Among the many advanced solutions responsible for the safety of apartments, houses and non-residential premises, electronic locks are increasingly prominent. First of all, this is due to the reliability of such devices providing their long-lasting and trouble-free operation.
Deserves attention and impressive selection of models of electronic locks on the door, allowing you to choose the option with all the customer you are interested in features.
Design and device
To date, there are a large number of varieties of electronic locks, each of which has its own design specificity. If you select the total components for all similar devices, then their list will look like this:
- mechanism providing locking (electromagnetic or electromechanical);
- reader (highly sensitive sensor responsible for receiving a signal);
- identifier performing the key functions (card with chip, remote control, magnetic keychain and other devices defined by the edge of the installed electrotype);
- Controller (component responsible for managing the system and processing of incoming data).
In addition, the design of the electronic lock may provide compartment for batteries (batteries or simple batteries), providing uninterrupted operation of the device.
Separate attention should be paid to two types of described locks – electromagnetic and electromechanical. The design of the first provides for the presence of the main element, which protrudes the powerful electromagnet, and the auxiliary part – the metal bar with increased magnetic permeability. As for the second type of locks, their device involves the use of a shut-off riglel, connected to the drive, and the control module connected by wire.
Despite the fact that electronic locks are quite complex devices, All of them work on the basis of a simple algorithm:
- reading data from the owner identifier performed by the receiving sensor;
- transmission of received information on the controller;
- checking the correctness of the signal with the subsequent transmission of the corresponding command to the mechanism of the electrotatum;
- If the entry is true, the device opens the door (in case of incorrect data, the controller may apply an alarm signal).
The performance of any such system is provided by the power supply – the main or reserve provided for use in emergency situations. Most often the second option does not require the installation of high-capacity batteries, as the electronic locks are highly economically spent.
Another significant feature of the work of the described devices is the ability to duplicate or simultaneously use several access methods. Thus, the numerical combination can be complemented by scanning a fingerprint, and the presence of a key fob will allow you to open the door only after confirmation from a smartphone or other portable device.
Practice shows that such solutions significantly reduce the likelihood of hacking, but make a system more complex and expensive.
If the owner wants to restrict access to the room, it can use the electronic lock lock function. Activate it allows a special key that makes it impossible to trigger the device by signal from the sensor.
Another feature that many electrics can boast, is the presence of a remote control function. Often, such devices are one of the elements of the “smart home” – an automated system that provides full housing monitoring from its owner.
Pros and cons
There is a sufficient number of reasons explaining the growing popularity of electronic locks. As for the most significant advantages of these devices, they are listed below.
- Lack of standard lock wells. This feature of electronic locks significantly complicates the procedure of their hacking, requiring significant time costs from an attacker.
- The minimum probability of unauthorized opening of the lock with biometric identification. The only thing that the attacker can do with such devices is to destroy them, spending time and risking to attract attention to others.
- The possibility of equipping alarm. Any actions that have signs of hacking lead to instantaneous response of this system and reduce the likelihood of entry into the premises.
- Lack of problems caused by loss of key identifier. In such situations, it is enough to call a specialist performing reprogramming of electronic locks.
- The possibility of remote opening. This advantage allows the owner to save time and strength, which is especially noticeable at objects having a large area.
- Minimum probability of detection of electronic invisible lock. Such a device remains hidden from prying eyes, and its exact location is known only by the owner of the room.
- Aesthetic and modern appearance. Electronic lock keypad or a block with a sensor organically complements the neat and ergonomic handle.
In addition, the device under consideration may have many additional features – for example, blocking access due to unsuccessful identification or work only in the premises specified by the owner.
Given the listed advantages, it is not to be surprised that electronic locks are used to use both in offices, in warehouses and production facilities and in residential premises – apartments and private houses.
As for the shortcomings of the devices described, they also have, albeit in a relatively small number:
- the need to preserve a backup power supply;
- high sensitivity to voltage drops, which makes the use of the stabilizer;
- The tendency to breakage of individual components with long-term operation in conditions of high humidity.
And it is also worth mentioning the considerable time of time required to restore the elements of the electronic lock.
Varieties and recommendations for choosing
Talking about access limiting devices that have a “electro” root in their name, It is necessary to pay attention to the following varieties that are the most sought-after.
- Electronic locks with code or combined opening. Most of all such solutions are suitable for entrance doors into yards, apartments or entrances.
- Systems involving two types of identifiers – cards equipped with a magnetic strip, or electronic keyfobs.
- Invisible locks. Such solutions are interesting in that it does not assume the presence of a panel with buttons or data readers. Control of electronic locks of this type is carried out by a special console or portable device with wireless support.
- Biometric devices. To go to the room, the visitor needs to be successfully walking the fingerprint or retina scanning procedure.
Deciding with the most appropriate type of electronic lock, before purchasing it, it is advisable to consider some useful recommendations.
- One of the key conditions, which allows you to acquire a proper quality device, is the impeccable reputation of its manufacturer. Such castles are not suiced, but their price is justified with reliability and a decent work resource.
- To protect private households, it is justified to install systems equipped with a remote control. As a rule, in such cases the doors are very massive, which requires preliminary familiarization with the instructions for the electronic lock to know what weight it is designed. In addition, the purchased device must comply with the climate of the terrain and its other features.
- Plastic doors preferably install magnetic type systems. They do not have moving or protruding components, they work quietly and have excellent wear resistance.
- In office premises on glass doors it is worth installing devices that work using access maps.
And experts advise to consider the door canvas and the electronic lock installed, as a single whole. Thus, devices at the entrance to the room should differ from the interior doors mounted – in accordance with the tasks, to solve which they are intended.
Experience shows that the installation of an overhead electronic lock is not particularly difficult. To solve this problem, it is necessary:
- Preload the area selected for installation;
- drill mounting holes that must match the sizes of used bolts;
- make a through hole required to connect the lock case with the reading module;
- Install and securely secure the case;
- perform installation lock lock lock;
- Set the reading module.
In a situation where the owner of the premises wishes to perform the installation of mortise variety of the castle, he needs:
- Pre-remove the door (to ensure maximum convenience of further work);
- Determine the dimensions of the niche under the electronic lock;
- perform appropriate marking and cutting;
- Carefully clean the resulting hole and eliminate all the irregularities available in it;
- perform installation lock with reliable fixation.
Upon completion of the aforementioned events, the device can be connected, clearly following the instructions that are coming with it. If this task is too difficult for the artist, he should contact the specialists to prevent errors and subsequent incorrect operation of the electronic lock.
Finally, it remains to list the recommendations, Following which it allows to extend the operation of an electronic lock and achieve maximum efficiency of its use:
- To minimize the likelihood of a device failure, it is necessary to protect it from moisture from entering (as far as possible);
- If the principle of operation of the electronic lock provides for the introduction of the code, the latter should not be too simple (also when choosing it should not use personal data – due to the fact that they can be known to a potential attacker);
- If the owner wants to extend the operating resource of the castle, he should equip the door with an automatic closer;
- To reduce the likelihood of unauthorized penetration into the room, the code to the device must be changed periodically (the optimal option is 2-3 months).
Experts are not advised to neglect the regular maintenance of the electronic lock even if its work does not cause complaints. Following this recommendation, you can identify problems at an early stage, preventing them with minimal financial costs.
Summing up, it remains to state that the installation of an electronic lock on the door is a fully justified solution that ensures reliable protection of the premises due to the use of advanced technologies.
The justice of this thesis is confirmed by both professionals and ordinary users, the number of which is stably growing from the year.
Installation of the electronic lock is presented in the video below.