Cold December Days stand outside the window, and a bouquet of scarlet colors broke into the room. Say, it is impossible? Not at all. Meet the Decembrist, who received its name for flowering in the winter season, when most plants are resting.
The official name of the Decembrist – Szigocactus “Skluberger”, which he received thanks to the French collector and biologist Frederick Sklubberg, who discovered this new kind of forest cactus. Skluberger – southern resident, its main habitat – Brazilian subtropical forests. In the natural medium, the plant is in the constant shadow of large fellow in the warm wet microclimate. Hence the non-tee to direct sunlight and the minimum requirements for the mineral composition of the soil. As a representative of epiphytic, Siegocactus loves to be attached to other plants or trees.
In Brazil, you can watch an amazing spectacle when the Decembrists are fused with the trees with a multi-colored rotary carpet. At the same time, Siegocactus uses them as a support rather as a support, and all the necessary food receives with thin air roots. A pretty compact root system with subtle processes located in the upper layers of the soil, is used for easy attachment to the roots and trunks of trees.
At home, the flower feels perfectly in the usual pot of earth.
Plant is a small bush with branched stems. Flat sheets segmented, along the edges covered with small cloths (not to be confused with needles). Sheet length is usually up to 5 cm. Blossom begins in November and lasts until January. Abundant multi-tiered flowers, reach a size of 6 cm and more. In nature they are bright scarlet. Selection specimens can be different shades: from gently cream to raspberry and spectacular lilac. Life life of each flower is very short: no more than 5 days.
Recommendations for care
Siegocactus – a recognized long-liver. With proper care and watering can live up to 20 years. Although the “Cactus” root is present in the official name of the Decembrist, the flower care rules are somewhat different than behind the traditional representatives of the cactus family. Given the peculiarities of the natural growing environment, the flowers determined the basic recommendations for the care of the Christmas flower.
- The best location is eastern windows where there are no bright sunlight, but at the same time there is a soft scattered light.
- Christmas Loves Temperature Stability. At the same time, it is completely noncains, resistant to coolness: calmly lives at a temperature of +10 and + 15 °. But still the ideal for flowering will be mode + 18- + 25 °.
- In the warm season it is desirable to endure from home or open windows. Fresh air is useful than a plant.
- We can not regular spraying. In the summer – several times a week, in winter less often, enough 1-2 times a month.
- Caring for flower, it is necessary to maintain moderate humidity. You can put “Sklubbergeru” on a tray with wet moss.
- It is necessary to observe the increased frequency of irrigation in the summer. After the autumn and in December, immediately before the bootonization, reduce the flow of moisture. In the spring period, irrigating the soil as the soil.
- When forming buds and active bloom, it is better not to disturb the Siegocactus, not to change its location.
- In the spring and summer period to carry out.
The last item is very important.
What do you need feeding?
The use of fertilizers, first of all, is necessary to replenish mineral salts that are washed out of the soil when watering. By virtue of its natural epiphytic qualities, the forest cactus does not impose increased requirements for the composition of the substrate. However, like any room plant, still needs a periodic vitamin and mineral dressing for abundant and prolonged flowering.
Sometimes on the outdoor healthy decorce do not form buds. It is enough to add nutrients with potassium so that it blooms in a few weeks.
If the deficiency of minerals in the substrate is critical, then The flower will sign the following signs:
- slow growth;
- painful stems;
- Small light green leaves;
- stains and yellow on the leaves;
- Lack of colors in the autumn-winter period.
In this case, you need an urgent procedure for enriching the soil, otherwise the flower will just die.
The time of the feeding directly depends on the life cycle “Slubbergera”, these cycles are very important to take into account. The most favorable time enrichment of the soil will be a spring-summer period. And undesirable – autumn when the flower is at rest. Flowers allocate 4 basic flower conditions.
- Vegetation (March – September). The best time to feed the flower with special nitrogen-containing fertilizers for cacti, since it is nitrogen that is very necessary during the actual growth of the stem and leaves. The frequency of the procedure is not more often 1-2 times a month.
- Peace (October). During this period, it is better to stop the fertilizer of the soil and rearrange the plant into a cool place to form buds. You can leave the flower on the balcony if the temperature does not fall below 10 ° C.
- Blossom (November – January). Since November, the Decembrist is transferred to heat and begin to feed mixtures with phosphorus. When the bootonization begins, a potassium solution is added to watering. Potassium – floral kidney growth stimulator, it will help the blooming Siegocactus in the disclosure of buds.
- Secondary peace (February – March). You need to adhere to the same principles as during the autumn rest.
What and how to fertilize?
For feeding the Decembrist, you can buy ready-made fertilizers or make them yourself at home. Specialized stores for gardeners offer a wide range of various solutions. Liquid mixtures for succulents and cacti. The labels of these products always indicate the formula of the chemical composition of NPK (nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium). For room “Sklubberger” will be the ideal formula (10x6x8). Such solutions are entered into a wet earth at the rate of 100 ml per 1 liter of soil or in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations on the label.
If it is not possible to purchase ready-made mixtures, you can make a nutrient solution at home. Flowers use folk remedies for fertilizer.
- Boric acid is used mainly for extractive feeding. For this, 1 g of acid is diluted in hot water, and then added 1l cold. Spraying of siegocactus 0.1% boring mixture during flowering and bootonization helps to increase the tide of sugars to the generative organs and increases the flowering intensity. During fertilizer, direct sunlight falls so that the plant does not get a burn. For irrigation, boric acid is bred in a proportion of 1-2 grams on 10 liters of water.
- Iodine improves metabolic processes in plant tissues and is an excellent prevention of various diseases. For basic feeding it is important to strictly observe the proportions: 0.1 mg of iodine per 1 liter of water. Otherwise, the solution can burn “Slubbergeru” or paint flowers in an unpleasant yellowish color. Watering must be carried out, not hurt leaves and the root part.
- Banana is rich in potassium, phosphorus and calcium. For the preparation of the nourishing powder, the skins wash and dried on the battery or in the oven. When the banana peel becomes dark brown, it grind it with a blender or coffee grinder. Ready powder can be fertilized by land in a pot, regularly slugging small doses when watering.
- Hydrogen peroxide saturates soil with oxygen. The chemical composition of the peroxide resembles water, and indoor plants react to it quite beneficial. The substance suppresses the number of harmful bacteria and microorganisms, contributes to the growth of the Decembrist and accelerates flowering. The solution for irrigation is prepared in the following proportion: 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide (3%) per 1 liter of water. The use of the mixture obtained is recommended no more than 1 time per week.
The fertilizer of the Decembrist needs to be neat, you should not often water and spray the plant with various mineral compositions.
Signs of incorrect feeding
When conducting feeding it is important to understand and take into account the real requirements of the plant, choose the right period of the procedure and dosage of minerals. The overall fertilizer will also negatively affect the plant, as well as their absence. It is worth paying attention to certain signs of a flower with the improper composition of mineral substances in the soil, with the advent of which it is necessary to stop feeding immediately.
- Fast aging and yellowness indicate an excess of phosphorus.
- A peculiar burn of the leaves, their death, necrosis occur during excess boron.
- The absence of flowering and dark green shade of the stem indicate the rehabilitation of the substrate with nitrogen.
- Changing the shape, brighter tint and lethargy of the leaves sign about the abrasion of potassium.