Dolphinium – a beautiful herbaceous plant, which is still referred to. The annual is well-deserved in Russian flower flowers, as it feels perfectly in our climatic conditions, it is incredibly beautiful, has a huge amount of varieties and hybrid varieties. This luxurious blooming representative of the flora is able to decorate any plot.
To grow gibbing high, you need to have defined skills and know the features of this plant, its requirements. First of all, this plant is sensitive to a strong wind, loves the sun, does not tolerate the swampy terrain, water stagnation. In terms of competent leaving, the dolphinium will delight its exquisite blooming already at the beginning of the summer and bloom the second time in the early autumn. Delphinium belongs to the Familic Family, total there are almost 500 varieties. As a rule, flowerflowers deal with hybrid plants.
It is assumed that the name of this flower is obliged to associate buds with a dolphin’s head, but there is also a legend, according to which the ancient Greek young man created a sculpture of his beloved girl and revived her. For this misconduct, the gods turned him into a dolphin, who was presented with a beloved luxury bouquet of flowers on the seashore. As for the second name – the bellyness – it relates rather to the properties of therapeutic nature. After all, the dolphinium can help heals injuries and wounds faster.
Characteristic features of the plant:
- foliage of a split type, a form can be three-part, as well as five- and seven-party;
There are leaves of openwork type;
Leaves can be both gear and smooth border;
Height varies from 4 cm to 2 meters;
roots are very strong and well developed;
Flowering five-line, by type of bowl, on top there is an appendage, similar to the funnel – spur;
inflorescences of the type of pyramid, flower-free long;
Blossom shades – blue, pink, purple, white, purple, can be two-color;
There are varieties with Mahra and the semi-wave on the flower.
There are three main varieties of Delphinium.
Delphinium elatum– High dolphinium. The highest representative – can grow up to 3 meters. Stems darous, foliage saturated-green, looks like fingers in shape. Blossoms Creek, dense, bright blue.
Delphinium Grandiflora – Lug-flower. Annual plant up to 80 cm in height, distinguished by a dying stem with vertical branching. Triple leaves, flowers are grouped into large inflorescences. Starts bloom in the middle of summer. Color – blue or blue.
Dolphinium field. This is up to 2 meters high, starts blooming in July, it continues until September. Pyramid Type Flowers, can be terry or standard, colors – blue, lilac, white, pink.
The plant breeding began to be engaged in the XIX century, crossing a high dolphinium with large-flowered. This gave the first hybrid variety – Barlow, as well as types of Delphinium Formosum, Belladonna. After that, other hybrid varieties of various colors began to appear. Currently there are about 800 shades of dolphinium flowers of different diameters, with a variety of casing.
Types and varieties of Dolphinium are so diverse that they allow you to choose a flower for every taste. One of the first hybrids is the Dolphinium Ajax – subsequently received widespread and leng as the basis of crosses for new hybrids.
The most popular hybrid representatives of this plant in Russia:
- “Black Knight”
- “Red giant”
- “Princess Caroline”
- “Magic Fountain”
- “Crystal Delight”
- “King Arthur”
- “Highlander Blisbury Pay”
Hybrid plants are based on three main species and are divided into several groups.
This is a relatively new group of bellyness, which was derived several decades ago. New Zealand Dolphiniums are very unpretentious to the climate, steadyly tolerate cold, it bloom long, so they got the distribution among Russian flower water. This group of plants looks luxurious in garden sites. Distinctive traits:
High, reaches a two-meter height;
Flowering with Mahra or semi-net;
Coloros can reach 80 cm in height;
Inflorescences according to the type of brushes, large view, include from 4 to 6 petal rows;
The flower diameter is about 9 cm;
Color range Dobinal: White, Blue Tint, Others.
Among the most famous varieties are allocated as follows:
Blue lace terry – Known gently blue spectacular blossom.
- Royal Aspirations has a bright, expressive color of cornflower color;
- Green Twist – one of the most sophisticated varieties, snow-white;
- Sunny Skies It has a very bright bluish color;
- Misty Mauves Differs in luxurious lilac blossoms, decorated with Mahra;
- Deep Sweethearts – allocated saturated pink, dark color, have white or striped eyes;
- Morning Lights combined in itself blue and lilac;
- Dusky Maiden. Color – very gentle pink shade.
This group of plants is distinguished by direct stem, reaching 180 cm in height. The bloom is very large and spectacular by the type of candles, decorated with semi-empty. Flowers diameter about 7 cm. Plants these many years of type, but their life is small: as much as possible they grow 5 years. In our climate, they survive quite successfully, but require serious care. Among the most persistent varieties that are great in Russian realities, the following can be distinguished.
“Black Knight”. The stem grows about up to one and a half meters, the color is high (up to 70 cm), dense. Blossom of bright purple tone with black eye. Differs in early bloom.
Blue Jay. This representative of dolphiniums grows higher than the previous variety – up to 170 cm. Blossom of a saturated blue tone with long blooming. One of the most popular varieties in Russia.
- Blue Bird. The bush of this variety is pulled up to 170 cm. It begins blooming not very early – in about July. It has beautiful restrained blue inflorescences, decorated with white eye.
- “Galahad”. This representative grows a little higher – up to 180 cm. Flowering cone-shaped, not too dense, snow-white. Differs in early bloom.
- “Dzhenev”. The two-meter stem is decorated with large flowers, which have a color connecting rose and lilac, with a semi-email around the edges. One of the highest varieties in the group. Blossom Late.
- “Cameljard”. One of the most beautiful representatives of dolphiniums, flowering petals painted in a deep lavender shade.
- King Arthur. Height reaches 180 cm, decorated with semi-world flowers, purple color. Late variety.
- “PARTIK”. One of the most popular dolphiniums in Russia, height exceeds one and a half meters, flowers up to 8 cm in diameter, car-shaped inflorescences of large sizes. Perfectly tolerate both cold and drought. Used in landscape design, in floral compositions.
This is a domestic group of varieties that divorced taking into account the terms of our climate, therefore the most popular in the country. Their decorative and high-quality properties are as high as foreign. Distinctive features of this group of plants:
Bushes neat, height up to 180 cm;
Pyramidal inflorescences, decorated with semi-modes, large size;
Flowers highlight the following varieties in this group of dolphiniums:
“Spring Snow” – large-flowered type, blossom white;
- “Blue lace” – It has a luxurious thin blue shade of flowering;
- “Daughter of winter” – just below the previous representatives (up to 160 cm), snow-white
- “Pledge of youth” – about the same height, has inflorescences up to 70 flowers of the pinkish shade;
- “Caravan” – It has a pronounced vanilla fragrance, flowers of a beautiful shade of tender lavender;
- “Summer morning” – Flowers are very large, in inflorescence there can be up to 90 pieces, a color purple with a pink sweat;
- “Morpheus” – purple inflorescences, including 60 flower.
These varieties are distinguished by large flowering in the form of a lumber, branched inflorescences in the form of broom. Most popular varieties:
“Casablanca” – one of the most common among gardeners, white flowers, in the center a little with a yellow tide, ideal for floral compositions in the cut;
- “Arnold Becklin” – color dark blue;
- Bergchimmel – very high, up to 2 meters, blue color, in the center has white eyes;
- “Capri” – Another gentle blue shade;
- “Mergeim” – white dolphinium up to 120 cm in height;
- “FolkerFrid” – Blue sky color with snow-white or black shades eyes, large-flowered.
These are perennial dolphiniums, decorated with chic Mahra and Superman, the inflorescences are very thick – up to 60 petals on each flower. The bush does not exceed one and a half meters in height, blooming up to 80 cm. Unpretentious, resistant varieties, color scheme is very diverse. The following varieties of Scottish hybrids are very popular:
- Blueberry Pie;
- Moon Light;
- Sweet Sensation;
- Crystal Delight;
- DeePest Pink.
Examples in landscape design
Very often, gardeners are decorated with this representative of the flora space along the fences and fences, along the perimeter of the plot.
- The flower arrangements of the Dolphinium with other representatives of the flora look implicitly.
- Landscape ensembles from colors of different shades are able to decorate any flower garden.
- Dolphinium perfectly looks on flowerbeds with larger plants. It is recommended to place it in the center.
- Even several dolphinium bushes are able to give the landscape expressiveness and efficiency.
- Luxuriously looks like a plant in chaotic flower beds, in the frame of other colors.
- High graceful flowers look great as the selection of any space, for example, lawn.
- You can safely plant a dolphinium along the tracks – you are provided with an incredibly beautiful view when walking.
Video about the types and varieties of Dolphinium see below.