Before considering and tell about geranium reproduction methods at home, you need to describe this flower. Geranium refers to the genus of semi-student herbaceous plants. And also in nature there is a similar to geranium. Plant – Pelargonium.
Geranium has the right flowers with five petals and fruits with long tails. Pelargonium, unlike geranium, the flames of the wrong shape with spur. The leaves in plants are simple, have an oval shape, at the edges of small teeth. Geranium can be found in the wild, Pelargonium is a thermal-loving room plant, and often it is simply called room geranium and grown mainly at home. In the future, for simplicity, we will also call it geranium.
The reproduction of Pelargonium (hereinafter Gerani) at home – it is not difficult, and can cope any novice color lover. This flower has a wide variety of varieties, However, it is possible to breed and breed it in two ways: cuttings and seeds.
From seed shoots appear not immediately, after six months from the moment of the appearance of shoots, the plant will begin to bloom. Best breed a plant Vegetative, that is, with cuttings, then you can save all signs of a certain variety.
This is not only effective, but also the most reliable way, it also gives rejuvenation of the original maternal flower.
In order for geranium for a long time bloom and pleased with its beauty, it is necessary to draw geranium in a certain period. The most appropriate time for shilling up is either in winter or early in spring or in autumn.
The later dates, the greater the likelihood that the room geranium will bloom only the next year after January. Optimal are the two periods of the year. End of February to early April, when the plant actively produces vegetable juices. During the breeding of the plant in this period, the flowers will appear by the end of summer.
But also the right period for reproduction of the plant – the end of summer, the beginning of the autumn, when the plant has not yet left the phase of rest, in this case the plant will bloom the next year.
How to get cuttings from a maternal plant?
In order to get a healthy flower with a powerful root system, a large number of colors, breeding geranium needs to be correct and only with a healthy maternal flower. To correctly glisten the plants, you need to adhere to some rules.
- Need a sharp knife, which is pre-treated with alcohol. Otherwise, you risk damageing cuttings, and, as a result, its root system will develop slowly.
- Cuttings need to cut at an angle of 90 degrees (straight angle) to the main stalk. On the cutting at the time of the cut should be at least three leaves. If the grade is tall, then the length of the cutting should be from 5 to 7 centimeters. For low varieties of sufficient length there will be a stalk to 4 centimeters. It is desirable that there are no inflorescences or buds on the cuttings. Otherwise, the root system on the cutting will develop slowly and long to fit in the ground.
And another recommendation: when staring from an adult plant, it is the upper shoots that. Then the process is placed in water, preferably in opaque container, since the roots of the plant love darkness. When the sprout is formed a rather powerful root system, it can be transferred to the ground.
In order for the plant to not dilute and long bloody, it is necessary to make optimal conditions for him and due care. Capacity with a cutlets need to put On a sunny place, water must be changed 1 time in 2 days.
After the cuttings were successfully cut, and to continue to spread them, you need to disrupt all the arrows with flowers and buds. And also with a cutter remove the leaves, except for two – one top and second side. It is necessary to make the cutting system formed and developing the root system, and the power of the sprout was not spent on flowering.
When sprouts give their roots, they must be transplanted into a pre-prepared constant capacity. Like any other plant, geranium has its own varieties. Each variety sprout is needed to root. There are 4 main species of Gerani:
- Pelargonium is fragrant – the term of rooting up to 6 weeks;
- Royal Geranium – up to 4 weeks;
- plush geranium – 2 weeks;
- Zonal Pelargonium – the term of rooting is also 2 weeks.
There are 2 main species, as possible sprouts – it is in the ground and in water. Let’s describe these methods.
How to root in water?
The easiest way is to breed in water. But despite the simplicity of this method, it is not suitable for all colors. It is necessary to be attentive to the processs so that they do not start to rot, not letting the roots.
To quickly and easily dilute the processes, it is necessary to crush the tablet of activated carbon and pour it on the bottom of the package. Packaging should be dark or opaque, a disposable plastic glass is well suited. Then in a glass is poured in advance the dilated water, which must be necessarily room temperature, otherwise the process will not allow the roots and die.
Rostock is necessary only half to put into a glass, water in a glass change with periodicity of 2 days. This will avoid evaporation of liquid or, on the contrary, rotting the roots. When the roots of the sprout will grow by 3 centimeters, it will be possible to transplant it in the ground.
Landing in sad
Before transplanting cuttings into the ground, sprouts must be treated with a root. For such cases well Fits the preparation “Korniner”, But other analogs can also be used. Cuts on the processes need to be sprinkled or withstand in the solution of this or other fertilizer you chose. Then give them to dry, and then you can plant seedlings in a pot.
Before the finished cutlets plant in a permanent pot, you need to follow several rules
- Pot or any other vessel should be small, the optimal volume of packaging 200 milliliters. On the bottom there should be drainage holes so that excessive moisture remains in the ground. If you land out several sprouts in one big packaging, then there is a chance that the roots are confused and in the future you will be difficult to disassemble. To avoid this, when disembarking several sprouts, it is necessary to observe the distance between them at least 15 centimeters.
- Then on the bottom of the pot lay drainage. As well as instead of drainage, foam foam, pebbles, peat or cooked brick. Aligning the drainage layer on top of it, fall asleep in advance prepared loose soil. It can be prepared independently, mixing the humus, garden earth, sand (preferably river) and turne. The soil should cover only half the package so that after fixing the sprouts it would be possible to add.
- After that, the soil should be good to pour hot water hot water, you can also use a weak solution of manganese, which should also be hot. After that, give to completely cool the earth. Landing cuttings need to be at a depth of 2 to 4 centimeters, no less. The land around the cutter is tamping and, continuing to fill the pot of the earth, constantly tackling it.
- Gerani love heat and light, so the pot needs to put in a well-lit warm place. But before this, it is desirable that the pot with Spriver stands 2-3 days in a privacy place. The room temperature should be in the range of 15-25 degrees of heat. Water sprouts need carefully so that the water does not get on the leaves, otherwise they can start climbing. It is best to water through the pallet so that the water does not get on the leaves.
- If the cuttings weaken, or its leaves begin to shut up, then such a spurt need to create a greenhouse condition. Pot with sprout need to be covered or a can, or a transparent package.
Rooting the plant in the ground occurs much slower than in water. Therefore, after transplantation for sprouts, it is necessary to observe, and when there is no deviations to take action.
- If after landing the cuttings they got the leaves, they need to cut. If the leaves have become yellow and dry, it means that the moisture is missing, and it is necessary to increase the frequency of irrigation. In a situation where, on the contrary, the leavens began to appear, and the leaflets themselves became sluggish, says that you have moved with water, and you need to cut the watering. Otherwise, it is better to transplant cuttings in another pot, otherwise he may die.
- If the cutlets began to start on the stem near the earth, You need to cut it up to a healthy part of the stem and root in the new soil, following the above recommendations.
- If, after rooting, quite a long time passed, And new leaves appeared on your sprout, but the plant does not bloom, it means you picked up to him too much pot, and all life power goes into the roots. In this case, it is better to transplant it in a smaller container, or cut off the new stalk.
As soon as new leaves appear on the process, we can assume that the plant has fixed and passed on a pot.
Gradually, with time, geranium at the bottom of the barrel resets the leaves. The plant that was once fluffy and blooming can turn into a lonely stick with rare colors. To grow a plant with magnificent leaves and abundance of flowers, it needs to be constantly and properly.
And also, when growing geranium, it is necessary to remember that the constant transplantation of the plant from one pot to the other can reduce or stop flowering at all. Geranium refers to plants that do not like frequent transplant, it is necessary to transplant it only in special cases. For example, when the roots are sick in the plant, or when it is much gone.
The place in which you will stand the pot with geranium, you need to choose correctly. It should be a room in which there are no drafts. Watering the plant is needed moderate as the Earth grates, preferably through the pallet pot.
If at home you have dry air, the plant can be carefully sprayed with a spray with a spray gun, water should be clean and room temperature.
Geranium can be picked up 1 time per month by any mineral fertilizer for indoor plants. During flowering, potash-phosphoric fertilizers can be added. The plant is light-chapter, and therefore it is better to put it in a well-lit place.
With a lack of natural light, leaves and flowers are becoming small and pale. Since the plant forms flowers from all sides, the pot periodically needs to turn from side to side. And the last, if you want you to have a lush bush with time, and not a lonely stem, then after transplanting a sprout in the main pot cut the top.
In addition to room conditions, geranium grows very well on the street in warm seasons. When complying with the right watering, temperature and humidity, as well as lighting, you can grow a lush plant with abundant blooming.
Read more about reproduction of geraniums, you can learn from the following video.