- The best manufacturers of bindings for snowboarding
- Types of Bindings for Snowboards. Which model to choose?
- Advantages Inexpensive; Robust design; Good maneuverability; Comfortable; Disadvantages Not suitable for performing various tricks;
- Now Bindings
- Advantages High mobility; Sharpness of control; No rigid fixation; Usability; Disadvantages The need for close monitoring of the condition; Unpredictability because of clogging of a design by snow;
- Step-in type bindings
- Advantages High mobility; Sharpness of control; No rigid fixation; Usability; Disadvantages The need for careful control of the condition; Unpredictability due to snow blocking the construction;
- Rigid bindings
- Advantages Maximum rigidity; Ideal for a variety of tricks, freestyle and freeride; Suitable for high-speed downhill runs; High stability; Disadvantages Bulky; Not the best option for the beginner; Expensive;
- The main criteria for selecting snowboard bindings?
- Size of bindings
- Binding materials
- The shape and parameters of the boom
- Highbelt and its design
- The distance between the bindings during installation
In order to protect yourself from injury and to make snowboarding as emotional and comfortable as possible, the choice of auxiliary equipment should be given the closest attention. When it comes to snowboard bindings they are key to keeping your board stable and maneuvering down the mountain with confidence, and most importantly, safely.
- The best manufacturers of snowboard bindings
- Bindings for snowboards
- The main criteria for snowboard bindings
The best manufacturers of bindings for snowboarding
Traditionally, the best bindings are considered to be made by the leading manufacturers of snowboards and equipment for him:
- Never Summer
- b Tech
Experienced riders are advised to choose mounts the same company that manufactured the board itself. Before giving preference to a particular model, you should study the characteristics and the main technical points, as well as feedback from specific users who know firsthand the strengths and weaknesses of the device. Only then will the actual performance fully meet expectations.
Types of Bindings for Snowboards. Which model to choose?
The main purpose of snowboard bindings is to rigidly fix the rider’s shoe and transmit the force applied during the motion, to the board for subsequent control it.
The Classic Type, currently the most popular. Fixes the boot in two points, front and back. The heel is fixed in soft mounts with a rigid back piece, while the ankle piece is strapped with special straps which allow the rider to maneuver during descent.
- Robust design;
- Good maneuverability;
- Not suitable for performing various tricks;
One of the most advanced subspecies of soft bindings. The essence of it lies in the special way of installation: straps do not have a rigid fixation, and use for this purpose a special hinge element, which is characterized by mobility, regardless of the angle of installation. The Step-in design greatly improves riding precision and control and greatly increases rider mobility.
- High mobility;
- Sharpness of control;
- No rigid fixation;
- The need for close monitoring of the condition;
- Unpredictability because of clogging of a design by snow;
Step-in type bindings
The alternative to the Now bindings, which enjoys great popularity. Designed for increased mobility while riding. Is fixed by means of special latches in automatic mode: all the rider needs to do – to stand on the supporting part. Provides decent steering acuity and mobility while descending the mountain.
- High mobility;
- Sharpness of control;
- No rigid fixation;
- The need for careful control of the condition;
- Unpredictability due to snow blocking the construction;
Designed for downhill skiing, as well as for all kinds of tricks, freestyle and freeride. Two special frames are used for mounting the platform, one of which comes with a lock. Providing maximum rigidity and securely fixing the shoe.
- Maximum rigidity;
- Ideal for a variety of tricks, freestyle and freeride;
- Suitable for high-speed downhill runs;
- High stability;
- Not the best option for the beginner;
The main criteria for selecting snowboard bindings?
Size of bindings
Bindings available on the market in three different sizes – small, medium and large. To choose the specific model for your shoes. A good choice when the boot is firmly locked in the bracket, does not wobble and does not play, even with vigorous movements.
Ideal are bindings made of lightweight and stable metal or plastic. Depending on the planned budget, you should pay attention to the mountings of aluminum, titanium, fiberglass, natural carbon. Bindings of the above listed materials are approximately the same in terms of features.
The shape and parameters of the boom
Stretchbindings are binding assemblies designed to anchor the boot to the binding frame. They should have sufficient rigidity and at the same time not squeeze the leg. The modern models of harnesses are made of a special material with “memory”: they memorize the shape of the boot in the mount and contribute to quick assembly. The optimal option is the so-called multistrap – a multi-point fixation system of the shoe, eliminating the possibility of getting snow under it and not allowing the shoe to move during the ride;
Highbelt and its design
Highback is the back wall of the binding that has the ability to adjust the angle of the boot. The angle is adjusted with a special washer that allows setting both positive and negative angles if necessary. Optimal for the novice rider are angles of 18 and 9 degrees for the front and back foot, respectively;
The distance between the bindings during installation
It is impossible to give exact figures, but the general rule is the following: the higher is the rider’s height, the greater should be the distance. Otherwise, operating a snowboard will be fraught with loss of balance and constant falls. Decrease the distance between bindings can only grow with the skill of the snowboarder.
In the following articles our experts tell you how to choose shoes for snowboarding and the secrets of choosing a jacket for snowboarding.