It would seem that the shovel is an ordinary tool. Cuttings and canvas – what can be easier. But if it is important for you to work with the Earth quickly, convenient and not making extra effort – you need to know several important points. This is especially useful if you decide to assemble or make a shovel with your own hands. Before making homemade shovels for the garden, you should be drawing and diagram. The shovel can be foldable, on wheels, bayonet, self-mouth, collapsible and so on. It is necessary to consider in detail what the rack should be, you need a wall holder or cover.
Cuttings: choose the optimal option
The most common cuttings for shovel – birch and pine. They do not even have to look for, as they are in any economic store. Despite similar appearance, the difference between these cuttings is significant.
- Holder from pine two significant advantages: low price and low weight. Cons – fragility and fragility. Despite the fact that three quarters of the cuttings are produced from Pine – Think whether it is worth saving on it. In extreme cases, get two at once – one let it be in stock.
- Birch cutlets are much stronger than pine and served longer. However, a significant drawback of such a cutlery is that it is much heavier. It is worth noting that the big weight of the shovel – not always her minus. If you are chopping the roots, dig a hole under the column of the fence or work with a very stony soil – heavy shovel will double your efforts. But when the beds are preferable, it is preferable to light – with severe you will be tired faster.
Oak and ash are also used for the manufacture of cuttings. The cuttings of these types of wood are not so common, but in quality is superior to pine and birch. Optimal option – ash. The cutlets from it turns out to be light and very strong. Oak cuttings also have good strength, but they are heavy, so suitable for shovels that are designed for “shock” works. Cuttings from oak and ash 3-4 times more expensive pine.
Last time, pipes from modern and high-strength metal alloys are used as cuttings. It can be anodized aluminum or titanium. The advantage of such cuttings is that they do not rust, have a light weight and a large margin of safety. But they are not suiced.
Important! Optimum option for ordinary gardery – Universal shovel with birch cutlets. Its cost is quite acceptable, and the shovel will have a significant margin of strength.
Manufacturers offer more than 20 variants of shovel made from various metal alloys. Let’s focus on the most common.
- The bulk of the shovel, which are used by gardens and builders, is made of rail steel. The canvas such a shovel is very firmly, at large loads it is good “spring”, taking the original form. It is easy to sharpen and quite steadily corrosion.
- The canvas from titanium does not have such flexibility. Despite the high strength, it is rather fragile. With a large load or strong impact it can break. Perfect option for use – Copfish beds. Light weight shovel gives you pleasure in this not very pleasant and tedious work. Note that the shovel from such an alloy is expensive.
- Recently, many dackets have in the range of garden tools “Stainless steel”. Stainless steel shovel is easy, the Koma Earth is almost not sticking to it, it is absolutely not corrosion. But there are also cons: the canvas is not as strong as titanium or made of rail steel. It will be convenient to dig a bed on soft and air soil. When working with solid ground, it will break.
Important! Rail steel shovel – this is a universal version for the gardener. But if you need to dwell the beds on light and loose soil, the spade from stainless steel is best for this work.
Preparation for assembly
Stalk and canvas – it’s not yet a shovel. After buying these elements, you have to take it seriously. It includes a few steps.
- First of all, you need to dry the cuttings well. Usually in stores from the manufacturer, holders fall raw, and in the spring season it happens that they do not always have time in the store well dry. Therefore, it is better to put a cutter on the street under the carport for several weeks. This time is enough so that it is good
- Next stage – sharpening cuttings. It is necessary to remove the wood layer at a certain angle. For coarse processing, you can use a sharp ax, but do not overdo it. Next, the tree is processed by a grinder using a special grinding plant on a tree. The final fit is made by coarse sandpaper. The hollow holder must enter the blade of the blade shovel very tightly.
- Before proceeding with the final stage – the nozzle shovels on the stalk, it must be painted. Very often the gardeners neglect by this, and in vain. Unpainted stalks in the rain wet, absorb moisture and will be twice as much as. In addition, such a cutlets will last much less. For painting, take a simple veil. It is inexpensive and there is in any economic store. Its worth putting a painting brush on a tree in two layers. After that let’s stand 12 hours and cover lacquer. Leave for 12 hours for drying.
Sign up the cuttings is a simple matter, but it is worth take into account the following subtleties:
- It is very important that the cuttings fully filled the chamfer (deepening) of the canvas, which will give the blade an additional safety margin, otherwise, even with a small shovel effort, it brings;
- Before inserting the cuttings into the landing place, its processed end is desirable to moisten the hot resin, which will save the tree from moisture and rotting in the plant tube, and the landing will be stronger;
- Insert the holder into the flooring of the canvas and, turning the shovel upside down, knock the stalk of the cuttings about a solid surface;
- If you were convinced that the wood fully occupied the landing chamfer, you can fix the web on the cutter – for this, two holes are provided in the planting tube; It’s safely used to use nails, but screws.
If you want a light shovel with a durable and super light cutlets, then pay attention to the aluminum pipe covered by the factory anode. The diameter of the pipe must be 3.5-4 centimeters, with its wall thickness – at least 3-4 millimeters.
On the basis of you will be renounce such a length of the pipe, which you ask. Usually the length of the shovel of the shovel for a man of medium growth is one and a half meters. The shovel planting tube for such a cutting should be several millimeters more and preferably – cone-shaped.
If the metal cutlets still dangles a little in the planting tube, then in this case you need to use the seal.
It can be a piece of rubberoid, moistened in a hot bitumen, or a conventional bandage impregnated with epoxy resin. After the shovel of the blade in the landing tube of the blade, it needs to be well fixed. Unlike fasteners of a wooden cutter, there are no screws here. Reliable fastening can provide bolts with a diameter of 5-6 millimeters. In two places of the planting tube, the electric drills are drilled by two suitable hole diameter at a distance of 10-12 centimeters from each other. The shovel planting tube is drilled together with an aluminum stalk installed in it. After that, insert bolts with washers and twist the nuts.
Similarly, the shovels and plastic cuttings are attached to the canvas. To make an ideal form for cone-shaped planting pipes plastic, it is recommended to warm up the hairdryer or gas burner. Shovels with aluminum or plastic holders very light and durable. However, you need to treat them very carefully – such holders are afraid of strikes. Minor deformation in the center of the cuticle will lead to the fact that it will break (plastic – shifting) and it will be impossible to restore it.
Last bar in self-assembly shovel – pen on top of a stalk. Its main function – to prevent the rotation of the shovel in the hands.
This is a completely optional fragment of the shovel, but it greatly facilitates the work process, especially if you have to deal with clay or rigid soil. Such knobs are produced from different materials and a variety of shape. The appropriate option can be found in any economic store. The handle is attached to the cutter with ordinary screws.
How to make a shovel with your own hands, look in the video below.