The operating systems available on the market are for a variety of purposes and serve best in certain areas.
Which operating system is best for your computer, notebook, and games?
There are dozens of operating systems on the market. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. But, nevertheless, they are not interchangeable. Choosing from a number of operating systems, it is worth stopping at the most popular:
- Windows 7;
- Windows 10;
- Ubuntu and Kubuntu;
- Elementary OS and other “light” distributions
- Remix OS.
It is the most popular and familiar to most users operating system. Its classic windowed interface, familiar start menu and ease of use make it the most popular choice for “regular” PC owners.
- Familiar interface and use cases;
- Low requirements for technical characteristics of the computer;
- Possibility of deep customization due to theme engine support;
- Wide compatibility with third-party software, such as drivers for “exotic” devices;
- Lack of fast distribution of updates, including security updates;
- The presence of security vulnerabilities;
- The need for regular reinstallation due to performance degradation due to system “clogging”;
- Poorly developed update system (due to what the installation of updates takes too long and not always complete successfully);
- Lack of compatibility with the latest graphics technologies (such as DirectX 12) and hardware solutions (such as Intel Coffee Lake processors or USB 3.0 at kernel level).
Windows 10 has a new update mechanic. That’s why there is no separate “10” – just different versions. For example, as of early September 2017, the current version of Windows 10 is 1703 (Creators Update), and the Fall Creators Update is coming out very soon. Global updates, which update everything – both the interface and the kernel – come out about twice a year.
This operating system is the most up-to-date. It has support for all necessary security, hardware interaction and control technologies. But with some restrictions.
- Regular security updates, built-in antivirus, and SmartScreen cross-program screen for maximum security;
- Perfectly working cloud backup mechanism for data and applications through Microsoft accounts, Outlook and OneDrive.
- Support for the latest hardware interaction technologies, including DirectX 12 for the most “fresh” games;
- Background loading and installation of updates;
- Distribution of driver updates via Windows Update;
- Unaccustomed to some users interface;
- Updated sleep mode, which is poorly compatible with older laptops.
- The impossibility of detailed configuration of the computer “for themselves” for most users (for example, to disable built-in antivirus or update system is very difficult – it will have to do through the editors of group policy and the registry);
- Availability of both Modern- and desktop applications;
- Built-in telemetry, which not only collects information about the user, but also slows down the computer;
So, Windows 10 is a good solution for modern computers, gaming, working on the Internet and with the cloud.
By the way, there is an edition of Windows 10 LTSB which disables telemetry and removes some pre-installed Modern applications. It has better performance. But security and driver updates, as well as global updates, come to it with a long delay.
Ubuntu and Kubuntu
Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the most popular of the alternative operating systems based on
Ubuntu and Kubuntu operating systems – good solution for undemanding users.
- Completely free;
- Great for programming and building mobile operating systems;
- Undemanding to “iron”;
- Takes up minimal space on your hard drive;
- Well protected (viruses are almost non-existent);
- Regularly updated;
- Unsuitable to run most Windows applications (except via emulators, but this leads to loss of functionality. Moreover, many programs through emulators simply do not work);
- Have a non-standard interface and mechanics of interaction with the user;
- Require a high level of computer literacy to install software;
- Many devices simply do not have compatible drivers;
- Not suitable for gaming;
It is optimal to install such an operating system on a computer for parents or relatives who just use the Internet and nothing more. Protection against malware is then guaranteed.
Also, due to the free-of-charge, these operating systems can be used in public and commercial organizations without the need for separate licensing.
They are also suitable for most users who are undemanding in terms of functionality or design.
The macOS operating system is proprietary (that is, copyrighted and closed to development by third parties), produced by Apple for Mac computers and MacBook laptops. However, with sufficient IT literacy and appropriate hardware, it can be installed on a standard PC.
- Unique user experience;
- Maximum security;
- Excellent syncing system with the cloud and Apple mobile devices;
- Availability of many useful to users exclusive programs;
- Suitable for the development and signing of applications for iOS;
- Great optimization;
- Closed, which manifests itself in the complexity of installation on your PC;
- Extremely limited number of games;
- Unusual usage scenarios;
- Incompatibility with Windows applications;
It is worth installing macOS only if you really need it. Well, or just want to experiment and have a lot of free time. Still, the easiest and best way to get a macOS computer is to buy an Apple computer.
Elementary OS and other “lightened” distributions
An important advantage of “lightweight” distributions
Remix OS is a special version of Android for computers. Unlike Android x86, it supports multi-window mode, has a similar interface and user experience to Windows. Primarily a mobile operating system, Remix OS is able to run on weak computers, those with a less powerful processor and 2 GB of RAM.
- All the advantages of the mobile operating system Android (great notifications management system, the ability to install social networking clients and web portals, Play Market support, support for rooting, Xposed and Magisk);
- Nice and intuitive interface.
- Completely free;
- All the disadvantages of Android (low security, high resource consumption, lack of support for desktop applications);
- Remix OS is an operating system for enthusiasts. It is not well suited for everyday use, but offers an unusual user experience and advanced features.
- Incomplete russification and input problems with the russian keyboard.
- Lack of drivers for many devices;
In fact, the operating system Windows 10 is ideal for the vast majority of users. Its interface is not too different from “seven”, and thanks to constant updates it is well protected against vinlockers and other dangerous viruses. The LTSB edition is the most recommended to install, because it removes telemetry services and some junk Metro applications.
If the freeness of the operating system is crucial, then it is worth paying attention to easy to use distributions
“Seven” is an outdated operating system, and it will suit only those users who simply do not want to retrain to the new.
And the rest are for enthusiasts.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose a card reader for your computer and laptop, and the secrets of choosing a reliable flash drive – an overview of the best manufacturers.