- Best manufacturers of scooters
- Working Principle and Types of Scooters
- Compact scooters (up to 50 cc. See.)
- Advantages Suitable for beginners and teenagers; Maneuverability; Minimum fuel consumption; Unpretentious in operation; Compact size; Disadvantages Speed is limited to the 40-50 kilometers per hour mark; Difficult to carry passengers and luggage; Small tank volume; Small engine life;
- Mid-sized scooter models (50cc to 250cc models); 5. See.)
- Advantages Sufficient power for most operating conditions; Acceptable fuel consumption; Allow you to organize long trips; Can carry a passenger; Intelligent brakes; Good acceleration dynamics; Presence of ABS, cruise control and other modern systems inherent in motorcycles; Disadvantages Require a Category A driver’s license; Require skilled maintenance; Expensive; Not suitable for children and teenagers;
- Full-size scooters (up to 500cc. see.)
- Advantages High power; Excellent low and high beam; Maneuverability; Can carry a passenger; Availability of all necessary systems; Strength and reliability of construction; Disadvantages Requires good motorcycle driving skills; In case of a breakdown, the repair will cost a lot of money; Consume a lot of fuel; Expensive; Can only be operated with an A-category driver’s license;
- Options for choosing a scooter for everyday use
- Engine capacity
- Engine principle
- Engine power and maximum speed
- Number of seats
- Fuel consumption and fuel tank capacity
- The cooling system
- Fuel principle
- Type of transmission installed
- Type of brake system installed
- Features of the choice of Chinese scooter
Scooter is a substitute for your own car and public transport. It can resist traffic jams, the device consumes minimal fuel, does not require a separate packing space and is suitable for use in everyday city conditions.
- The best scooter manufacturers
- Types of scooters
- Scooter Selection Parameters
- Peculiarities of choosing a Chinese scooter
In the following article, we tell you how to choose a scooter for a beginner and not reduce the risk of injury.
Best manufacturers of scooters
The most preferable to buy scooters are those manufacturers who have proven themselves in the car and motorcycle market:
Widespread and all kinds of Chinese scooters. With good ekplutatsionnyh characteristics, such models have a reasonable price, and therefore the popularity of such devices is logical. Before choosing a Chinese scooter, you should study the reviews and operating experience of owners of similar models, as well as typical “sore spots” and nodes prone to breakdown. You can do it on the Internet, on thematic forums and social networks.
Working Principle and Types of Scooters
Modern scooter is structurally similar to a moped, but differs from it by elaborate ergonomics and ease of sitting behind the wheel. The scooter is also equipped with an internal combustion engine, transmission and braking system, there are lights and those nodes that are necessary when driving on the roads.
Under the general term “scooter” there are a great many models.
Compact scooters (up to 50 cc. See.)
Miniature models that are full-fledged bicycle substitutes. Compact weight, simple design, unpretentious operation. On sale models differ in design, stuffing and performance. Require a Class M driver’s license. The license is issued from 16 years old.
- Suitable for beginners and teenagers;
- Minimum fuel consumption;
- Unpretentious in operation;
- Compact size;
- Speed is limited to the 40-50 kilometers per hour mark;
- Difficult to carry passengers and luggage;
- Small tank volume;
- Small engine life;
Mid-sized scooter models (50cc to 250cc models); 5. See.)
Powerful devices with engine capacity ranging from 50 to 250 cubic centimeters. Requires a Category A driver’s license and can quickly accelerate to speeds of 90-120 kilometers per hour. Functionality is close to motorcycles.
- Sufficient power for most operating conditions;
- Acceptable fuel consumption;
- Allow you to organize long trips;
- Can carry a passenger;
- Intelligent brakes;
- Good acceleration dynamics;
- Presence of ABS, cruise control and other modern systems inherent in motorcycles;
- Require a Category A driver’s license;
- Require skilled maintenance;
- Not suitable for children and teenagers;
Full-size scooters (up to 500cc. see.)
Models equipped with engines over 250 cc. They are a full-fledged analogue of modern motorcycles, equipped with modern auxiliary mechanisms, capable of speeds up to 200 kilometers per hour. Sturdy and robust in construction, but also quite compact and maneuverable in city traffic.
- High power;
- Excellent low and high beam;
- Can carry a passenger;
- Availability of all necessary systems;
- Strength and reliability of construction;
- Requires good motorcycle driving skills;
- In case of a breakdown, the repair will cost a lot of money;
- Consume a lot of fuel;
- Can only be operated with an A-category driver’s license;
Options for choosing a scooter for everyday use
Regardless of what type the chosen model belongs to, the criteria for the correct purchase in many situations are similar.
The most important parameter that affects acceleration dynamics, engine life, and fuel consumption.
- Compact models up to 50 cc are a great alternative to a bicycle for everyday use, and a great gift for children and adolescents. Also, these models do not require a license;
- If you will ride alone with a passenger, you should prefer a more powerful model, the order of 125-150 cubic centimeters;
- For those who wish to get maximum emotion and know how to handle with mototechkoy, the optimal scooter will be more than 200 “cubic meters;
Two-stroke engines– The easiest to operate and maintain. The principle of mixture formation in them is divided into two stages. Undemanding devices suitable for countryside use. These models almost always do not have a dedicated lubrication system and require adding special oil to the fuel tank in certain proportions.
Four-stroke enginesare more complicated in the constructional plan and require more careful maintenance. Similar in operation to regular automobile engines, requiring a separate lubrication system. They run quieter and smoother, the exhaust is more environmentally friendly, and fuel consumption is several times lower.
Engine power and maximum speed
Parameter, inextricably linked to engine displacement. The higher the horsepower, the more dynamic and speedy the scooter is.
- As the vehicle for children and adolescents is best suited scooter with an engine capacity from 3 to 8-10 horsepower, capable of 40-50 kilometers per hour;
- Daily use would require the purchase of a more powerful scooter. Optimal is a model with an engine from 5 to 15 horsepower, which accelerates to 80-90 kilometers per hour;
- For active recreation, high-speed riding and frequent travel between cities will need a model with an engine capacity of up to 40-50 “horses”, surpassing the mark of 150-180 km / h. Such devices require certain skills and ability to handle two-wheeled equipment, because they are almost as good as sports motorcycles.
Number of seats
Choosing a scooter, it is necessary to take into account the number of seats and compare it with the fact whether there will be passengers or the movement will be carried out alone. Remember also that compact low-power models are not designed to carry passengers – the comfort of travel for two will be minimal, and the average speed will not exceed the mark of 15-20 kilometers per hour. On the contrary, powerful models quite allow a comfortable trip with a partner, but require special skills to manage such a device.
Fuel consumption and fuel tank capacity
An important parameter, which directly affects the range, as well as how often you will visit the gas station. The dependence is simple: the higher the engine power, the higher the flow rate.
- Compact urban models with an engine up to 50 “cubic meters” consume no more than 1 liter per 100 kilometers;
- Models with engines with a displacement of 50 to 250 cubic centimeters “eat” more. Their consumption can reach the mark of 3-4 liters per hundred kilometers;
- Powerful highway scooters with engines up to half a liter consume up to 6-8 liters per “hundredth. This kind of power consumption is the price you pay for high dynamics and high acceleration;
- Many manufacturers practice a formula for linking fuel consumption to the volume of the fuel tank, taking as a benchmark figure of 500 kilometers of journey. For this reason on the market you can find models with a tank that holds from 5 to 20 liters of fuel.
The cooling system
Air systeminstalled on the simplest models of scooters, it does not assume intensive operation and long rides at maximum speed.
Water systemHas more power and provides efficient heat dissipation from the motor. Powerful scooters are equipped with it. Antifreeze is used as the working fluid.
- Carburetor scooters– the most budget models. Fuel is supplied by a special device. It is not always stable and its functionality depends on many different factors;
- Injector systemmore fail-safe and ensures proper mixture formation. As a consequence, the draught increases, the dynamics and quality of the engine is improved, regardless of the operating conditions. Injectors are put on models of middle and upper price range.
Type of transmission installed
Semi-automatic gearbox allows you to clearly regulate the speed and speed of the engine, switching mode with a special foot pedal. Unlike “mechanics”, there is no clutch here, and its functions are entrusted to a special control unit.
Variator, or the so-called continuously variable transmission – is gaining in popularity in recent years. The principle of its work is the presence of a cone-shaped sleeve, on which moves a strong poly-clamp belt. Changing its position relative to the wide part, changes the gear ratio and, consequently, the speed.
Type of brake system installed
Responsible for how quickly the scooter will stop during an emergency.
- Mechanical brakes. Similar to those on sport bikes. The brake disc is compressed by the shoes, which are set in motion by means of a cable mechanism and grips that can be squeezed by hand. The simplest system installed on budget models and low-power scooters;
- Drum algorithm. Brakes are half-circular pads rubbing against a drum. The fact that the pads are inside provides protection from precipitation and debris;
- Disk hydraulic system. As with the mechanical algorithm, braking is performed by the pads rubbing against a special brake disc, but the drive here is not manual, but hydraulic. It is considered the most functional and provides a quick stop at any speed;
Features of the choice of Chinese scooter
Practice shows that the country of origin of a particular scooter model plays a secondary role. Attention should be paid to the overall quality of the assembly and materials used, as well as technical solutions and their implementation, comparing the information obtained and the cost of the device. For example, if the scooter has a powerful engine of 30-40 horsepower, as well as mechanical brakes, it is better to refuse to buy such a model because of the high risk of not stopping in time.
Choosing a Chinese mid-priced scooter, you should pay attention to the availability of the following options:
- Engine 20-25 horsepower;
- Four-stroke design and injector injection;
- Variator transmission;
- Drum or hydraulic disc brakes;
- Excellent light headlights;
- Comfortable fit;
- The tank volume is 10-15 liters;