Hydrangea is one of the most beautiful flowers, familiar gardeners since ancient times. The birthplace of this exotic plant is East Asia, but it is possible to grow hydrangea in a variety of corners of the world, including in the Urals.
What better put?
In the cold regions of the country, you can grow not all varieties. Garden hydrangea, which will decorate the household plot in the Urals, first of all, should be winter-hardy. Local gardeners may look at the blizzard or tree varieties.
However, these colors are most likely needed reliable shelter for the winter period. After all, winter in the Urals is quite cold and With big frosts, the plant will just perish. Now, in order to clearly understand, in favor of which flower it is better to make your choice, it is worth considering the most famous and loved by many varieties.
There are many varieties of such hydrangeas, but in the cold regions of the Urals the following will come true.
- Darts Little-Dot. It is a small beautiful bush, the height of which varies within 75-85 centimeters. Flowers have a white color and are collected in big inflorescences. A few weeks of flowering, their color becomes gentle pink. Hydrangea flowers from the second week of July and until the end of the summer.
This variety can withstand large frosts, up to -28 degrees.
- Limelight Pieter Zwijnenburg. It’s a higher plant. Such hydrangea in height reach up to 2-2.5 meters. Very often this variety is used for placing parks or gardens.
White, almost creamy flowers of the buggy hydrangea look beautiful on any plot. Blossom also begins in the middle of summer, but lasts until the very end of September. The plant is sufficiently resistant to cold.
- Unique – This is another grade of hydrangea, which is able to survive frosts to -35 degrees even without shelter. The bush itself is large enough, decorated with white huge inflorescences. Already at the very end of flowering, they become almost pink.
- Vanille Fraise. The height of this bush does not exceed 1.5 m. Flowers have white, almost creamy shade. Over time, their petals blush. This grade of hydrangea can survive frosts up to -28 degrees, so needs shelter.
- Kyushu represents a huge bush, whose height comes up to 3 meters. White flowers are collected in beautiful, slightly oblong inflorescences. Such hydrangea withstands strong frosts, which allows gardeners not to think about the shelter of the bush for the winter period.
The same success in the Ural Cold regions is also a tree hydrangea, Having a large number of varieties resistant to strong frost.
- AnnaBelle – one of the most popular varieties whose homeland is America. This is a beautiful bush with a spreaded crown, the height of which does not exceed 1.5 meters. Light green flowers can please others from mid-July and until the end of September. The plant can withstand frosts up to -38 degrees, so there is no need for the shelter for the winter period.
- Sterilis Unlike other sorts of garden hydrangea long blooms. The process begins in July and lasts until the middle, and in some cases until the end of October. Initially, the flowers have a light green color, and by the end of the flowering they are made completely white. This hydrangea is resistant to frosts and can withstand temperatures up to -33 degrees.
Before you begin to disembodit this plant, you need to decide on the place. It should be quiet and well-protected from winds or drafts. After all, in open areas, hydrangea develops poorly. It is also worth taking care that the soil next to Hortensia has stopped. The owners also need to ensure that the water beside the bush is not stored, because it will lead to the fact that the roots quickly get the root, and the beautiful plant will be fading and can even die.
So that garden hydrangea develops correctly, professionals recommend landing it into a weak sad.
In the Urals, such lands – extreme rarity. Therefore, when disembarking, it is necessary to add peat to acidify the earth. It is best to plant hydrangea in early spring, after all frosts passed.
First you need to make cooking. It should be 50 centimeters and in depth, and width. Next, it is necessary to pour 30 liters of outstanding water and leave for one day so that the Earth can be safe to impregnate.
Then it is necessary to fall asleep 1 part of the humor, 2 parts of the peat, 1 part of the sand and 2 parts of the usual land. There must also be gluable 20 grams of urea, 25 grams of sulfur potassium and 55 grams of superphosphate. Before planting the future bush, it is necessary to crop all the extra shoots, as well as a little bit off the roots. Next you need to immerse the seedling in the fossa and fall asleep the earth. The root neck in this case should be on the same level with the Earth. Immediately after landing, the hydrangea should be poured with water, and the place around the bush must be filled with needles of a coniferous tree.
Features of care
Growing such a beautiful plant in the open soil – the lesson for those who do not mind spending time to care for the garden. Hydrangea needs timely watering and feeding. In addition, it must be able to properly prepare for the Ural Winter.
Moisturizing the ground around the bush must be regularly, especially at a time when there is no rain for a long time. Specialists are recommended for watering to use water with the addition of a mortar. It will be enough to add 2 grams per 1 liter of water. It will help make inflorescences more lush and beautiful.
To grow a healthy hydrangea in the Urals, it is necessary to regularly use feeding. You can choose both organic and mineral fertilizers. Do it need not less than 4 times a year. First of all, it is necessary to “feed” a plant that overwhelmed and prepares for a new period of flowering.
Next, you need to make fertilizers 2 times a month. At first used urea, potassium and superphosphate. After the appearance of buds, it is enough to make only potassium and superphosphate. All dosages are indicated on packages of purchased fertilizers.
At the end of the summer, under each bush, you need to make 1 bucket of humus or compost. It is worth noting that hydrangea refers to such plants that can be fertilized by the most unusual products. For example, use ordinary yoke or kefir for these purposes. Only in this case they need to breed water. It must be used twice as much as the fermented product.
Also as a fertilizer is already dried bread. It must be twisted with water, and then open up under the bush.
Shelter for winter
Preparing for winter – no less important procedure, especially if the plant is planted in such a region like the Ural. The most “strong” frost-resistant hydrangeas winters and without shelter. However, in the Urals, the temperature can sometimes fall below the one to which they are adapted. With severe cold, the roots die. So that this does not happen, the bushes at this time should be stolen.
Preparation for winter should be started before the onset of frost. The first thing to do is Remove leaves on all existing shoots. After that, the bush must be fine with the help of a rope, and then wrap the selected underfloor material.
Next, the plant must be burned to the ground, and then fix or bricks or stones. From above the hortensia bush need to be sprinkled with sawdusts or to lay a sweetheart. After that, everything should be covered by another refinery or film.
Some gardeners use a frame as a shelter. In this case, hydrangea is not required to tilt to the Earth. It is enough to simply put a metal frame over it and fill it with either dry leaves or sawdust or spruce needles. For greater confidence from above, the frame also covers the film.
As soon as warming come, the bush can be opened. However, it is worth completely disclosing hydrangea, only when there is one hundred percent confidence that the frost season has already ended.
Another important point – cutting hydrangea. This is done in order for the bush to be healthier and lush. After proper trimming, the plant pleases the eye with a big abundance of inflorescences.
Throughout the season, you must follow the shape of the bush. If this is not done, then the plant will look narrowly. In addition, flowers will become fine with time. It is best to carry out this procedure early spring.
After wintering bushes you need to see well. Among them we need to choose the strongest shoots. They should be approximately 8-10 pieces. All breakdown and dry shoots need to immediately remove. The same can be done with the frozen branches. They must be cut off to a healthy fiber.
Some experienced gardeners leave only a couple of kidneys at the bottom of the bush. In this case, the hortenside bush will decorate only a few buds.
However, they will all be quite large and beautiful.
In addition, the bush as a whole will look more attractive. In addition, you need to remember that too big inflorescences will be able to break the branches. So that this does not happen, you will need to regularly carry out decorative trimming.
Care for Hydrangea need and in the autumn period. At this time, it is necessary to make sanitary trimming of all shoots. Each of them must be shortened by half. This will help the plant much easier to transfer the winter. In addition, the plant will be easier to stream.
There are several ways to reproduce this plant. Depending on its capabilities, it is possible to do this with seeds, dividing a bush using a chain, siblings or cuttings.
This option is the most difficult and time-consuming. Seying seeds of hydrangea it is necessary in early March. Earth must necessarily be slightly moistened. At the same time additionally sprinkle them optionally. After seeding seed, the container needs to be covered with a film. The germinated plants must be indoors where the temperature does not fall below 21-23 degrees.
After 3-4 weeks, the first searches will begin to appear. Next, they need to be fused for 2 years. When their height reaches up to 35 centimeters, seedlings can be moved to the garden. This variant of the reproduction is suitable only for those grades of hydrangeas that exist in the wild, and have not been brought by breeders.
This is the most popular reproduction option that is used by gardeners. Doing the workpiece is in the middle of the summer, when the time of the bootonization comes. It is best to choose cuttings of young side shoots. On each cutken must be 1-2 kidneys.
It is necessary to cut them in the morning, so they will be able to keep moisture in themselves, and therefore, and faster will be rooted. After that, the cuttings must be put into the water, in which the growth stimulator was added in advance.
When the first roots appear, it will be possible to land cuttings in the substrate prepared in advance. The mixture should consist of one part of the sand and two parts of the peat. Water them need daily. A month later, young leaves should appear. After that, the seedlings need to be fused for another 2 years and only then plant in open ground.
This process takes a lot of time, but the plant as a result is healthy and beautiful.
Choosing this variant of reproduction, the procedure is to postpone the spring. First you need to dwell the land near the bush, then make a few grooves, the depth of which should be no more than 2-3 centimeters. There must be laid down. They must be fixed with small horns made of branches. Then it’s worth sprinkling all the earth.
In the beginning of autumn, every chain must form young shoots. When the height of them reaches at least 20 centimeters, young bushes need to be dipped. Then you need to repeat this procedure every week. In early October, all the chains need to dig up and then divided. The height of each new seedling should be at least half a meter.
After separation, they must be shovel. And only a year later, future bushes can be planted for a predetermined place.
This method comes far from all. In order for the plant to take root, at the autumn time it is necessary to remove a small layer of land along with a young pig. Then Very neatly need to separate it from the main bush and transplant to the prepared place to grow.
So the hydrangea is divided only when the gardeners are decided to transplant it to another place. Most often a transplant is made in early March. The bush must be pre-pole, wait a bit and only after that dig.
Next, the roots of hydrangea need to rinse under running water to remove dirt residues. After which you can proceed to the separation of the bush itself. Then you need to trigge the shoots, as well as roots and sear plants in the holes made in advance.
Diseases and pests
There are several dangerous creatures, which can greatly harm hydrangea.
- Aphid. This insect is powered by juice, after which leaves sweet selection. Reproduction occurs very quickly. For the struggle, you can use folk remedies.
For example, you can take 150 grams of unwound garlic and pour it with 3 liters of water. In two days it is necessary to add ½ part of the terrestrial soap. Spraying this tincture must be carried out until the word fails.
- The web tick dwells on the leaves, more precisely, on their inner side. In this case, they begin to shut up, they appear patterns resembling a web. To combat, you can use both folk remedies and chemicals.
- Slugs most often appear on too thick bushes. They eat leaves, which makes Hytenzia committed unattractive. You can use Mollocid to fight.
Hortensia will need to protect not only from pests. Various diseases can be harvested.
Here are the most common problems and the reasons for their appearance.
- Yellowing, as well as focusing of leaves – this is a frequent phenomenon. Problems with leaves appear as a result of direct sunlight on them. The reason may also be rewarding soil, lack of fertilizers, reduced soil acidity.
- The blackening of the leaves happens as a result of using hard water when watering. In addition, such a phenomenon is possible in the case of a sharp difference in temperature or the appearance of strong drafts.
- Peronosporosis is a disease that characterizes the appearance on the plant of small oily spots. To prevent the disease, you need to process the entire bush with a solution of copper sulfate with soap. It is best to spend a spraying in the evening.
- Chlorosis appears on the plant in the case when it is not enough iron. In this case, the leaves become much lighter, and the streaks remain the same dark. In addition, some shoots dry, and the buds twist. To combat this disease, you can use popular drugs purchased in specialized stores, for example, “ferovit” or “antichlorosis”.
In addition, you can use potassium solution. There will be 35 grams of this substance on the water bucket.
Summing up, we can say that with proper care, hydrangea will be able to grow very lush and beautiful even in the Urals.
About how hydrangea is grown in the Urals, the following video will tell.