- How to choose a robot vacuum cleaner for your home and apartment: what to look for
- Cleaning method
- Vacuum cleaning robots for dry vacuuming
- Vacuum cleaning robots for wet cleaning
- Vacuum cleaning robots for dry and wet cleaning
- Which robot vacuum cleaner to choose
- Robot vacuum cleaner selection parameters
- Cleaning area
- Cleaning brushes
- Volume and type of the dustbin
- Battery type
- Ni-Mh batteries
- -Ion batteries
- Extra Features
- Overcoming obstacles function
- Speed of movement
- Cleaning time
- Soft Touch Mode
- scheduled cleaning
- Suction power
- filtration system
- How much do robot vacuum cleaners cost
- The best manufacturers of robot vacuum cleaners
- Video on choosing a robot vacuum cleaner
Despite the high cost of such devices, when choosing a robot vacuum cleaner, you should pay attention not to the price, but to the performance characteristics. Budget models may well be just plain useless.
- What to look for when buying
- The main criteria for choosing a robot vacuum cleaner
- Additional features
- How much do robot vacuums cost
- The best manufacturers of robot vacuum cleaners
- Video on choosing a robot-vacuum cleaner
Recommended to read an article from an expert on the main criteria for choosing a vacuum cleaner for the home.
How to choose a robot vacuum cleaner for your home and apartment: what to look for
When choosing a robot vacuum cleaner, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- Cleaning method;
- Cleaning area;
- Type of cleaning brushes;
- The volume and type of garbage collector;
- Additional parameters.
- The manufacturer is also important.
Like conventional vacuum cleaners, robot vacuum cleaners are divided into three types:
- For dry cleaning;
- For wet cleaning;
- For dry and wet cleaning.
Vacuum cleaning robots for dry vacuuming
The most classic, inexpensive robot vacuums. They simply remove dust from a variety of floor coverings – which is enough for most users.
- Relatively low price and a wide range of models;
- Suitable for cleaning a variety of floor surfaces – laminate, parquet, carpeting and full carpets with short pile.
- They remove only dust and non-small debris, serious dirt will have to clean up on their own;
- You do need to occasionally mop the floors yourself.
Vacuum cleaning robots for wet cleaning
The design of such vacuum cleaners includes two containers – for clean and already dirty water – and a sprayer that applies moisture to the flooring. Therefore, when they work, they perform a full-fledged cleaning.
- Suitable for cleaning hard floor coverings (laminate, parquet, etc.).d.);
- Remove not only dust, but larger scale dirt.
- Not suitable for cleaning carpets or rugs, as they do not fully suck up sprayed moisture;
- Work on a small area due to the small volume of containers.
- Work only with purified water, otherwise the internal communications can get clogged;
- Require constant maintenance (changing the water in the tanks);
Vacuum cleaning robots for dry and wet cleaning
These are versatile devices that are suitable for both everyday cleaning and maintaining cleanliness, and are compatible with all types of floor coverings.
- Cleans dust as well as more serious dirt;
- Suitable for maintaining cleanliness and everyday cleaning;
- Suitable for cleaning hard and soft floor coverings;
- The water in the containers needs to be changed regularly;
- Such robotic vacuum cleaners – a device for full automatic cleaning of the apartment and home;
- Due to small volume of water tanks, small rooms are maintained.
- Requires the programming and creation of a map of the room (so the robot vacuum cleaner accidentally did not fill the carpet);
Which robot vacuum cleaner to choose
If your house doesn’t have hard floors, a wet robot vacuum cleaner would be perfect. However, it does require a periodic water change.
To clean rooms with soft flooring robot vacuum cleaner for dry cleaning. For apartments with mixed flooring – for dry and wet cleaning.
But if you want full automation and minimal maintenance, it is worth buying a model for dry cleaning. It is enough to clean it once a week. Models with water tanks will need to be serviced daily.
Robot vacuum cleaner selection parameters
When choosing a robot vacuum cleaner, you should consider its following operating parameters and technical characteristics:
- Cleaning area;
- Type and number of cleaning brushes;
- Volume and type of garbage can;
- Type of battery;
- Additional features (overcoming obstacles function, speed, cleaning time, soft touch mode, scheduled cleaning, power, filtration system).
The cleaning area of a robot vacuum cleaner should ideally cover the entire available floor area of the apartment. But since it is very difficult to calculate it, you just need to take 10-15 square meters from the total area of the apartment, which is the amount of space occupied by cabinets and similar furnishings.
So, for an apartment of 70 square meters, a robot vacuum cleaner for 60 square meters is suitable.
It is better to take “with reserve”, because the device can move along a complex trajectory and repeatedly pass the same areas.
The vast majority of robot-type vacuum cleaners use static cleaning brushes with long pile. They are enough to clean hard and some types of soft flooring.
There are models that are equipped with long pile moving brushes. They are suitable for removing large debris.
Modern vacuum cleaners, such as the latest models from the company iRobot, are equipped with rubber scrapers. They are more efficient at removing dirt from hard and soft floor coverings with short pile than traditional brushes.
For regular cleaning of relatively clean surfaces (for example, from pet hair) will be suitable models with static brushes or rubber scrapers. If the task of a robot vacuum cleaner is to remove large debris, such as scattered grains, for example, it is worth choosing devices with movable elements.
Volume and type of the dustbin
The vast majority of today’s robot vacuum cleaners are equipped with a container dustbin. These containers are easy to clean and effectively retain dust. Bag robot vacuum cleaners are very rare and definitely not recommended for purchase.
The volume of the dustbin is a decisive factor:
- Up to 0.4 l. These robot vacuum cleaners are not highly recommended to buy – unless, of course, you plan to use them within one room or there is a willingness to clean them daily;
- From 0.4 to 0.8 l. These robots are suitable for houses and apartments larger than 80 m2.;
- More than 0.8 l. It is advisable to buy only if the house is constantly observed serious contamination of the flooring.
There are three types of batteries used in vacuuming robots – Ni-Mh (nickel-metal hydride),
Ni-Mh batteries are most often used in robotic vacuum cleaners.
- Low price;
- Long service life (batteries of this type endure 10-20% more recharge cycles than lithium batteries);
- The memory effect. It appears due to the reversible loss of capacity after a partial discharge charge;
- Loss of capacity if stored for long periods of time;
- Self-discharge up to 10% per day;
The memory effect occurs in the form of partial capacitance loss due to incomplete discharge. That is, for example, if a robot vacuum cleaner “up” from the base with a 100% battery charge, travels through the apartment and uses only 20% of the battery, then returns to recharge, the next work cycle it will be available only for this 20%.
You should periodically fully discharge and fully charge the battery to get rid of the memory effect.
Obviously, vacuum cleaners equipped with a battery of this type are better for large apartments (cleaning area of 50 square meters and more).
- The weight and volume of the battery are relatively small while maintaining a high energy density;
- High charging speed;
- There is no memory effect;
- Expensive – both the batteries themselves and the robot vacuum cleaners equipped with them;
- A pronounced aging phenomenon that manifests itself in a loss of capacity over time (with an increase in the number of recharging cycles).
- Mechanical instability; Sharp and hard impacts damage batteries, sometimes “additionally” “burning” the electronics of the device itself;
The disadvantages of lithium-ion batteries are negligible, so vacuum cleaners equipped with these batteries can be used in any environment.
Additional features determine the usability of a robot vacuum cleaner rather than its practical performance parameters. Among these features are:
- The function of overcoming obstacles;
- The speed of movement;
- Cleaning time;
- Soft Touch Mode;
- Cleaning on a schedule;
- Filtration system.
Overcoming obstacles function
The function of overcoming obstacles can be implemented in two ways. The first is the ability of the cleaner to move over the threshold. Of course, such obstacles can have a maximum height (usually not more than a few centimeters), as indicated in the description of the device.
The second implementation of the function of overcoming obstacles – the mode of operation of the vacuum cleaner, in which it independently determines the way to bypass various objects, furniture and other objects on the floor.
Purchase a robot vacuum cleaner with the function of overcoming thresholds is worth it if there are such obstacles in the house. It is worth considering the height of such barriers. If there are no thresholds in the apartment – then a vacuum cleaner with this function is simply not necessary.
Similarly, with regard to the function of overcoming obstacles in the form of independent construction of the route. Vacuum cleaners equipped with it, it is worth buying if the house is often rearranged furniture – there are movable chairs, armchairs and similar interior objects.
Speed of movement
The robot vacuum cleaner’s movement speed is one of the factors that affect the quality of cleaning. If it is too high, the device can leave debris on the floor. If, on the contrary, low – it will lead to the fact that the robot vacuum cleaner in autonomous mode can not pass the entire apartment.
The best solution would be to buy a robot vacuum cleaner with adjustable speed of movement – by programming or selecting from preset modes. This makes it possible to create maximum compatibility with the flooring you use.
Cleaning time – a parameter that also determines the quality of garbage collection. It is worth remembering that most of the batteries used in robot vacuum cleaners get hot during operation. Therefore, the ideal solution would be to buy a device that can clean at fixed intervals (for example, 10 minutes of work to pass a certain area, then a break, and again pass this area in 10 minutes).
However, robot vacuum cleaners with continuous long cleaning times can show great performance with respect to debris removal.
Soft Touch Mode
Soft touch mode is designed to protect the robot vacuum cleaner’s electronics and surrounding furniture from damage due to impact. It can be implemented in two ways – hardware and software.
- Hardware-software method means that the vacuum cleaner is equipped with proximity and position sensors, which determine the distance to the nearest obstacle and reduce the speed of its movement.
- The appliance method is simpler – rubber bumpers are placed on the body of the robot vacuum cleaner, which absorb shocks.
Vacuum cleaners equipped with proximity and position sensors have a longer service life, since they absorb shocks better and cause less damage than devices with bumpers. However, they are more expensive. And the ideal solution would be to buy a robot vacuum cleaner with both of these touch damping methods.
Scheduled cleaning is a handy feature to automate the vacuum cleaner’s work. For example, it can clean your apartment while the owner is away. The only disadvantage – you need to spend time on setting the schedule.
The suction power of robot vacuum cleaners is usually not very high – but the noise level is minimal. Similarly small and power consumption – even the top models rarely exceed 40 watts on a charge. This parameter is worth considering only if your home has old wiring.
The filtration system in almost all robot-vacuum cleaners is the same – it is multi-layer HEPA-filter. The higher the standard, the better the air ejected from the unit is cleaned. For example, robot vacuum cleaners with a HEPA H13 filter are suitable for use in apartments where people with allergies, asthma or just increased sensitivity to dust live. And the HEPA H10 is sufficient for most average users.
How much do robot vacuum cleaners cost
The cost of robot vacuum cleaners directly depends on functionality, configuration and other parameters. It starts from 10-12 thousand rubles, but the vast majority of models are in the price range of 25-35 thousand rubles.
However, the top models like iRobot Roomba 980 or Samsung PowerBot, can cost much more – up to 50-60 thousand rubles.
The best manufacturers of robot vacuum cleaners
The best robot-vacuum cleaners are produced by the following companies:
- iRobot, Samsung, Kärcher – belong to the premium segment, are quite expensive, but provide high quality cleaning;
anda, iClebo – produce both inexpensive and high-quality robot vacuum cleaners with good performance characteristics;
- Neato – produces some of the most expensive robot-vacuum cleaners, but the devices from this company have the greatest functionality and design that can get under the furniture.
You can also highlight the companies LG, Polaris and Philips, which produce mid-range devices.