Host – an unusual plant that emphasizes and connects different types of colors, blowing the composition. At the same time, it is not a flexible background, because he has enough high decorative properties. Hosta Sieboldiana (Hosta Sieboldiana) looks beautiful at any time, so the favorite of many landscape designers.
Description and characteristics
The plant refers to perennials and belongs To the family of Sparge. In vivo, it can be found in Japan (Honshu Island). Kush has gained its name in honor of the famous botany Philip Zibold. Shrub has wide sheet plates with a rather dense structure, their length is about 30 cm, and width up to 25 cm. The leaves are covered with a slight sway-riddle, their core shape with a well-pronounced ribbon.
Coloring has a bluish-gray tint, because of which the plant belongs to blue hosts. The bush releases low (about 40 cm) flowers, on which light-lilac funk-shaped flowers are formed, having a length of 5-6 cm. Flowers Zibold Host in July, inflorescences are almost immelled in green leaves.
At the end of flowering, trigger small fruits ripen on them, with black seeds. Root system of plants are illustrative, compact sizes.
The most popular and beautiful representatives of the Jibold host are:
- “Elegance” – a very beautiful plant, with grayish-blue leaves and light-purple inflorescences, the height of the bush reaches 65-70 cm, and in a width of up to 90 cm;
- “Francis Williams” Also possesses quite large sizes, the leaves have uneven color – edges are edged with a yellow-cream strip, and the main color is a sieu-blue;
- Halcyon – The variety that was derived as a result of Hosta Siebooldiana and Hosta Tardiflora hybridization, it refers to low cultures, leafy plates are distinguished by a beautiful bluish tint;
- Hercules – tall bush with large blue-green leaves and white inflorescences dissolved in June;
- Semperaurea belongs to fairly large varieties, wide leaves painted in yellow-green shades.
The vegetation period of the host begins somewhat later than other cultures, so it can be easily planted in the end of spring or in the early autumn. Plant – Telebivoy, what should be considered when choosing a plot. Host Zibold prefers lightweight, fertile soil with good moisture. Clay and sandy land for the cultivation of the host does not fit. Optimal time for landing – evening, better after 18.00, when heat falls and the temperature drops slightly.
Landing is carried out as follows:
- The wells for landing make wide and deep enough;
- on the bottom pour a little fruit;
- To increase the air permeability of the soil, you can also add a small amount of peat;
- As a drainage it is worth using perlite;
- In the recess pour some water and placed a seedling, but it must be positioned so that all the kidneys are above the ground;
- The plant is watered and falling asleep;
- Top apply a layer of mulch (sawdust, bark or peat).
The distance between the wells is made based on the parameters of an adult plant, 30-80 cm. With autumn landing, especially if the winter is cold, seedlings are worth covering the agriculture at winter. The host is a frost-resistant culture, and adult plants are quite capable of wintering without shelter, but young bushes can freeze.
How to care?
Plant care is not much difficult and also does not take much time.
- Watering a bush stands in the morning or in the evening, but so that by night the bottom leaves have time to dry. Wet leafy plates lure slugs that damage the plant. In addition, watering does not need to be carried out on the leaves, because they are covered with a special film that can be washed off. At the same time, the plates lose their defense and attractiveness – the blueness of the cover.
- Feed the flower is enough 2-4 times in the season. The last time the plant fertilize in August. For the host of Zibold, complex feeders are suitable, it is worth it after a good moistening of the plant and preferably until 11 am. In early spring, complex feeders with trace elements are made, during flowering – fertilizers with potassium and phosphorus, and in the fall – potassium sulfate.
- At the end of flowering it is worth cutting the arrows that do not adorn the plant. In addition, the plant spends energy to ripening seeds.
- For the winter, the bush is cut off, you can not cover, as kind of frost-resistant. It is enough to pour on it a layer of dry foliage.
Organic feeding (not fresh) can be added under the bush throughout the season. In the summer, it is also necessary to regularly break the land, remove weeds and faded the flowers.
Methods of breeding
It is possible to grow Zibold’s host:
As a cutlets take small young shoots or outlets with small leaves having a root and easily separated. At the same time, the bush does not dig. Dry cutlets immediately in the soil and shape, to normal rooting, they need to humiliate every day. If the sprouts look sluggish and lifeless, do not worry, in a couple of days they will rise. Reproduction seeds is quite time consuming and is mainly used by breeders to remove new varieties, besides, the host seeds board very weak.
But who wants to try, can do it as follows:
- Seeds are kept in a stimulator solution;
- In the container, the land is sealing and the seeds are planted on a depth of 6-7 mm;
- from above poured a small layer of perlit and again the soil is tamped;
- hold the container at + 20 ° C;
- After a few weeks, sections appear when the first sheet is formed, they are diverting (the soil must be nutritious);
- A little sand pour on the soil;
- It is necessary to water regularly, but through the pallet;
- To prepare for disembarking in the open soil, the sprouts periodically need to be taken out to the street.
On the plot of seedlings can be sent when they are fixed and will have 3-4 kidneys.
The division of the bush is the most common method of breeding the Host Zibold. The plant is capable of dividing for 4-5 years of life. The procedure is carried out in spring or early autumn. The bush is watered well, digging and separated by a sharp knife into several parts, and each should have at least a pair of sockets.
Looking out bushes stands at the same depth on which the parent plant grew. Moisturizing young plants is good and regularly until their complete rooting.
Diseases and pests
The host may be affected by the HVX virus – the disease damaging only this type of plants. As a result, leafy plates are covered with spots, fade. Infection with the virus occurs through juice, so all the tools during trimming it is necessary to disinfect. Unfortunately, the disease is not treated, infected bushes burned. Also because of the wrong conditions or departure, the plant may suffer from rotting root neck, the disease is expressed by the yellowing of foliage.
Treatment is to dig a bush, removing patients and processing fungicides. Also, the plant is transplanting to another area (if the soil is clay, add sand or peat), placing two pills in the hole in the hole during transplantation. Among pests most often is amazed caterpillars and slugs.
To prevent the eating leaves with them, it is standing around the plant to place a layer of mulching from sawdust and ash, and if there are many insects – insecticides.
Host Zibold serves as a real decoration of the site, its application is appropriate: along the tracks, on the flower beds, near the trees or fences. Growing this culture, you can be sure that it will give the appearance of the garden in the unique charm.
How to share and transplant the host in the fall, look in the following video.