Decorating stained glass rooms have become a long time ago – since people learned how to create glass. Previously, they were used solely when issuing church cathedrals and rich houses. First, people have learned to make simple impact patterns, then began to create whole pictures and scenes from biblical scriptures. Today, stained glass doors have become more accommodated in cost and can be seen in many interiors.
Doors with stained glass, like everyone else, divided into two groups. Entrance doors are decorated with stained-glass windows most often interiors of fashion boutiques, hotels, restaurants, clubs, museums and other public institutions. Their functional purpose in this case – to attract the attention of visitors. But interior stained glass windows fit in the design not only a fashionable mansion, but in the usual city apartment.
The variety of the last view of the doors has almost no boundaries. Manufacturing material here is used the most diverse. It can be both classic wooden or veneered doors and modern plastic partitions. They can be decorated with stained-in inserts or made entirely of glass.
To give strength the frame of such doors usually make metal, and stained glass serves as a decor element.
In addition, door with stained-glass windows can be ordinary swing and sliding – these are the most popular options in the usual apartment.
If only the owners of huge palaces could afford earlier, modern producers also took care of the owners of small-sized apartments: folding harmonica doors with stained-in inserts will fit perfectly.
How to choose?
With the development of technical progress, more advanced stained glass manufacturing techniques appear, allowing to make this type of decoration more affordable. In this regard, the choice of stained-glass windows every day is becoming more and more, so not being a specialist, it is easy to get lost in this sea of diversity. Stained-glass windows choose several criteria.
According to the technique of execution
Today, the following stained glass manufacturers are known:
- Classical technology. It is still different called “set”. Glass fragments are connected to a single composition using a metal profile. The method itself is not complicated and allows you to decorate large areas, while maintaining high quality.
- Fusing. The second is its name – “Baking”. In this case, the glass fragments are fused in special ovens at high temperatures. As a result, a highly artistic work is obtained, besides with high strength. Such stained glass windows can decorate entrance doors, as well as in the saunas and other places where there is a frequent temperature change. By this technology, you can play a picture or a photo of any complexity.
- Technology “Tiffany” It implies the creation of a composition of multicolored fragments of glasses with an exact repetition of the smallest details and shades of the pattern. In view of the fact that this technology does not imply the use of metal connecting frames, it turns out very elegant, almost air. Separate fragments are connected in this technique using foil.
- Bay stained glass. The described technique allows you to create volumetric images. The essence of it is that the relief is initially applied to the glass surface, which creates the basis of the future picture, and then each fragment is painted by hand acrylic paints.
- Sandblast. This method implies the removal of the upper layer from the working surface of the glass by the flow of sand under high air pressure. Pattern application can be made on the template or throughout the existing surface. This method allows you to get a matte pattern on a smooth surface or vice versa, the surface of the glass is specifically matured, and it turns out a smooth pattern. With this technique, you can handle the glass on both sides. In this case, you can adjust the depth of the ornament and the grain of the resulting pattern.
- Photo Photo. This technology allows you to recreate on a solid glass reproduction of the image in style of stained glass. This method is low-cost, and this is its main advantage. However, from the point of view of artistic value, this method is somewhat losing previous options, for it is not able to transfer the entire palette and the game of the paints.
- Film stained glass. In this case, the glass surface is decorated with a special color film. Today it is the cheapest and affordable method. Film in this case is not only decoration of the door leaf, but also some protection against dynamic loads. Glass, decorated in this way, more durable. Minus this method, as in the case of photoovitra, in the imperfection of the color gamut.
- Faculty. This technology is similar to the classical. The only difference is that the image is applied in several techniques. First, the top layer is removed by a special machine, then it is stamped and matured, after which they polished. Faceted stained glass can also be created using rhinestones that are glued with UV glue.
- 3D stained glass. This is the most innovative way to create images on glass. Thanks to him, the image can be viewed on both sides of the canvas, the effect of volume is visually created.
- Combined stained glass. When they are created, several different image application techniques are applied. As a result, very high-quality and realistic products are obtained, which are a real interior decoration. And since such doors are made solely by individual orders, the value of such stained glass can be very high.
- Cast. In this case, each fragment of future stained glass is created separately manually and then connected with metal parts or cement. The thickness of the glass can be from 5 mm to 3 cm. With different thickness of glass changes the angle of refraction of light, and the picture starts to “play”.
There are several design directions in which stained glass windows are performed:
- Classic. Distinctive features of classic stained-in doors is the presence of regular geometric lines, no extra elements, an abundance of light.
- Modern. This style is characterized by dominance of form above. T. E. There is a lot of attention to lines and patterns that can create a certain abstract image.
- High tech. Similar stained glass windows are performed with the use of the most advanced technologies. They, as a rule, are distinguished by an abundance of flowers, non-standard compositions. Such doors can have, for example, a metal housing and (or) mirror surface
- Eastern style. In stained glass windows decorated in this style, it is customary to use vegetable motives. Very often in this stylistic direction use images of various animals. It can be both real and fictional characters.
- Fusion. It can be described as “intelligent shock”. This direction often choose people of creative professions or those who wish to stand out from the total mass. The main rule here is to combine incompatible. It is a mixture of several styles, the neighborhood of luxury and simplicity – for example, an image on the door in the style of High-tech is concluded in a wooden frame with classic forms.
- Country. It is simplicity in everything – starting from the form of the door itself to the ornament on it. For this type of stained glass, floristic patterns are characterized. As for the material of the door itself, it must necessarily be made of wood or at least under the tree. No chromium and plastic. Everything is simple and cozy.
- Art Deco. Unlike a modest country, uncomplicated luxury and wealth takes place everywhere and in everything. Doors with stained-glass windows in this style can be made of massifs of valuable breeds, inlaid elements from rhinestone or bronze. Even one such door can turn a strict and ascetic interior into a trendy and interesting place.
Depending on which room will be installed a stained door. It is necessary to take into account not only the functional purpose of the room, but also its illumination, the area and most importantly – its size.
Examples of drawings
Stained insertion in the doorway makes the door to the center figure all over the interior and is able to transform it beyond recognition. Depending on which taste preferences at the owners, you can pick up the image for each individual case.
Some owners mistakenly believe that if the room is drawn up in such directions as, for example, ascetic high-tech, hooligan loft, the installation of doors with stained-glass windows will be inappropriate. You can make a stained glass window in any style to fit to the rest of the interior.
So, the door to the office can be made by stained glass windows with geometric shapes – the clarity of the lines adjusts the workflow. Ideal if the outline will be somewhat different from the main drawing.
The bedroom in the urban apartment can be decorated with a door with stained glass inserts depicting swans – everyone knows that they are a symbol of loyalty. Natural motifs will look good – flowers and plants. You can order a seascape designer. For decorating children’s rooms, pictures with heroes of favorite cartoons are suitable – children love to consider them.
Flowers, fruits, as well as abstract patterns will be appropriate in the kitchen. For the hallway you can use pictures of beautiful landscapes. Not excluded and strict geometry.
By the door leading to the hallway, we constitute the first impression of the house and about its owners. A sign of good taste will be any images of famous paintings or their fragments. Any geometry, antique style drawings or national ornaments will also be appropriate here.
The living room is intended to amaze guests. Here we are going to the whole family, accept friends. Therefore, this room should be especially cozy and staying to a long stay in it. There are no strict stylish restrictions on style or image.
The main and indispensable condition for the living room – the door to it must be withstanding strictly in the stylist in which the rest of the interior of the room.
If the living room is withstanding, for example, in a Scandinavian or oriental style, the stained glass will be appropriate to portray vegetation. If there are elements of high abstraction in the design, there will be a certain abstraction. For the door of the living room in the style of Baroque it is worth thinking over the elements of painting in the same style.
Beautiful ideas in the modern interior
Stained glass decorated not only interior doors. Colored glasses can be inserted into the doors of furniture cabinets. For example, you can decorate the kitchen door of the cabinets in the stained glass décor – he add airiness and verbost. Alternatively, you can pick up a single ornament that would have echoed with a pattern on the interior door.
In the wardrobe systems, the doors of the type of compartment are often installed. It can be both separate glass inserts and a whole piece of glass with drawing applied to it. In view of the complexity of manufacturing such products, their cost is quite high and they are almost never found in mass production – they are placed on custom-made sketches.
The most popular reception in all designers is to put portable or sliding partitions to separate one functional zone from another. Especially relevant in apartments with free layout and where the kitchen is merged with the living room. If the desire or the ability to install whatever the door is not, you can simply make an army in the doorway and decorate it with stained glass windows.
In this video, you will see the process of creating a stained glass for doors.