Furniture loops are one of the most important elements of the fittings, since it is largely the practicality and durability of furniture modules and their aesthetics depend on them. The choice of these products should be given to a separate attention, since manufacturers produce different types of loops and each model has its purpose. In our review we will try to talk about the most common varieties of hinges, the features of their structure, destination, give advice on choosing and installing.
What it is?
Loops for furniture are a device that the door design flaps are fixed to the facade of the furniture unit. Different types of loops can perform a variety of functions – There are simple models, the tasks of which are reduced to maintaining opening, and there are models with a closer, they are needed for smooth closing without a sharp knock. Nowadays, four-starries received the most distribution when installing doors. They are characterized by ease of installation, durability and practicality, can serve for a long time even with intensive use.
The design of any loop involves the presence of a cup, planks, as well as shoulder. Directly to the hinge sash is attached to a cup, and with the help of the plank it is fixed on the furniture frame. In most cases, screws or screws or screws are used for installation. The shoulder is attached between the bar and the cup, respectively, takes on the role of the link. All design details are connected using a four-stroke mechanism.
Review of species
Door accessories can have different structural features depending on the option of fixing the sash and structural features of the product itself. You can find secret, hidden, as well as mortise and autooler loops. Products are end, strengthened or decorative. Buyers are offered hinges for the fibelane, for folding modules, products on springs and without, as well as transformers. To find the optimal model, you need to get acquainted with the main technical and operational parameters of each type.
By way of fixing the door and device
Consider more major varieties.
- Overhead and semi-roll. The loops of this type are four-starving mechanisms that have gained a lot of distribution among users. Usually they are mounted on cabinets with hanging sash. The characteristic feature was high strength, so the devices without special difficulties are attached both on sash compact designs and on the doors of volumetric furniture blocks. Thanks to the competently chosen hinges, the sash will open at right angle, such a solution prevents the sash to pumping and contributes to maintaining them in one position. It is visually difficult to notice the difference between the overhead and the semi-fold joints, but they are. If it is pregnant, then you can see that the shoulder of the invoice design has a rather impressive bend – such a feature allows sash in the open state to obscure only half the end of the wall facade. If we are talking about overhead loops, then the end here remains completely blocked.
That is why the semi-roll mechanisms are usually used exclusively in the closets with three doors.
- Piano. These loops visually resemble metal plates. They are attached to each other with hinges. As a rule, they are fixed in such a way that one edge of the sash is completely blocked. With visual inspection, they sometimes may seem impractical, but the piano loops are capable of keeping even the most massive board. It is no coincidence that they received their name due to the fact that the massive piano lid is usually fixed. These products are often referred to as inverse because they cause the largest door disclosure. Hinges of this type are fixed both in the end of the wall and inside.
Such mechanisms were widespread during the USSR, in modern products are extremely rare.
- CARD. Their design is very similar to piano hinges, but they are more practical, because such hinges usually put not along the entire length of the flap, but only in several sites. Card loops are widely in demand when installing entrance doors, in the furniture objects they are infrequently, only in bulky structures from a wooden massif with heavy doors.
Nowadays, card hinges can see, perhaps, exclusively in the furniture of the old sample, on heavy bedside tables and all kinds of vintage chests.
- Internal. The use of such loops makes sense only when it is necessary to drown the leaf in the cabinet cloth. In this case, the opening angle of the open door does not exceed 90 degrees.
Similar structures put in foam closets or heavy doors.
- Corner. These loops are presented in two versions:
- Card – provide maximum disclosure of sash; The opening angle can be 15, 60, 135, 165 and 270 degrees, often have a negative disclosure angle, so they are rarely applied for furniture items;
- Furniture – got widespread in wardrobe rooms and compact kitchen headcases.
- Secretary. Combine card hinges, as well as an overhead type. The main difference from all other similar models – compact sizes. These loops are optimal for shutters with a horizontal type of opening.
Secret loops are not just attached to surfaces, they are crashed directly into the design.
- Andresol. Such designs are also in demand for modules with a horizontal opening. However, they have small differences with the previous type. In particular, the mechanism implies the presence of a closer and lever, so you can open the door without any difficulties to open up.
- Gallery. They are optimal in the situation when it is necessary to fasten the sash with a deaf facade.
They provide maximum disclosure.
- Lomberry. Look like mezzanine, the only difference is that in the door block they are crashed by the Cook mechanism.
- Pendulum. These hinges provide the ability to reveal the sash to 180 degrees. Structurally, they are a bit like card loops, but with the difference that only a few mechanisms on hinges are provided in them. They are fixed with each other, so the door can swing in any direction unhindered.
Such loops were not widespread, in household furnishings they are quite rare.
- Heathe. Represent one of the varieties of pendulum loops. They are mounted at the top, down and in the corners of the sash. Usually these elements are found on glass facades, as well as on thin doors of kitchen cabinets.
- Carousel. Folding hinges in the people are known as “crocodiles”. The name is explained by their non-standard species resembling a reptile mouth revealed. The model is optimal for use on any folding doors, mainly installed in kitchen headsets.
A distinctive feature of this design is reduced to the fact that one door flap is open, without overlapping another.
By Montaja method
It is worth allocating several species.
- Slide-ON. Structurally this loop looks like a collapsible device. The bar can be attached to the door separately from the main elements of the hinge, and then the lever can be fixed on it on the screws. If necessary, the user can control its location relative to the level of the plank.
- Key-Hol. This loop visually reminds the above described version, but with the difference that in the fixation zone, it resembles a small keyhole. This allows you to pull on the lever pre-screwed screw.
- CLIP-ON. The original model in which a latch is provided for clutch lever with a strip.
There are some other varieties of accessories that are produced much less. Nevertheless, they sometimes go to the set with furniture, so there should be a basic view of their operational characteristics.
- Frame. Such hinges are mostly indispensable for glass facades with a wooden frame.
- With false fastener. As a rule, for fixing four-stroke loops, it becomes necessary to form a recess by milling equipment directly in the furniture array. If, due to certain reasons, this is not possible, you can buy hinges with false fasteners. The only minus is considered the impossibility of regulating the sash without dismantling the mechanism.
- For glasses. This group includes all types of hinges used for fastening sash with a mirror or glass surface. They are overhead, as well as internal.
- Plot. Visually similar to card hinges typical. However, instead of plates, special pins are used here.
Materials and design
Furniture loops are made of various metals. The main requirement for materials becomes their ability to hold the form and not deform even with the strongest weight loads. Metal must be resistant to long-term operation. Motors made of stainless steel and brass. They are characterized by a long operational period, they are almost impossible to break. Besides, These metals are not subjected to rust and deformation. Ordinary steel is used a little less often, because under the action of moisture it is oxidized. Such models are cheaper, but have limited use, in particular, it is not recommended to install them in complexes located on the street or indoors with high humidity (kitchen, bathroom, sauna).
The following type sizes of four-stroke furniture hinges are distinguished:
- Typical – diameter is 35 mm;
- with a cup of depth 12-14 mm;
- The distance from the cup to the edge of the facade – 17-20 mm;
- The distance from the center of the cup to the lower / top edge of the facade is within 100 mm;
- distance from the cup to the sash – within 4-5 mm;
- the distance between the mounting holes is 45 mm and L52 mm;
- The distance from the mounting hole to the wall of the furniture module is 37 mm;
- width – from 60 to 75 mm;
- Product length – up to 120 mm.
How to pick up?
The correctly selected furniture fittings will become the guarantor of the long use of the furniture module, so it is necessary to pay attention not only to the price of the product, but also on its functional characteristics, namely:
- Be sure to specify the method of opening the sash and its dimensions; So the small facades need compact canopies and the opposite;
- Before buying a product, it is necessary to carefully examine the proposed loop, the presence of cracks, dents, chips and other defects are not allowed;
- Furniture accessories are necessarily subject to certification in our country, so require documents confirming compliance with sanitary and technical regulations; reliable vendors they should always be available;
- Choose only specialized stores that offer customers original goods; Qualified sales managers will help to choose the optimal model of the style and provide all the necessary information about the features of installation and maintenance of devices;
- Specify whether the closers are included – modern furniture loops are produced in two versions – with closers or not; The effect of this device is comparable to the shock absorber, it provides the most silent and smooth closing of the sash, prevents the door shocks about the end; The undoubted advantage of models with such an addition is to increase the resistance to mechanical loads, protection against oil leaking, as well as an increase in the overall service life of furniture; The loop with the closer belongs to the category of adjustable, respectively, they provide the most dense adjacent surfaces to each other;
- Measure the diameter – for thick facades, preference is better to give models in which this parameter corresponds to 45 mm, and a good solution will be the spring loop of the reverse movement; For thin suitable mini accessories.
How to fix and adjust?
For installation, the furniture loop will need the following tools:
- Pencil line;
- milling cutter;
The sequence of work includes a few steps.
- Marking. The location of the hinge is designated, from the edge of the facade you need to retreat for 10-15 cm. The removal between the canopies in this case should be at least 50 cm.
- Forming holes. The drill is formed neat holes under the holes in exact accordance with the markup. For convenience, you can put the door on a solid horizontal surface.
- Installation. The prepared hole is placed in the loop, without correcting its location regarding the elevation parameters of the furniture facade. Next, segments under the self-tapping screw are noted, a canopy is performed.
- Installation of doors. First, markup is performed, all the venues are fixed, the facade is hosted. Next, two parts of the loop must be combined with each other. This is usually done by self-reserves, spinning them, it is necessary to adjust the position of the loop relative to the locker.
- Correction of fixation. Upon completion of the installation of the facade, you need to adjust the loops in all three directions – horizontal, vertical, as well as relative to the depth of installation.
How easy and quickly installing furniture loops, you can learn from the video below.