Gaylardia – rare flowers, so saturated bright, beautiful and so unpretentious in care, like their wild ancestors from distant American prairies. In the ancient times, the women of Aztec and Maya tribes gladly decorated their hairstyle on the eve of holidays and rites. Their color spectrum is so colorite and diverse, which makes this plant truly universal in his decorative use. In the article, consider in more detail the description and varieties of Gaylardia, as well as the subtleties of landing and care.
Gaylardia – Culture from the Astrov family, originally from the North American continent (the official symbol of Oklahoma, enshrined in the US Constitution). This is a drought-resistant annual or perennial herbaceous plant. His flowers please the eyes with juicy, festive, reminiscent of the sun shades. In the central part of the inflorescence bright red, to bronze shades or saturated-pink. Edges of flowers (petals) toothed shape, usually thick yellow color. Leaves of the blade or round shape, slightly extended, usually covered with hairs.
Features of culture are as follows:
- grows in the form of a bush, the leaves are simple;
- Flowers are round with uneven edges, form simple (less lanceal), terry or semi-grade baskets, located one by one;
- Simple flowers are formed by a single-row group of petals around the perimeter, in the central part of which tubular petals are placed;
- semi-natural, formed by several rows of petals;
- For terry types, funnel-shaped petals forming inflorescences are characterized;
- Culture is distinguished by the intense flowering process and the original fruit in the form of a seed with Khokhl;
- Different with long flowering (before frosts);
- long time does not fade in cut form;
- It is produced productively in one place (up to 45 years), then a transplant.
Gaylardia is obliged to the French lawyer Guyar de Charentono, a famous botanist fan, in honor of which Gaylardia and named. Gaylardi-monoolets grow up to 0.5-0.7 m, branched branched and extremely abundantly bloom. Often the plant is difficult to distinguish from her relative – Rudbecia, a description and appearance of which is largely similar. However, Rudbecia has a central part of the flower more convex, and its petals of a more elongated form than in Gaylaredy.
Gaylardia is a bushy plant, with a strong or straight stems and a strong, horizontally located root system. There are also dwarf variants growing up to 25-35 cm. Garden crops are diverse, differing and coloring, and sizes. For this reason, Gaylardia has become such a popular in the organization of cultural landscapes.
Types and varieties
The names of the varieties and their varieties are sound and memorable – to become colors. A total of about 30 plants options are known. Of the main garden options, there are 3 types of Gaylardi (with their varieties).
- Hybrid – Grandiflower (large-flowered), obtained by crossing the oest and beautiful. This is a perennial with straight, slightly pubescent stewed books. Rose plant, up to 75 cm. Owlifornic leaves of lance-shaped or rounded species. Inflorescences are represented by a diameter of up to 12 cm. Colors saturated, with orange, yellow or copper-red wheels.
Plant blooms with early June.
- Ost – Perennials with straight shoots, taking up to 80 cm. Baskets of inflorescences are large, in diameter – up to 12 cm, orange or dense-red shades.
- Beautiful (“Krasava”) – The most popular annual who stands out by the variety of paints. Its species is the original “Lorentziana”, which is characterized by spherical inflorescences consisting of reddish-yellow flowers with a funnel-shaped structure.
Consider the following most common varieties of hybrids:
- “Zone” – two-color bushes, which have up to 60 cm in diameter; Inflorescences – in diameter up to 10 cm, with dark yellow or golden petals;
- “Kobold” Presented with an extensive stem system, height reaches up to 40 cm, with large, intense-yellow petals and reddish edges;
- “Arizona San” (Gaillardia Hybrida Arizona Sun) – Dwarf, not above 20 cm; This plant is richly blooming from summer to frost;
- “Arizona Red Shades” forms neat, low-spirited plants, up to 30 cm in height; In the outlets forms 7-8 floweros with large, up to 12 cm in diameter with flowers; This variety blooms until September, no insulation for the winter does not require;
- “Primaver” – low-rise bushes, up to 25 cm; In the outlet grows up to 6-8 floweros with baskets, in the diameter – about 12 cm;
- “Burgundder” (“Burgundy”) remembered the brightest, lush flowers of the coumachque color with miniature yellowish specks;
- Tokajer – a tall perennial, with petals of thick orange shades;
- “Golden Goblin” – Dwarf, with long-sighted yellow inflorescences;
- “Amber” – culture growth of up to 75 cm, with large flowers of solar-yellow color, blooming before the start of cold weather;
- “Eastern Patterns” – bushes about 60 cm in height, with a yellow-purple floral center and copper-red petals and with yellow edges;
- “Primaver” – low-rise bush (up to 25 cm), the single outlets of which are crowned to 8 color seals; It has large colors of cherry shades with golden-yellow edges of petals; Stems are richly littered with dense-green leaves with unexpectedly light middle; It is often planted in balcony capacities;
- “Jasper” – a radiot bush (up to 85 cm), the elongated stems of which are crowned with significant dimensions of the inflorescences of red-yellow shades; flowering period – June and August; It looks in bouquets;
- “Arizona Apricot” – low-rise perennial bushes, about 30 cm high; Large, warm apricot flavor on neat bushes bloom in July and bloom long; Elegant and noncains;
- “Arizona Red Shades” – straight, unpretentious, long-range plant, up to 30 cm high;
- “Mesa Pic” – Culture with brightly pronounced yellowish-orange inflorescences and long flowers.
Optimal dates for disembarking
Fastened cultural sprouts are usually planted into the soil by the end of summer. When complying with the landing rules, the seedlings have time to put strong roots before the arrival of the cold and give 8-10 rapid leaves. The plant flourishes in spring. If the culture is searched into the soil, bypassing the stage of seedlings, then sowing is made by the end of spring. Seeds are placed in small holes, and when the sprouts will take place, will become strong, the third sheet will grumble, they are transplanted into flower beds.
How to plant?
Gaylardia Svet Pervubil, requires outstanding grounds of soil. The culture is arranged prepared light, weakness and not overwhelmed soils. Planting bushes in open soil should be at a distance of 30-35 cm. To increase their density allowed to be placed in the well to 2-3 pieces. During the landings, they fertilize humid, ash, compost and mineral compositions (35-40 g by 8-10 liters of water).
Then the bushes are plenty.
The order of seed sowing is as follows:
- Capacles are fill in well-humidated soil;
- Sowing is performed in February or March, sprinkling the vermiculite substrate;
- Seeds distribute shallow and evenly;
- Capacity is placed in the illuminated places at a temperature of + 20- + 23ºС, regularly moisturizing the soil;
- Sowing covered with a film;
- After 12-14 days, the sprouts appeared in cooler conditions (for example, in a greenhouse);
- Peak sprouts in the stage of development of the third leaflet in small capacity, providing non-intensive watering and good illumination for 14 hours using lamps.
Important! Weak landing light contributes to the defeat of sowing with gray rot. For preservation of varietal cleanliness, various types should be planted separately, given the ability of the plant to self-pollization and self-sowing.
How to care for?
Curply care includes caring watering, garter and its shelter for the winter period. Gaylardia is a frost-resistant plant, its cultivation does not require significant labor, but with the expected sharp temperature decrease, gardeners advise to insulate it with fallen leaves or conifer.
Hybrid culture blooms every year since June and before the start of cold weather and, as a rule, the formation of buds is carried out without problems. Nevertheless, for the productive bloom, the following rules should be followed:
- abundance of light;
- loose and light soil;
- Watering – from moderate to scant;
- Timely cut of faded shoots;
- rejuvenation of overwhelmed bushes.
Culture does not require abundant irrigation – excess moisture can lead to rotting roots and various diseases. That is why it watered it moderately and rarely.
With rainy periods, watering is often excluded – the bushes are quite enough precipitation.
Perennial Gaylared Feed an average of up to three times in the season, namely:
- with the beginning of the formation of boutons;
- during the most intense flowering (July and August);
- In the fall at the end of the cutting cutter (September – October), 21-28 days before frosts.
For feeding applies compositions designed for flowers (composts, humus). Manure for these purposes is not suitable.
Pruning and gap
In trimming, the culture does not need, but to give it a “commodity” species and stimulation of the bootonization, the blurred shoots must be deleted. Such an operation conducted in September helps to avoid auto. Old 5-year-old bushes usually lose their decorative: deforming or fall apart. Therefore, 1 time in 3-4 years, the plant must be rejuvenated by division. Relief varieties need to be taped because they are often broken and falling.
For supports use branches or stems of other crops growing near, with strong blooms.
Gaylardia grows perfectly up to 4-5 years in one place without transfers, then requires soil updates. Replant better by the division of the bush with the beginning of spring or in the fall.
Collection of seeds
In order to collect seeds, the faded flowers are reliably covered with gauze and firmly fix it, preventing them in appearance on the soil. Before the beginning of the autumn, they are in such a “package” and are saved, and then collect them. Gaylardi seeds are not particularly popular, since the bushes descended in this way differ from the source product, they will not fully correspond to the varietal standards.
For the preservation of the “product” view of a lure more often put on a bush method.
Motherland Gaylardia – North American continent, so genetically plant can tolerate the cold and in special preparation for winter does not need. Gardeners can pour out a plant with fallen leaves or to inspire a soil peat.
Methods of breeding
Annual cultures usually determine seeds, and perennials – by separating bushes, shilling and seeds. Separate bushes in spring and autumn. Seeds are sighable before the onset of winter cold or in spring on open soils. Mute, treated from seeds bloom next year.
The simplest method of reproduction of a bulk – separation of bushes. The method is especially productive for bush specimens, because they grow extremely slow. Gardeners advise them to divide them in April or in the fall, at the end of the trimming.
The wells are watered before the transplant and make humus.
For the seed Foundation in the fall, specially retain a number of bushes for the aging of the seed stock. Then the seeds are packaged, dried for spring sowing. When landing, they are not placed in the ground by more than 0.5-1 cm, otherwise they will not sprout. Then the place of disembarks are watered and covered with a film. Sprouts usually cut through two incomplete weeks. Pick them in the stage of the occurrence of 2-3 sheets. Fixed sprouts are planting in open places under winter or coming spring. Bloom comes for the second year.
Important! Perennials intensively multiply an auto show, but the flowers of the flowers in newly descended bushes can significantly change.
Ruper rhizome, 4-5-year-old plants are removed from the soil, then the knife is cut into 2-3 parts, each of them includes root, and overhead elements. Necessary small pieces are badly leaving and difficult to bloom. Typically, 3 plants are obtained from 1 bush.
Transplantation produced in spring.
Often, gardeners are used to reproduce the cuttings of the roots. To this end, the plant is painted around the circumference and carefully remove from the soil. Then large roots are cut and divided them into pieces of 5 cm. Next, their semigorizantically fold into a greenhouse. Controlling soil moisturizes, spraying the upper part, on the appearance of the roots tolerate the material to adapt to the mini-bed for rooting the roots.
The method is used if you need to obtain a significant number of bushes of one variety.
Diseases and pests
The moistened soil contribute to the infection of culture with fungal diseases – Gray rot, flies dew, leaf spot. Therefore, compliance with competent irrigation is the key to growing healthy bushes. In the loss of the proper appearance and the occurrence of gray formations, infected leaves are immediately removed, and the bushes are treated with a solution of manganese (2.5 g of 10 liters of water).
When infection of many plants, flower bed are treated with fungicidal agents.
Usage in landscape design
The ability of culture is harmoniously combined with other cultures, for example, asparagus, chamomile, is widely used by designers in the oilyure of various landscapes or creating new. Gaylared looks great on any flowerbed, in flower beds or paliters. Depending on the type and features of the coloring, the culture is actively used, planting on balconies, loggias, window sills, borders. In the villages of Gaylardia, solemnly decorate the edges of the tracks, it will be harmoniously contrasted with the greenery of lawns, it will be a bright outfit for the Alpine slides. Bouquets are collected by applying varieties with elongated stems. Dried flowers are widely used to form wonderful compositions.
Tall views are advised to plant along with rosy cultures with a strong stem system.
About how to grow seedlings of Guylardia, you can find out by looking at the video below.