Restoration of the door is the inevitability from which sooner or later will have to face during operation. Even eternal metal, whatever qualitative and durable, not to mention the finishing materials that suffer primarily. The entrance door is worn much faster than interroom.
Due to the massiveness of the door and its daily operation, as well as severe natural conditions, its appearance, finishing and fittings are very strong. Subject to change and quality of its operation.
Due to the wear of the street, domestic or entrance door, its basic tasks are lost:
- thermal insulation of the room;
- decorative purpose;
- Protection against malicemen.
If the door has shied, he rusted or lost its appearance, all these factors are a reason for urgent action. Not necessarily to replace the door to the new. It can be renovated with her own hands. Repair may need both the outer and the inner side of the door.
First of all, when restoration of the entrance door is required to spend thorough preparation. It is necessary to carefully inspect the door and understand how serious the repair is needed, and what changes have undergone your door.
Types of faults:
- breakdown loops, lock or handles;
- trim damage;
- Damage to the door leaf.
Repair suggests the following actions:
- Replacing accessories and castle;
- restoration of the decor;
- Repair of the canvas in general.
How to renovate outside?
Removal of corrosion from the iron door can be performed as follows. First, dismantling the lock and door handle. Removes skin – laminate, leather, wooden panels, MDF and other. If the door is painted, the paint layer also need to be removed.
Check the surface for corrosion and delete it:
- Solvent, primer (primer), paint and roller will be required.
- Remove corrosion can be removed with a metal brush or large emery paper. If there is a grinding machine, then for it it is necessary to apply emery circles abrasiveness 60-100 grit. It is necessary to process not only the place affected by rust, but also adjacent area.
- Then the treated surface is carefully passed by sandpaper smaller abrasivity, irregularities and scratches are removed.
- After which the surface is degreased and dried.
- If there are large damage and deep scratches on the door of the door, then they must be filled with putty. It is best for these purposes a car. Filling damage to putty, it is important not to pass large pores and cracks. After that, the product is carefully dried and grouhed again. If the spacion layer is not succeeding enough, then after painting at the slightest temperature changes, the paintwork crackles.
- Then the whole surface is grounded into one layer. Next, the first layer of paint is applied, dried and, if there are shortcomings and lower, then they are eliminated by sandpaper. And in conclusion, the entire surface is scratched with the finish layer of paint. At the end of the work, all fittings are installed back.
For such paints, nitroemali-based paints are most often used. But Much stronger and durable powder paints. They are able to extend the life of the external coating of the door. Powder-based paints have high temperature stability, which is especially suitable for outdoor painting.
If individual panels were injured, they need to be dismantled, and the surface is thoroughly cleaned for installing new. You only need to choose the suitable panels suitable and screw them with self-stores in the grooves.
Sometimes you need a full replacement of the facing layer. At the same time, the remains of the previous decor are initially removed from the door and the surface is thoroughly eased. In some cases, the repair of the door is not required, only to update the coating.
Successful examples and options
With a complete substitution, there are several restoration options.
You can apply to the surface of the thermal door. In European countries, this non-standard decoration has been widespread. Thermal blinds are a completely new direction in design and designer, it is perfect for updating the door leaf.
Upholstery of artificial leather
This option is not very expensive and very spectacular by external parameters. Thanks to the rich assortment of color solutions presented in the market, this method is in great demand. Artificial leather withstands temperature differences, resistant to sunlight and moisture. BUT The use of soft fillers significantly increases noise insulation and maintains heat. The only minus of such a finish is low strength and briefness. As a filler is used mainly, foam rubber, felt or syntheps.
The first stage we prepare the door and cut the strip to create a framing cord that will go around the perimeter of the canvas. In the stripes we lay round insulation, fold in half and stuff them around the perimeter, retreating from the edge of 10 mm. Between rollers you need to position the insulation. If the door is metallic, then it is necessary to put it on glue. Next, the leaks of dermatitin suitable size is located between the rollers, with the bend of each edge inside. The material is stretched and fixed with brackets.
You can decorate such a door with a decorative cord and carnations with bulk caps.
After the upholstery on the door, all removed or new fittings, castle, eyes, hinges are installed.
Facing wooden slats
Undoubtedly, this method of restoration will give your door aesthetic appearance and increase noise- and thermal insulation. Wooden rails or lining need to be treated with sandpaper, soak in a verse or lacquer. Varnish can pick up any color, it all depends on your imagination. It can be a shade of mahogany or wenge. In addition, varnishes exist matte and glossy.
Processed rails should be fill on the door with small brackets, or glue on the glue for wood. Lay the rails you can vertically, horizontally, or in the form of your chosen ornament. Also, they can be postponed as a geometric pattern.
Facing panels MDF
This is a very modern and practical door cladding method. This material has a wide color gamut, as well as a rich selection of textures, thanks to which the doors, trimmed by MDF, are distinguished by special beauty and elegance. This material has sufficiently high strength and durability. He is not terrible solar rays and temperature differences.
When finishing the MDF, first of all it is necessary to take care of panel cuts. Best for this is suitable for PVC profile, which is selected in color.
- First you need to dismantle the accessories and the lock, as well as fill all possible slots and holes around the door. To do this, use the mounting foam. After drying it, we cut off the excess with a knife.
- If the door is metallic, then it is necessary to process it with corrosion. Then the canvas doors must be primed if MDF will be mounted on liquid nails. In the panel itself, it is necessary to make holes under the lock.
- The door must be removed in advance with the loops to avoid distortion and lay horizontally. The panel itself is required to thoroughly wipe from the wrong side to avoid detachment.
- The first stage needs to make marking for the future location of the door eye, handles, lock. Holes drilled on the markup. Then the door height is measured and the profile is cut, which will be attached primarily. If the restored door is metallic, then the profile is glued, if a wooden, then the profile is attached to the self-tapping screw.
- Next in the profile grooves we place the first panel and fix. Then all the other panels insert one to another, in parallel screwing each self-drawing. Measuring the remaining width, you need to cut off the last panel, put the profile on it and attach to the door.
- We cut off the final stage in the width of the door of 2 pieces of the profile and put them on the ends, pre-cutting the ends at an angle of 45 degrees. So the framing will look neat and good.
The whole process is clearly shown in the following video.
Veneer is convenient because it has an adhesive opposite direction, which facilitates the repair process. Veneer strips need to be cut into the size of the canvas, attach to it and glue a hot iron. The glue has thermal properties and the polymerization process passes when heated. The edges of the veneer are bent and glued to the end, for which it is knocked down with a reserve. This method is suitable for finishing doors both with outdoor and inner side.
Another quick and convenient way of restoration of the door leaf. Polymer thermal film, covering tiles on the front side, has a rich assortment of colors and textures, its drawing allows you to imitate many artificial and natural materials, which explains the enormous popularity of the laminate when choosing a finishing material for entrance doors.
Rakes in the color of the selected laminate are pasted around the perimeter of the iron cloth. On the wooden base of the rails plant on liquid nails. Tiles are selected by the size of the door leaf and are collected in one-piece shield, then it is transferred to the main web and is also attached to liquid nails. If the tiles are attached to the door without edging speakers, then the ends are scorched to paint similar color to hide sections. Nice to pick up.
In addition to a pleasant appearance, an updated door acquires extra noise- and thermal insulation.
How to update from within?
In the restoration of the entrance doors, first of all, it is necessary to consider both the physical properties of materials and dignity and disadvantages.
All of the above finishing methods are suitable for both external and internal works.
But due to the low wear resistance, the restoration methods with laminate and leatherette are more suitable for repairing the door inside the apartment.
- Artificial leather is very susceptible to physical effects and damage to it cannot be masked, in the apartment this coating will serve much longer than outside.
- Laminate in turn is afraid of moisture. Dampness in the entrance will make your finish short-lived, and the door will quickly lose their kind and will again require restoration.
Initially, you need to worry about the completion of work. This applies to the removal of excess mounting foam and its masking. To do this, it is best to use slopes, similar to the shade and texture with a renovated surface of the door. Without properly selected breaks, the finish will not be completed.
For slopes used MDF, plastic panels, laminate, drywall and plaster.
Another important detail of the interior of doors, these are platbands. Often, platbands are complete with the rest of the materials for the design of the doorway, but In the case of restoration, you will have to choose them yourself. A wide range will allow you to buy them in color and material suitable for your door. Make them made of wood, plastic, metal, MDF and not only. Depending on the material of the platbands, the methods of their fastening are selected: this glue, mounting foam, nails.
Here are some simple and interesting methods for restoring old doors or new updates.
A rich assortment of finishing materials and your fantasy will help breathe new life in the Old door and give it the opportunity to serve you for many years.