Carnation Sadovaya – this is a perennial plant with high decorative qualities. It is used both to create bouquets and for designing garden sites. The flower with a pronounced aroma is well adjacent to other plants, so that it is often used in landscape design. To beautiful buds pleased with the Early Spring to Late Autumn, you need to know some subtleties of landing, breeding and care for this perennial flower.
Carnation garden long-term (lat. Dianthus Caryophyllus) or Dutch – this is a decorative plant of the clove family. Flower prefers moisturous fertile soils, occurs in the moderate climate of Central Europe. A typical view is a medium-sized plant, the height of the stem is up to 80 cm. Whole-minded leaves, covered with light gray-green rim. Length of leaves is 12-15 cm. Flowers – Single buds or collected in umbrellas with a diameter of 38-40 cm to 5 pcs. Blossom abundant for 2-3 weeks. Flowering period – from early June to the end of October.
Plant looks like a small shrub. Stem strong, leaves predominantly narrow. After flowering in sinuses, seed boxes appear in the sinuses. Fruits are brown or brown. Depending on climatic conditions, the plant can bloom on one place 2-3 seasons, after which it must be transplanted. The rhizome of the garden cloves is developed weak, it lies in the ground no deeper than 10-20 cm.
All Dianthus belongs to grassy plants. Depending on the climate and gravity conditions, they can give two types of shoots: with flowers and vegetative. Carnations are distinguished by color, the number of buds and types of petals. Cultural garden varieties are represented by a wide color palette – from gently pink to bright red or purple.
Types and varieties
There are several hundred varieties and types of garden cloves. All of them are cultivated as decorative plant, including hybrids. The names of many species originate from the appearance of the flower or its place of growth.
- Turkish or bearded. It belongs to the most unpretentious varieties, well tolerates cold. This plant is of different sizes – on average, the height of the shoots reaches 55-60 cm, but there are also low-spirits. A distinctive feature of the species – large inflorescences in which flowers are collected with smooth or terry petals.
- Cutty carnation. This long-term view is the most popular at gardeners. The mid-grade plant is used to form a landscape and grown on the flower beds. Regardless of the grade, the height of the cement carnation does not exceed 30 cm. A distinctive feature of the species is its ability to grow. The perennial can bloom several times a year, thanks to which it is used to decorate household plots and house areas. He is good in cutting and retains freshness and aroma in bouquets up to 2 weeks.
- Garden perennial or dutch. The plant is widely cultivated and used for cutting and compiling bouquets. It relates to a greenhouse and is grown everywhere all year round. The species has a large number of subspecies of different colors and heights. The length of the stems of tall varieties is 60-100 cm, the average – 30-60 cm, compact or decorative – up to 30 cm.
- Travyanka. Wild-growing view that grows throughout. The height of the stem is 38-40 cm. This species is distinguished by small flowers collected in small inflorescences. Color buds are different, more often found pink and red shades. The species does not require careful care and can be grown for landscaping the site instead of grass on lawns.
- Indian. Indoor decorative plant that rarely meets in nature. It prefers a warm wet climate and in the open soil grows mainly in Australia, South America and Africa. The characteristic distinction of this species is large white flowers collected in inflorescences. Wave bloom lasts up to two months.
Consider more popular varieties.
- “Shabo”. Perennial has large flowers of various shades. Often there are buds of white, yellow and scarlet color. The distinctive characteristic of the variety is a strong aroma and narrow short leaves of bright saturated color. Velvety inflorescences on a small shrub fit for decorative design of the garden plot.
- “Grenadine”. This variety is grown mainly on the cut. Carnation with large flowers is found in various shades. Motherland “Grenadin” is considered a Mediterranean, but it is well acknowledged in a cooler climate. Cold-resistant and unpretentious grade looks good at the flower beds.
- Carnish Androevsky. A distinctive feature of the variety are SIZY Stems without leaves. Petals of buds are covered with snacks and small cloths, so it is often called a terry. Color color is usually red, less often pink. Androevsky’s carnation tolerates temperature differences, lack of moisture and feeding. The plant is lightless and poorly tolerates shadow.
- Hybrid. Popular grade is represented by flowers of various shades. It is widely cultivated by gardeners. A distinctive feature is a motley color – there are copies with striped petals, specks and specks.
Florists often use alpine bright bright carnations. Due to the wide color palette, garden cloves of different varieties can be used to create various compositions. Consider in more detail the best grade for growing in the garden.
- “Champagne” (Champagne). Terry Golden Petals Emit a Pleasant Gentle Aroma. Flowers with a diameter of 5-7 cm are collected in inflorescences, which can be up to 20-25 pieces. Low stems form a neat bush. The variety is suitable for the design of the flower and for cutting on bouquets. After long blossom of bud (from June to October), it is recommended to put plants in the room.
- Aurora (Aurora). Medium-sized shrubs have high decorative qualities. On long reprehension shoots are pink buds collected in inflorescences. Thick terry petals are revealed at the beginning of summer and continue to bloom until the end of October. Cold-resistant grade is suitable for temperate climate, and in the southern regions can decorate the flower beds with bright buds twice per season. Decorative flowers well tolerate the neighborhood with other types of cloves.
How to plant?
Cloves have southern origins, so we prefer solar plots. When choosing a place to pay attention to the acidity of the soil – it should be neutral, otherwise the plant will hurt. High shrubs and trees can shadow seedlings, so it is advisable to choose a free open place. When landing the carnations to open soil will need to reduce acidity. Best use dolomite flour. The landing of the cloves is carried out in early spring (beginning or middle of March), when the earth warms up enough, and the air temperature will reach + 15 ° C.
Seeds on seedlings are planted in small drawers, are slightly moistened with warm water and covered with film (glass). The first shoots will appear in about 2-3 weeks. Boxes with sprouted seeds need to put in the sun and open a film. When the second present leaf appears, picking. Plants are planted into the ground to a depth of 1-2 cm – the root neck should not be strongly bundled. So that the carnation passed well, it is necessary to plant seedlings at a distance of 30-40 cm from other plants.
Interesting! Garden carnation does not tolerate noise. Studies have shown that the flowers will be better to grow away from roads and other sites where many loud sounds.
How to care for?
When complying with simple rules of agricultural engineering, some varieties can grow in one place under 5 years. The main rules of care can be divided into the following steps:
- loosening soil, cleaning from weeds;
- Preparation for winter.
Watering should be frequent, but it is impossible to flood a plant. Stagnation of moisture can lead to illness and even the death of the flower. After flowering you need to cut buds, shorten the stalks. This will help the plant to recover faster. It will be able to bloom the second time per season. To keep a multi-year flower in winter, the carnation will need to be wrapped, and cover the root with underfloor material.
In the harsh climatic conditions, the plant can be digging, transplanting in a flower pot and put into the room or on the covered veranda. All varieties are suitable for wintering indoors.
The feeding should be carried out according to the following scheme:
- 1 year – nitrogen-containing fertilizers are made;
- 2 year – complex and mineral feeding.
Methods of breeding
Gardening carnation is not recommended to grow in one place for longer than 2 years, so the bush will need to disassemble. Modify the plant in several ways.
- Shining. Transplantation With the help of a cutter helps to keep all the varietal color characteristics, which is the most acceptable for alignment and hybrid species. These varieties are good at the other place, after a few months they are able to bloom. Shooting is desirable to spend at the beginning of the summer. From the bush, small shoots are cut off with a length of 10-12 cm. At the bottom you need to make a slant cut and visit the sand substrate. To roighten them, they are watered and covered with a film, like when planting seeds. The shoots are rooted for 20-25 days and ready to land at a new place.
- Division bush. This process is desirable to produce this process for further rooting of garden cloves in spring time, upon completion of flowering. A healthy bush intended for reproduction is gently digging and cut the rhizome on the decene. Each part should remain at least 3 kidneys of growth. Each decene is planted in an open soil and care for a young plant.
- Digging. Flowers with vegetative shoots can still be propagated. On each of the intersals, it is necessary to make a small longitudinal suction with a sharp knife. Lower the lower side of the stem cut down and sprinkle the earth. For rooting, it is necessary to constantly maintain soil moisture. After formation of the root, young shoots appear, so the plant can be carefully separated from maternal and transplant to any place.
Diseases and pests
One of the most common reasons for the appearance of fungal infections is the mooring of the soil. To protect the plot from fungal diseases, it is necessary to carry out preventive measures. At the beginning and in the middle of the growing season you need to spray stalks and leaves of cloves by fungicidal drugs.
Consider a Read more Myzes.
- Alternariasis. This disease is a fungal infection of leaves and flowers, which faded and fall. The appearance on the stems and sheets of brown spots with a dark raid should serve as a signal to the fact that the plant urgently needs processing.
- Fusariosis. This disease often passes unnoticed, manifests itself a slowdown in flower growth.
- Rust. It is often transmitted from other plants. Signs of the disease are brown stains on the stalks and plants sheets. Patients should be removed, carnation to treat fungicide “Aktellik”, “Aktara” and “Mospilan”.
If we consider Virosa, it is worth identifying several diseases.
- Mosaic. Symptoms of the disease are small strokes or specks, which over time dried leaf. On the flowers with red and pink petals manifests itself in the form of thin light strips.
- Capacity. If part of the buds does not bloom during the flowering period, and chloric spots appear on young shoots, most likely the plant is infected. Over time, the flower dries completely and dies.
- Bustystost. Strong branches and a large number of young shoots can be a sign of illness. Growth slows down, there are no buds.
It is worth paying attention to measures of struggle.
- Pruning and choking the affected plants. Destruction of pests-carriers and weeds. For their destruction it is necessary to treat the soil and plants insecticides. Gardeners prefer the use of folk remedies, such as infusion of onion husks or potato tops. And you can also put between rows of calendula or mint.
- Special danger represents a scoop, tripses and halves nematodes. If the plant struck nematodes, it must be pulled out and burn it and burn. Soil in place of a patient flower will need to be additionally treated with boiling water, and after any insecticide.
Usage in landscape design
Caryophyllaceae genus flowers are often used for flower bed. You can land with single landings, in combined and mixed groups. Thanks to the wave flowering of different varieties, shrubs will decorate the territory within 2-3 seasons. Perennials form soft colored pads from thin narrow leaves and begin to disperse in early June. Low grades are suitable for decorating stony gardens.
In mixed landings, the carnation feels good in surroundings of the cross, yarrow and a broken kie. Successful combination will be elegant gypsophila. From the neighborhood with tulips, it is advisable to refuse – they can infect delicate flowers with fungal diseases. Decorative varieties are perfectly leaving in greenhouses and can bloom a big year. Flowers can be decorated with open terraces and verandas, in combination with wildflowers, they will decorate the rocky garden. The root carnation system lies shallow, so decorative flowers can also be planted in pots and mounted caspo.
About how to grow a gardening trisy carnation from seeds, see the following video.