The main decoration in the interior of houses and apartments is room flowers, so many housing owners for the decor are trying to choose special types of plants that distinguish bright color and forms. Azalea Indian enjoyed a great popularity in flower water. It is represented in a variety of coloring and allows you to create original compositions not only in rooms, but also in garden sites.
Azalea Indian (Indica) refers to the genus Rhododendron, translated from ancient Greek its name means “dry”. This decorative flower is a blooming evergreen shrub, his homeland is Southern Europe and North America. To date, there are about 350 varieties of this flower. In conditions of home cultivation, the plant reaches a height of no more than 50 cm. It is distinguished by dark green leaves, which are located on short stiffs and have a length of up to 3.5 cm.
In nature, shrub prefers to grow in areas where cool temperature and increased humidity prevails. The period of its flowering is usually at the beginning of December and the end of January, while the late varieties produce flowers at the end of February and early March. Indian azalea inflorescences have a bright coloring, in which purple, white, purple and pink shades prevail. Middle-sized flowers, their diameter does not exceed 7 cm. When the plant blooms, it pleases not only with its decorative species, but also fills the surrounding space with a gentle aroma.
A lot of flowers are formed on the shrub. They are located next to each other (2-3 pieces), as a result, they create a thick and bright “cap”.
In order for the plant always lush and retained his shape, it should be periodically sticking, removing young shoots during flowering.
If this is not done, the flower will start to lose its “vitality” and spend all the food on the growth of new shoots, after which the development will significantly slow down.
Azalea Indica is represented by various varieties, each of which differs not only by decorative properties, but also the conditions of cultivation. Therefore, before purchasing such a “beauty”, it is important to know what will be required for its care. The most popular species of plants include: “John Herez”, “Nioba”, “Congre”, “Albert Elizabeth”, “Celective”, “Esmeralda”, “Eggregrechti”, “Vervenyan Rosea” and “Fritz Saidor”. At the same time, several varieties are in great demand for flower water.
- “AdventGlokhlen”. The variety is characterized by the early middle of the flowering period, during the shrubs there appear nonachhrovaya bells of red or crimson flowers. The diameter of buttes is up to 6 cm.
- Weisse Schame. This variety has flowers to have a broad-sided form, their diameter – 6.5 cm. As for the color, it can be both creamy, white and light pink.
- DOBERLUG. This flower is one of the most beautiful varieties of Azalea Indian, whose flowers are distinguished by the wrong form. They are terry, medium in size (diameter up to 7.5 cm) and painted in a dark pink shade with snow-white border.
- “Dresden 1936”. When the plant blooms, it does not leave anyone indifferent, because the shrubs are covered with medium-terry flower (their diameter – 6.5 cm) of pink, which are unusually shine and shimmer.
Novice flowerfall florists are recommended to acquire for cultivation at home varieties of small-bedroom azaleas. These include: Kocho No Mai, Cattleya, ADDY WERY, AZUMA KAGAME, ADONIS and HIMOMAYO. They are less demanding of care, resistant to various diseases and quickly take root after transplantation.
So that shrubs have become the main element of the decor in the room, it is best to acquire several varieties that differ in color. As a result, it turns out the original mix.
Azalea Indica loves soil with elevated acidity (pH from 4 to 4.5), so it is best to purchase it in specialized stores to land. If there is experience in the preparation of landing mixtures yourself, they can be easily obtained by mixing coarse sand, coniferous soil and peat in proportions 1: 2: 1. A large role before planting the plant plays and the choice of the right pot. Capacity should be small, shallow, wide and having holes for drainage. Large container is not recommended to buy, because the flower grows slowly and in unused soil may develop pathogenic bacteria. At the bottom of the pot, you need to put the drainage layer consisting of small pebbles or clay.
During the planting of the culture, it is important not to disturb the integrity of the Earth Koma, which reliably protects its root system.
How to care for her?
Despite the fact that Azalea Indian is considered one of the most beautiful and popular species of indoor plants, care at home behind it is not easy. The flower is considered very whimsical to the conditions of cultivation and requires maximum comfort. So after buying it should be provided with certain care.
- Lighting. Shrub does not tolerate the effects of direct rays of the Sun, it should be placed in places protected from bright light, otherwise it can die at the initial stages of its development. Good suitable for the plant window sills with northern, eastern or western side of the apartment.
The plant prefers to grow in free space, so it should be taken more often to open air.
- Temperature mode. In the cool time of the year (in the fall and winter) for Azalea, it is necessary to create the optimal temperature regime in the range from +15 to +17 degrees. After it is ready for blossom, the temperature must be reduced to the mark + 10- + 12 degrees. In the summer you also need to make sure that the shrub is placed, the air temperature does not exceed +22 degrees.
- Air humidity. Since the flower in wildlife conditions used to grow in zones with high humidity, then in room conditions it is necessary to maintain humidity at least 70%. At the same time, it can be additionally sprayed with water room temperature, but it is necessary to do it carefully, because due to the large amount of moisture, the sheets will darken.
- Watering. Water procedures should be carried out only by estimated water in which citric acid can additionally add. You can not allow complete drying of the Earth, as it is too harmful to the plant. Summer tanks with azalia should be installed in a special pallet filled with water. Thanks to this, the moisture of the soil will continue for a long time.
- Podkord. Fertilizers are necessary both during the active development of culture and at rest. The fertilizer can be used as feeding, which includes ammonium nitrate, superphosphate, potassium sulfite and other nutritional trace elements.
- Pipping and trimming. When Azalea Indica begins to bloom, it is important to monitor its appearance and timely remove the shockless buds and seed boxes. In this period, the plant also needs to trim (pinch) shoots, as in the future it will contribute to more lush flowering. The well-groomed form gives a flower with the help of pinching young processes, they leave only 4-5 leafs on them. Remove and processes that have grown on flower kidneys. Azalia Indian needs to be cleaned also from weak and too scorched shoots. Pruning, as a rule, start in March and spend it until May inclusive. If you do not hold such events, the plant turn into an empty bush and there will be weakly blossom.
It is important to note that this type of plant is poisonous and when ingested inwards the human body can lead to fatal outcomes. To prevent that it is recommended to do in gloves.
An important role in caring for a decorative flower plays and preparations for wintering. Azalia should be placed during this period to the room where the temperature regime is constantly maintained + 15ºС. It is under such conditions that a plant will be able to “relax” well, gain strength and survive wintering without negative consequences. To Azalea Indian pleased with early bloom, in February it should be provided with feeding, watering and additional artificial lighting. If you adhere to all of the above conditions in the cultivation, then Indian “beauty” will definitely thank its owners with chic and fragrant flowers.
Methods of breeding
Azalea Indica at home breeds quite difficult, but experienced gardeners are successfully coped with this.
Seed reproduction usually use breeders who are searching for new varieties. This is done mixing signs of plants. Sowing is carried out in prepared acid soil consisting of overwhelming pine needles and peat. The container with the sinky seeds is placed in a bright place and covered with polyethylene, waiting for shoots. The room temperature should not be below + 24ºС. During this period, it is important to monitor the level of humidity of the soil and perform timely irrigation.
Seeds begin to germinate in different times – from 1 week to 2 months. When the container began to show friendly shoots, the air temperature decreases and remove the protective shelter.
Watering future plants should be moderately, otherwise they will be able to get sick “black leg”.
After the formation of the first leaflets, seedlings can be searched into a constant capacity.
As for the reproduction of cuttings, it is much easier to perform it than seeding. The best period for cutting Chenkov is spring (March) and summer (June). As a planting material, cuttings are selected with a length of 5 to 8 cm. They are cut, treated with special preparations that stimulate growth, and plant to the ground to a depth of 2 cm. After that, the container is covered with polyethylene, and the cuttings are watered, ventilated and sprayed with extras. After about 6 weeks, the roots will appear on the cuttings, the final process of the formation of which can occupy up to 6 months.
Division of shrub
In addition to the above breeding techniques, some flowers also carry out the division of shrub. For this, three- or four-year-old bushes are taken, which can be divided into separate parts and land in a pot.
This procedure requires accuracy, since the slightest error may damage the roots and the subsequent death of the plant.
Diseases and pests
Azalea Indian is considered a steady plant to diseases and pests, but due to improper conditions of departure (ingress of direct rays of the sun, poor-quality watering, high temperature, inconsistencies of the soil composition) The flower may be affected by insects and fungal diseases. It is worth considering common plant diseases.
- Phytofluoro. The reason for its appearance is long, abundant moistening of the Earth or stagnation of water in the drainage layer. To prevent such a disease, it is necessary to constantly monitor the frequency of irrigation, and when the color is transplanting only a disinfected soil.
- Gray rot and rust. Such diseases arise due to temperature differences in the room. As prevention and treatment, removal of affected leaflets perform and restore the optimal air temperature mode.
- Chlorosis. If the azalia is planted into the soil containing the wrong composition, then its leaves are amazed by chlorosis and begin to yellow. Avoid such a problem will help the purchase of finished soil in stores.
As for the pests, the Azalea Indica most often suffers from Tly, a spider tick, whiteflies and shields. For the prevention of their appearance, it is recommended to process special preparations.
About the cultivation of Azalea Indian look in the following video.