Among the decorative-deciduous garden plants, Geihan is not equal. Purple, black, red, orange, brown, silver, greenish-yellow – all these shades of the leaves of the plant. And her gentle flowers in the form of bells attract bees and butterflies into the garden and are good in cutting. Geichera is able to quickly fill any open spaces, so it is often used as a soil plants. To obtain the planting material, the culture is breeding the division of a bush or stalling, young plants can also be obtained from a piece of sheet.
This is the easiest way to reproduce geihers. In addition, regular division of perennial plants is a necessary procedure, as it allows them to remain beautiful and healthy for many years. As for Geichera, it needs to transplant and division approximately every 3-4 years, because during this time the upper leaves grow greatly, and the lower leaves are aging and dying. As a result, the plant is worse to carry negative winter temperatures, becomes weakened, more susceptible to diseases, loses decorativeness.
To divide Geyhera best in the period from the end of May to the beginning of July, then the decene will quickly root. However, it can be divided in autumn, but only if the soil in which separated parts will be planted, will be loose and well-drained.
If the soil is heavy and clay, it is better to wait until spring, because on such a soil during the period of the autumn rains the lower part of the deceive can be dried, and all the plant will die.
The division procedure includes several steps.
- Cock dry and weathered shoots.
- Cover the deteen in size of approximately 10 cm acute shovel. Roots Geihans are almost on the ground surface, so it is very easy to determine the cut place. If the roots are not visible, carefully remove the plant from the soil and cut the deceses with a sharp knife. Each decene must have healthy leaves and part of the root.
- Separate the dues received in advance prepared soil. The depth of planting should be the same as the uterine plant. The width of the landing well should be about twice the size of the deteen. It is necessary for free location of the roots.
- Well span the soil around the planted plant, continue to do it for the next two weeks. In the future, it is necessary to water if the weekly precipitation rate is less than 3 centimeters. Excess watering can lead to reinclocking of cuttings, but also in the undercurrent soil of the plant develop badly.
This method is good because it does not require digging bush. In addition, from one plant, it is possible to obtain much more planting material than when dividing. You can shine geyhera during the entire growing season, but it is better to do it late spring or early summer.
- Raise the foliage and find the fattest horizontal stem, from which the outlets of other stems depart. This is the main stem, which is only capable of forming roots.
- Take off the outlet in the place of attaching it to the main stalk. It is better to break out the socket “with the heel”, that is, with a small piece of the main stem.
- Remove with outlets all old leaves of brown or dark green. Leave 4-5 healthy leaves, preferably a small size, since young leaves are not yet infected with any diseases.
- Rail out the sockets on the propenged area protected from wind. Soil for sockets should consist of loose compost or sand. It is necessary to plant the leaf growth point at the ground level. Plenty of field.
- 6 weeks after the landing will appear the first young roots. All this time, the soil under young landings must be maintained in a wet state. Transplant to the permanent place you can next spring.
Geyhera can be multiplied by one and only sheet. It’s not so difficult if you do everything according to the rules. The fact is that just take part of the sheet is not enough, it is necessary that a piece of stem is preserved on it. Stem contains growth kidneys that ultimately form new leaves.
Sheet cuttings can be chopped at any time during the growing season, however, if you take them late in the fall, they may not have time to be rooted until winter. But if you can transfer young seedlings for the winter to the room, then you can cut the cuttings and autumn. You can combine two ways – the division of the bush and shilling, then the material remaining from division can be used.
In general, the method of leaf cuttings is more troublesome than division, however, the release of new plants is much higher. In addition, there may be cases when there is only one varietal plant that must be multiplied.
- Prepare in advance landing mixture. Well established a mixture of sand, vermiculite and peat in various ratios. The best option can be selected by an experimental way, but usually all components are taken in equal parts. Recently, a new material is used as a landing environment – coconut fiber. It is good because absolutely sterile, that is, does not contain any pathoral microorganisms that could damage young plants.
- Prepare drawing tools. The knife should be not only sharp, but also clean, otherwise the disease can be transmitted from some plants to another. To avoid this, after each cut, dip the knife into the diluted bleach solution.
- Cut the cuttings with a “heel” with a pure sharp knife. If the stalk contains one sheet, then the size of the “heels” should be about half acetimeter. You can use larger cuttings with several leaves. However, with a large area of the surface of the leaves, the cuttings can be reheated, as the leaves will evaporate water. Therefore, to reduce moisture loss, large leaves should be reduced by cutting them in half. Small leaves can be left intact – they will produce nutrients for the plant.
- Hold the cuttings in a solution of any growth stimulator or sprinkle a cut “Kornvin”. It will help the plant to move stress and faster to root.
- Slide the cuttings into the wet planting environment and pronounce them from direct sunlight. In the open ground, the cuttings are often covered with a jar or planted under arc. Plant cutlets are better in the inclined position and so that the “heel” was at a depth of about 2-3 centimeters from the soil level. This is due to the fact that the newly forged leaves will be difficult to overcome the thicker layer of the Earth. If everything is done correctly, the first roots are formed in 4-6 weeks.
- If you root the leaves in the fall, then it is better to land them in a seaside pot, which in winter it will be possible to transfer to a light cool room. In this case, fill the potting of the plant and moisture well, then add a little more mixture, because after wetting it will fall. After that, make a pencil in the mixture a recess and insert the end of the cutter into it. Carefully degress the mixture around the cutter. Cover the pot with a plastic bag and securely assign a package of elastic. If necessary, put in a pot one or two sticks or plastic straws so that the polyethylene does not touch the surface of the sheet. This prevents condensate from entering a sheet.
Pot with cutlets Place in a warm place with a temperature of + 20 … 25 degrees Celsius, protected from direct sunlight exposure.
About how to propagate geyhera, look in the following video.