There is a huge number of ways to decorate the door: paint processing, seaming or lamination of the canvas. These ways are very laborious and require work of professionals. Other situation with overlays on entrance doors. Lining – whole products for the decor of the door that can be performed independently. The result will pleasantly surprise you, even if you are not a professional builder or designer.
The main features of the door linings are:
- Protective function of lining (scratching and shock prevention);
- Decoration element (using such elements you can give the old door beautiful view);
- Savings (lining on the door cheaper than a new door);
- The properties of the refractory (lining are impregnated with a special composition).
You can select a huge amount of materials from which overlays are made on exterior doors. This article discusses the main types of lining on the door.
The most popular are overlays from MDF panels. It can be noted that such parts are presented in a wide range of colors and curly versions. You can always choose the appropriate option for any door. They have a number of advantages:
- strength and durability;
- guarantee heat and sound insulation;
The strength of these parts is explained by the special manufacturing technology. At the first stage, the fiber is strongly pressed. With the second – parts are covered with high quality films. As a result, durable products are obtained, which externally resemble wood. Due to the dense fit to the doorway, the moisture does not fall under the part.
Often, the lining from the MDF is used when finishing the inner doors, sometimes beautifully describes the combination of plastic doors and lining, imitating wood. For street metal doors, armored layers are ideal, they possess special, anti-vandal properties.
Plastic perfectly suitable for entrance doors. But it is necessary to remember when choosing such elements that only thick plastic will last you for a long time. Plastic waterproof, transfers the amplitude of temperatures, does not fade in the sun.
Overhead parts from plywood are very affected by moisture. With high humidity or water getting angles of plywood lining will be closed. Therefore it is undesirable to choose plywood elements for entrance doors.
Details of wood are often used for door decor. Wooden linings are necessarily covered with varnish or paint. They are resistant to sunshine and are not afraid of moisture.
Pretty frequent option – entrance doors with a mirror. Any hallway must have a mirror, and often output is the mounting mirror on the door. It saves space in small apartments, also visually makes the corridor more.
Together with the mirror used chrome lining. They give a special charm to the mirror and improve sound insulation.
Criterias of choice
The pad on the door decorates not only the door, but also the whole room. It seemed that now the doors and without linings are quite beautiful and have their own patterns. But there are situations where the installation of the lining is worth not only because of updating the appearance of the door:
- The old door does not please the eye, especially after repair. But the canvas itself is able to serve for many years;
- Panel facades are needed for additional thermal insulation;
- If the door is steel and visible welding seams, then the lining will fix the situation.
How to install?
In order for the pad to come to the size of the door, it is necessary to correctly and carefully remove the dimensions of the door cloth. Only after you were convinced of the size of the sizes, you can buy parts and then install them:
- Before mounting the door leaf need to be cleaned. For stripping surfaces use sandpaper and pure rag. Then you need to degrease the surface. For this we will need either white spirit, or antisilicone, or an antistatic (if the door or part is plastic).
- The first stage of the installation process of the door lining on the door – removal of the door with loops. We put the door leaf on the floor and continue to work.
- Next, applying foam throughout the perimeter. Also, the foam must be applied in the central part and the cross. After that, we press decorative linings to the canvas. Drying foam required 30-45 minutes. If necessary, after froze the foam on one side, we carry out the same actions on the installation of parts on the second side, gently turning the door leaf.
- The third stage – after the final pouring of the foam, you put the door to the vertical position for several hours, the time depends on the weight of the lining and the amount of the applied foam. On average, this time is 5-6 hours.
- The final stage of fitting is carried out by a jigsaw. It is advisable to choose and install overlays on 0.5-1 cm more on each side than the door canvas itself. Followed by holes for lock and accessories.
In the process of fastening, it is necessary not to drag the metal mounting elements. It is also necessary that hardware do not pass through the canvas. Therefore, the length of the self-samples is carefully calculated before installing.
Necessary holes need to be closer to the edge of the door, but without spoiling the appearance. For aesthetic, you can use rubber seals, they will also save from cold air and wind. Remember that the door together with the lining has become 10-12 kilograms heavier than was. It is taken into account when installing on old canopies.
There are also several tips, observing which you can make this work faster and more efficient:
- Work should be done very carefully and carefully. Only work accuracy can guarantee you a great result;
- You may not doubt that you will succeed. After all, today all the conditions have been created in order to make this work itself;
- To carry out these works, you will need a tool such as an electrolovka or milling machine along with a drill and screwdriver. If you do not have this tool, you can easily rent it;
- Remember the observance of the step when installing the screws – 20-25 cm;
- Halling caps necessarily close with decorative gasket. It is necessary for not air and moisture.
How to change?
Once by setting the panel to the old door, you do not need to think that it is forever. The average lifetime of the lining of about 12-15 years.
If this door is input, it is exposed to many influences, which reduces the resource of the lining. In addition, overlays are installed at the input doors of private houses, where frequent temperature differences, moisture and ultraviolet rays reduce the service life of 2-3 times. Therefore, the question of replacing linings with time will definitely appear.
Replace MDF lining, like others, you can do it yourself. This process is simple, but requiring accuracy:
- First, you need to decide whether you will install other overlays. It depends on how neat you will need to delete everything from the old door canvase.
- Secondly, you need to decide whether you will shoot the door with the loops. If after removing old linings follows the installation of new, then it is better to immediately remove the door with the loops. If the replacement will occur later or they will not be changed at all, then the door is better to leave in a vertical position, so as not to remove the door with the loops and not install it back.
The process itself begins with what you need to remove all the accessories and all locks. After all the hardware are removed to carefully remove the old details. It is advisable to remember how you installed these lining and in what places the screws twisted.
In the process you need to remember that When removing old panels you need to damage the door canvas itself. It is also desirable to draw or remember the location of the self-sufficiency to fix new lining to other places. The old holes from the self-tapping screws will no longer keep the panel as necessary, but on one panel can not be held.
If the door canvate is not solid, then make sure that the upper layer starts to move away from the web. Such flaws panels do not disguise.
If you replace the lining, then you can take the sizes from old linings. This is possible only in cases where there are no mechanical damage on old items. After removing the old panel, you can transfer all the locations of the holes to the new panel and make them in advance. It will significantly save your time.
When replacing panels, remember that panel thickness may vary. This is important at the moment when you buy hardware or think about replacing door fittings with new appearance.
If, after removing old linings, you made sure that the canvas is not damaged, you can start assembly. Plan of action when installing the lining is indicated above in this article.
Successful examples and options in the interior
When installing linings on the door you need to think not only about their functionality, but also about the beauty of parts. It is also necessary to think if the renewed door will join the already created before the interior. In this issue, it all depends on your personal preferences, but there are several aspects that must be taken into account.
For example, you can use powder paint. This option will allow you to perfectly pick up the color, hide scratches and hurry. Rarely, this method is used due to the complexity of the preparation and high cost of equipment.
When choosing wooden plates, it is necessary to take into account their hydrophobicity. Such linings will drastically update your door, but in any room such a door will be to the place.
For example, doors with wooden elements will look good in a scandinavian style that is characteristic of white and pastel colors. Also in this interior a separate place is given to the naturalness of the materials, so the lining of the tree is the perfect option.
Also such linings will be good in the interior, where there are a lot of wooden decor elements. In this style, as a kitsch, where often the owner experiments with combinations of materials, the tree may look extremely beneficial.
MDF lining less environmentally friendly, although imitate a tree, But indifferent to moisture and temperature drops, Therefore, it is often used not in the inner, but in the external finish of doors. In private houses, this option is very common, especially if the door is in contact with the environment. Also in homes such lining attach the effect of the doors and create the effect of a wooden door.
Plastic lining are often used in interior decoration, where less differences in temperature and humidity. Because of the huge selection of silhouettes, colors and drawings on overlays, you will always choose you like.
The process of replacing the lining with a mirror to the inlet door you will see in the next roller.