Ficus is called the genus of plants belonging to the Family Family. In the wild, ficuses dwell mostly in the tropical climate, they can be trees, shrubs and even Lianami. Some of them give people rubber, others – edible fruits. Leaves of different types of ficuses can be used both as medicinal raw materials, and as a building material. The most famous representatives of this kind are a fig tree (it is a fig or figs) and Ficus Benjamin, which is successfully grown as a room plant.
Where did the ficus of Benjamin come from and where it grows in nature?
The birthplace of this plant – Tropical Asian Forest. Nowadays it can be found in India, in China, in Australia. It also grows on the Hawaiian and Philippine Islands. Ficus Benjamin loves constant humidity and high air temperature. Many know that the inhabitants of the country of Thailand chose him with a symbol of their capital – Bangkok.
What does this plant look like?
Ficus Benjamin – It is an evergreen tree or shrub growing in natural conditions up to twenty-five meters in height. This plant has upright shoots and round stem. This ficus can be easily recognized on glossy smooth oval, with a pointed top, leaves 7-13 centimeters long.
Bark at Benjamin Ficus Serious Brownish Color, He also has a wide crown and drooping branches. The flowers of this plant are inflaped, and the round fruits of red or orange are inedible.
History of origin name
This ficus was received in honor of Benjamin Dyadon Jackson. This is the famous British nerd early XX century. Benjamin Dyadon became famous as a compiler of a reference book on flowering plants. He managed to describe around five hundred species of plants. In 1880, Benjamin Didona for a great contribution to Botany was elected by the President of the London Lynneevsky Society.
Ficus Benjamin as a houseplant
Recently, this type of ficus has become very popular as a spectacular room. Leaves of different varieties can have both different shades of green and contain white or yellowish splashes. Plants with blond leaves, as a rule, need more bright lighting. For several years at home With good care, Ficus Benjamin can grow to one or two meters in height. But as a house plant it does not bloom and does not be fruit, it is possible only in greenhouse conditions.
There are many curious information about this beautiful plant. We invite you to familiarize yourself with some of them:
- In the Royal Botanical Garden, Sri Lanka grows Ficus Benjamin, which one hundred and fifty years, and Krona has an area of two thousand five hundred square meters;
- During epidemics, it can successfully destroy pathogenic viruses;
- From this plant by pruning, you can form various figures: balls, rings and many others, depending on your imagination and skills.;
- Often, young plants plant a few trunks nearby and intertwined in the form of a braid so that beautiful patterns formed on the trunk;
- It is believed that this ficus brings good and good luck to the house, strengthens family relations, contributes to the conception of children;
- In India and Indonesia, Ficus Benjamin is considered to be a sacred plant. There is a belief that he can give a person enlightenment and spirituality. So it is often planted near temples.
Despite the fact that Ficus Benjamin as a room plant is inferior to his wild ancestor in size, He is amazingly fit into any interior. His shape of a small elegant trees and beautiful motley leaves spectacularly decorate modern living rooms in apartments and houses.
In addition, it can neutralize so harmful substances such as formaldehyde and benzene, perfectly cleaning home airspace.
How to care and breed Ficus Benjamin at home, learn from the following video.