Skin has its own elastic limits. During pregnancy, these limits are violated, and reddish or purple stretch marks are formed. Over time, the color fades, but the scars remain. The appearance of stretch marks can be prevented with special cosmetics.
- The cream’s composition
- Period of use
- What else you should know about anti-stripe cream
What to pay attention to when buying anti-stretch marks cream
The best creams for stretch marks – products with a high level of hydration. They should easily penetrate the skin and nourish it to maintain its natural elasticity even under extreme conditions. It reduces the likelihood of stretch marks.
The cream should contain compounds that moisturize the skin, improve cell metabolism and increase elasticity. Preferably, it should include:
- Natural Oils. Moisturizes the skin, stimulates cell regeneration, increases metabolism. These can be almond and argan oils, jojoba oil, wheat germ oil, avocado, cocoa, shea butter, soybean oil and olive oil.
- Vitamin E and C. Help the body to produce collagen.
- Glycolic acid. It improves collagen production, reduces stretch marks.
- Lanolin. Easily penetrates the skin, impregnating the top layer of the epidermis and reducing moisture evaporation.
- Coenzyme Q10. Improves the elasticity of the upper layers of the epidermis and the functioning of cells.
- Elastin and collagen. Renew the skin, increase its elasticity.
- Amino acids. Help repair skin tissue by being the “building blocks” of elastin and collagen.
The cream should not contain:
- Retinoids – analogues of vitamin A (e.g., Tretinoin and Adapalene). They should not be used while carrying a baby or breastfeeding. Retinoids may cause birth defects in the fetus.
- Synthetic substances (parabens, toluene, mineral oils, fragrances, sulfates and petroleum products). These substances can have adverse effects on the baby’s health.
Period of application
Stria products can be used during the prenatal period, usually from the second or third month of pregnancy, and in the postpartum period. Some creams are suitable for both pregnant women and nursing mothers.
Prenatal cream application is usually aimed at reducing the stretching of the skin. Postpartum masks and reduces stretch marks, tightens skin.
Only use for the specific length of time mentioned in the instructions.
The risk of allergies when using the cream should be minimal. So choose products labeled “hypoallergenic”. But even so, they can cause discomfort. The cause of the problem could be an individual intolerance of one of the components of the cream.
Before buying the cream, use a sample and do a “sensitivity test. Put a drop of the product on a crease of the elbow and wait. If there are no allergic reactions, you can buy the product.
What else you should know about anti-stretch marks cream
- Don’t believe any bright advertising slogans. No tool guarantees 100% getting rid of stale stretch marks. It can only reduce their size and prevent the formation of new ones.
- Treat all problem parts of the body: chest, abdomen, thighs, buttocks.
- Buy products that are marked “prenatal. Conventional anti-stretch marks creams often contain retinoids, and they are dangerous for the fetus.
- Some products have a strong and persistent smell, which can be irritating during pregnancy. As a result, the product is sent to the trash. So choose products with a mild or neutral scent.
In the next article, our experts will tell you how to choose the right breast pump.