for coniferous plants. More frequent supply of nutrients can damage.
- Preservation of moisture. It is achieved by loosening and mulching the soil in a rustic circle. This avoids the overheating of the soil and accelerated evaporation of moisture. Mulch can be classic vegetable – in the form of hay, wood bark, chips, and also resemble drainage. In this case, it makes it from pebbles, broken bricks.
- Forming haircut. Since the weaklyonic krone of the Juniper variety of Blue Arrow holds its shape well, you can leave it without radical changes. But these trees are well suited to create topiaries of various shapes. The figured, the forming haircut is performed before the movement of the juice, it is cut to 1/3 of the branches.
- Sanitary trim. It is necessary to remove broken or moving, dead branches or shoots affected by fungus. You can cut a tree in the spring or in front of wintering. Upon completion of the procedure, there is a fungicidal treatment of the plant.
In winter, young rock juniper is recommended to wrapping the chip and bind to the twine.
Adult trees these protection measures are no longer needed, they withstand a decrease in temperature to -34 degrees without particular.
Methods of breeding
The seed method of breeding the rock juniper is used only by breeders. Seeds have a long period of preparation, on average, you can wait for shoots up to 5 years. It is much more popular with shilling in which young shoots are used, cut in spring. The place of separation from the parent stem is inspired, the seedlings are placed in a loose nutritious substrate based on peat in a greenhouse and are left for rooting.
In the fall, runs are transplanted into containers – up to 2-3 years it is recommended that this type of cultivation is recommended. Young trees for the winter are sent to the room with a temperature of about 0 degrees, occasionally watered. If there is a winter garden or greenhouses, it is possible to content in them. Only plants not under 2 years old are planted for permanent place.
Diseases and pests
Blue Arrow Juniper is not too subject to the development of various diseases, he has strong, steady immunity. But the tree can still be infected, especially if they make an irregular pruning and not take care of the fungicidal effect after it. Most often on the branches appears fungus – rust. It is manifested by the spots of a bright orange shade, the tree dries, loses his former decorativeness.
The main sources of rust distribution in the garden are fruit trees and shrubs. Next to them juniper is not recommended. If the disease has already been revealed, damaged parts of the plant should be removed and the treatment with antifungal drug should be processed. It is repeated every 2 weeks until the causes of the problems are eliminated.
Also recommended regular prophylactic treatment of rock juniper from pests: moths, ho.
Spraying performed every 2 weeks with specialized chemical compositions. Insecticidal preparations are better to choose with a comprehensive action.
If the needles turn yellow, it is most likely not a sign of the disease, but by the consequence of sunburn. In this case, the plant will suffer only from the south side, and the rest of the needles will remain bright. The method of salvation is only one – shading, the creation of artificial shelter for the whole spring period. Especially often suffer from the sun. Young trees with gentle shoots.
Usage in landscape design
The design of the landscape with the help of silver-blue juniper “Blue Errow” allows you to get really impressive results. Plant is suitable for decorating large spaces: Gardens, parks, ussers, as well as for use in the country or discom. A solitary or pair landing is most often used on a small area. When placed in containers or vases, juniper can decorate the terrace, balcony space or winter garden.
In the landscape, the Blue Arrow site is harmoniously combined with conifers of different types, heights and colors. It can be planted with thai or fir, use as decoration of a top garden. In addition, we can talk about the formation of mixed landings. Here you can create elegant alleys or alive hedges, decorate rocaria and mountaineering.
Coloniary juniper in the frame of entrance groups, entrances to the site are elegantly and gently. Played pairs of the porch, they create a feeling of solemnity and parade. Interesting looks decorated with trees Blue Arrow Landscapes with significant height differences. With a single landing plant can be placed in the center of a well-kept lawn or in a recreation area between benches.
About juniper “Blue Arrow” see below.