Dahlias – flowers that have long won popularity and loved many flowers. There are many believes and legends about this flower. The number of forms and shades of the plant affects its diversity, there will be its variety for each garden. Such flowers will decorate home flower bed, loggias, balconies, borders and perfectly complement any flower composition.
Motherland Georgina is considered Central America. In Europe, this flower was brought from Mexico in the XVIII century. Local tribes used tubers in food and when treating various diseases. Europeans immediately rated the decorative qualities of this flower. In Russia, the plant was called in honor of St. Petersburg Academician and. Georgi, the people began to call him Georgy. In scientific circles, the name is fixed in the female genus – Georgin.
Georgin or Dahlia refers to the Astrov family. Time of his flowering – from the middle of the summer until the middle of autumn. It all depends on the region where flowers grow, from the care of them, the varieties of the plant and T. D. This is an autumn flower that pleases bright colors up to the most frosts. At low temperature, the ground part of the plant dies.
Most often it is perennial plants with tuber-thickened roots, but there are one-year varieties.
Some gardeners argue that even from annuals can grow plants for one year, if you have certain knowledge and carefully care for them.
Stem flower hollow, depending on the variety can grow up to 2.5 m. Curiz leaves, pairwise and opposite sitting. Inflorescence – basket, petals, depending on the variety, are twisted differently or flat.
Georgina is known for their unpretentiousness in leaving and variety in flowering.
They look good and in household plots, and in urban landscapes. Flower and not indifferent to beautiful people love this plant for a variety of colors, shapes and sizes of a flower.
The height of the stem is distinguished by the following dahlias:
- tall – 1.2 m and more;
- average – 90-120 cm;
- low – 60-90 cm;
- low – up to 60 cm.
By diameter, inflorescences are:
- more than 25 cm;
- 20-25 cm;
- 15-20 cm;
- 10-15 cm;
- up to 10 cm.
Today there are more than 15 thousand varieties of dahlias. In international classification, 10 main plants groups are distinguished. They differ in shape, the structure of inflorescences, the form of petals and terrain.
Nexle or single row
Petals are located in one row in a flower with a diameter of 10 cm. In height, they are low – less than 50 cm. Multiply through seeds.
Bottom flower petals are located in one or more rows. In the middle of the petals have an elongated tube. Flower diameter – 10 cm, Plant height – 60-90 cm.
The inflorescence consists of one outer range of petals and one internal. Internal petals Short, twisted, have another color and resemble collars. Flower diameter – 10 cm, Plant height – 70-120 cm.
They have semi-world inflorescences. Petals shaped flat and form several rows. In the center of the flower there are tubular petals. Diameter – 12-15 cm. Adult height bush – 75-120 cm.
The most numerous class. Differs in variety in blossom paints. Flower lush and completely terry. Petals flat, slightly woven, bent to stalk. The flower diameter depending on the variety can be from 10 to 25 cm.
Round Form Flowers with Gustomah Work Solid. Flower diameter – 8-15 cm. The bush grows in a height of up to 120 cm. At the bottom of the petals are twisted into a narrow tube, and on the tips – more round.
Similar to spherical, but less in size. The flower has in diameter 5 cm and more. The lower petals are coarsened and have a rounded or blunt shape of the tips. The bush grows with a height of 90-120 cm.
The diameter of the flowers of this variety is absolute different – from 8 to 25 cm. Plant height – 90-150 cm. Boundal petals of inflorescences have a fresh, narrow, pointed form.
Inflorescence terry. Georgins are very similar to the previous variety of characteristics. At the base of the petals are cooled less than half.
Transition or mixed
This group includes all the remaining dahlias that were not listed.
There are several legends about how this beautiful flower appeared. Here is one of them. The glacial period begins, the last fire is expelled, a beautiful flower appears in his place. This is Georgin, which turned out to be pretty Living. When ice and snow came down, he appeared first. Probably, therefore, Georgin is considered a symbol of life and revival.
Since then, the grades of Georgin have appeared a great set – for every taste and color. Get acquainted with several most popular species.
- “Sidler Stolts” – Compact size, grows in a height of up to 40-50 cm. Decorative, flower diameter – 10-13 cm. Color – White With Bordet Mode. On the bush often because of the colors themselves are not peeled leaves. You can admire the whole 7 or even 9 months.
This variety does not require garter stem and easily withstands strong wind gusts. They can be decorated with flower beds and borders, balconies and loggia. Perfectly feels in pots. Perennial.
- Georgin Decorative “Fernkeff Duo” grows in height to 130 cm. The flower is white, tips of pink-pink, diameter – 14 cm.
- Georgy “Melodi Fanfar” – Low rise plant height 60 cm. Flowers Lilac, Middle Bright, Yellow Color. Perfectly grows in vases, pots, cachep. Flower diameter – 12 cm.
- “Myrtle Falls” – tube decorative fringe plant. Grows up to 120 cm. Cream flower with dark pink tips, diameter – 15-20 cm. Petals in the form of twisted tubes with strongly dissected tips. Breeding tubers.
- “Pasodobl” – grows up to 110 cm. The flower is bright, with a lemon-yellow center, and the bottom petals are white. Flower diameter – 12 cm.
- “Grand Finals” – The variety belongs to the group of half-paste. Large flower with red color, white-pink ends. The flower diameter is 25 cm, the height of the plant itself is up to 100 cm. This group has a pubic petals are wider at the base. From the center they disagree in all directions.
- Frost NIP – The height of the adult plant is 90-120 cm. The flower is large, in diameter is 22 cm. Bronze-orange color, with pointed white tips. Refers to the decorative group.
- Cordesse. Flower diameter – 14 cm. Adult height – 100 cm. Color – white with light lilac border. Refers to decorative.
Planted dahlia simply, but certain knowledge is required, how to do it. Perennial tubers should prepare from autumn, and buy seeds in advance. Depending on the tubers or seeds, the flower grows, the process will pass a little differently.
Specialized stores are offered a huge selection of seeds.
They can be sowned to open soil, but if you want the dahlias to bloom longer, drink and grow seedlings in advance.
This will require approximately 35 days, so it should be done in the beginning of May.
Instructions for sowing seeds are pretty simple.
- Prepare the Earth (buy or blank yourself from autumn). With the first way easier: do not waste time preparation in the fall. The second method of more laboriousness and will take extra time.
- Mix the earth, peat and sand in proportions 2: 1: 1.
- Place the land in the container and plant seeds.
- Suck them from above a little earth, literally at 3-5 mm.
- Pour the Earth immediately after the preparation and sowing of seeds from a small sprayer, and then – as the soil drying.
- Place in a warm place with a temperature of 25-27 degrees.
- Daily ventilate the room where there is seedlings.
- After 10 days, fall out the seedlings in individual containers.
- Before boarding, prepare the soil in advance and swipe it with a hot potassium permanganate solution. Do it three days before picking seedlings in the individual capacity. Water by necessity.
- Take out the seedlings for fresh air in the afternoon for a couple of hours 1-2 weeks before planning in a flower garden, it adapts plants to the abundance of air.
- Space seedlings in open soil when the soil warms up to 10 degrees and the threat of frosts. Optimal time – beginning of June.
The process of preparing for landing of dahlias by tubers (modified shoots) consists of several stages.
- If you purchase tubers in the store, then be attentive, pass the future purchase. Cornklubny must be strong, fleshy, and the neck is not rotten.
- Many experienced flower flower tubers are stored in autumn. Get them and examine them. All unnecessary (dry or fiddled areas) Cut. If the roots are flabbing, plant is not planted. Cutting with green or manganese for disease prevention.
- Examine the roots after storage in a weak solution of manganese. Then spread in a row and put in the sun or in a warm place so that they do. The main thing is not to overclude.
- Before boarding, divide the tubers into several parts with a conventional knife.
After the preparatory stage, plant seedlings or corount in open ground. At the same time, try to adhere to the following recommendations.
- Lock the plants into the heated ground. Do not hurry because of unpredictable weather. Frosts may even be in the end of spring, so planted dahlia at the end of May – early June.
But from low temperatures you can save flowers, it will take a plastic 5-liter bottle. Lined plants close to her from above.
Pre-cut the top of the bottle, and on the bottom, make a few holes so that the plant is drawn.
Bottle Fall off the earth for heat. Can be replaced with a film.
- Place for planting Choose solar and ventilated, but protected from severe wind gusts.
- Earth must be loose and skip water well. Dahlias grow on any soil, but choose a rich area.
- Water the plant after landing as needed, how the land will dry. Pouring water dahlia dangerous – roots can bend.
- In the soil from the fall, make a compost and humus from the calculation of 3-5 kg per square meter.
- In the spring for the growth of dahlias, add wood ash and compost to the landing section, better if it is not deciduous. All fence the rake.
- Change whenever possible every season landing place.
- Do not squeeze dahlia in place where Astra grew to exclude infection with fungal diseases.
- Favorable for dahlias Soil acidity is pH 6.5-6.7.
- Space dahlias at a distance of each other. Large and medium grades – 1 m from each other, dwarf – 0.5 m.
Tubers for disembarking Deliver in advance – about 2-3 weeks before landing in the ground. So that the plants were beautiful, healthy and high bright, before planting it is necessary to divide the tubers. This is necessary for several reasons:
- The flower with one or two stems blooms and grows better;
- The variety does not degenerate and rejuvenates – the development of Cornklubne.
For landing, you can use several ways. First method: Squeeze immediately in the open ground in the garden. The process is as follows:
- After preparing all the necessary, dig a pit, which will be three times the root system by volume;
- On the bottom to put a reworked manure and pour a small layer of land so as not to burn the roots;
- Place the root in the hole and fall asleep his land – the kidney must be at the top;
- Stem, too, applied the earth, leave only a few centimeters above the surface, it will give an additional support for the plant, especially if the flower is high.
The second way will lock the plant from frosts. For him, begin to germinate the tubers in the spring as follows:
- Cropped and processed tubers plant in container with peat or fertile land;
- Pour and leave for a couple of weeks, the temperature must be 18-20 degrees;
- After the advent of the kidneys, divide root roots on the share;
- Dellets again fall out and leave for a while;
- Sit down the plant into an open soil as soon as the soil warms up to 10 degrees.
This method is perfectly suitable for regions with a short summer. Plants will bloom earlier and will delight their bright colors.
Open ground care
Care for dahlias just.
- Make a layer of mulch under the plant, it will protect it from slugs, weeds, and moisture will evaporate less.
- Water flower 1-2 times a week, but focus on weather conditions. Do not pour dahlia, roots can bend.
- Plunge the plant to raise less often. Before irrigating the land, after irrigation, fall asleep again.
- In the process of growth and development, feed the plant in turns by organic and mineral fertilizers twice a month.
- Stems from dahlias hollow, from strong busting winds they can break. Slide the flowers to the reliable support. If the stem is broken, it can be reanimated by a bus. Wand fix the scene of the slick and tie it to the support.
- Cut off the extra boutons and stalks. It helps the flower is better to grow and blossom in large, beautiful buds. Enough to leave on one flower three stems and two boutons. High plants remove the side stems. Cut the tagged flowers, faded leaves and stems.
Fighting pests and diseases
Most often, TLL, slippers, inhafts appear in Georgic. Need to be attentive and as soon as the pests are detected, take action. Soap solution will help, and the processing of plants with decoine wormwood and celandine will save from the rest of pests. Do it follows in the evening 1 time in 7 days. At the initial stages, such treatment will help, but if the pests are already a lot, then it is worth using special drugs.
From ticks, trips, caterpillars process insecticidal flower. Georgine’s mucus is treated with superphosphate or pesticides, for example, the preparation of “thunderstorm”. From the Tly will help “Phytoverm”, “Confander”, “Decis”.
Georgina is sick with many diseases. Often these are fungal diseases that occur due to high humidity and planting of plants. The following actions will serve as prevention:
- Plants on a dry, sunny place;
- Observe the distance when landing;
- Avoid the proximity of groundwater and low sections where water accumulates.
Fungal Diseases include gray rot, leaf spottedness, brown rot, verticilla and fusarious wilt. In the fight against these diseases, use Fungicides “Topcin”, “Fundazoll”, “Blelyt” or “Rusurl”.
If the disease has been delayed, then remove the plant with roots and burn, and the land is treated with garden lime. Put plants after such diseases here is not recommended. The same should be done with plants that are incurable. Such diseases include tuber galls, mosaic virus, micaosis, fusariosis.
Georgin reproduction occurs in two ways.
Division of cornflower. The process takes a little time, but brings great benefits. When dividing, it is important to comply with several rules.
- Each share should be the kidney and root neck. As a result, during the division, there will be several rally, and from each will grow flower.
- Perform division when the sprouts have already grown at 7-9 cm.
- Cut the tubers with a sharp knife treated with alcohol or formalin so that there is no infection.
- Do not cut the root across, do it away from the sprouts.
- Cuts Process Coal or Fundazole.
Reproduction with cuttings looks like this.
- To germinate, put the Cornkluben half into any container so that the root is in the ground, and the kidney with the neck – above the surface.
- In order for the cuttings to grow faster, provide plants additional artificial lighting.
- Earth must be humus.
- The air temperature before the appearance of sprouts should be within 20-22 degrees. After that, reduce it to 15-17 degrees.
- Water the land until the appearance of sprouts is abundantly, then cutting watering.
- After 2-3 weeks, the stalk will begin to grow. When it is in a height of 10-15 cm, cut it between two kidneys.
- Stornok plant in the soil or put in a glass with water before the formation of roots.
Examples in landscape design
The appearance of Georgins is infinitely diverse. These plants look good in group compositions, framing borders, focus on a flower bed. Low grades look beautifully on balconies, balconies and pots.
Experienced flowerflowers can be able to skillfully combine in the Klumba dahlias of different varieties, but you can contact the designer.
We offer to familiarize yourself with several options for using dahlias in landscape design.
- Little varieties are suitable for gardening arrays. Some are indispensable as part of a mixboarder – this is a composition of different colors in color and height.
- Several low-speed dahlias will decorate the alpine hill or rocque. They will make them especially bright and spectacular.
- Georgina is perfectly combined with cultures that have the same agricultural characteristics. Most often they are combined with recliny and gibby.
- Georgina Singing with different colors – these are natural perennials, and plants such as gladiolus or lion’s call, and decorative cereals.
- Anemone-shaped dahlias look good with flowers of an unusual shape – Zopnik and Monary.
- Decorative and mixed dahlias are often associated with a rustic flower bed. Malva and Pelargonium are well combined with them.
- Cactus and half-passed dahlias look especially exquisitely and in any flower garden will stand out. They look good on the background of small colors.
- Anemonovoid grades also love dominance against a partner in Klumba. They combine plants with beautiful foliage and decorative cereals.
Beautiful dahlias are undemanding in care and diverse in forms and shades. For each flower, there is a flower, which perfectly fit into the landscape of the garden and will delight with its bloom until late autumn.
About how to care and grow dahlia, look in the video.