Cacti – indoor plants that are enjoying much popularity for more than a dozen years. One of the varieties of data of representatives of flora is cacti belonging to the “Lofofor”. These plants, the birthplace of which are Mexico, have an unusual appearance and amazing properties.
Not all lovers of cacti know how to grow them at home, there are limitations on the cultivation of “Lofoforms”, which species belong to this group of plants. All listed aspects are discussed in detail in this article.
In a different way, this plant is called “Peyotle”. In natural conditions, it grows on slopes of small hills surrounded by shrub. Stem cactus “Lofofor” is a dense, slightly spacing ball of blue green. It is characterized by a smooth surface that is pleasant to the touch. Maximum ball diameter – 150 millimeters.
Growing in the pot “Peyotle” is often presented in the form of a set of several segments as if at part among themselves at the base. There may be more than five. Each segment also has its own division, which includes several ribs (usually 5). Ribs – parts of the top area of the stem. Usually all edges of cactus have the same size.
The surface of some cacti is quite buggy. At the same time, in the center of each individual segment, you can see a special area – AREOLU. The hair bundle painted in the straw color germinates from it. For adult plants is characterized by its location on the top of the stem. It is on this plot that the kidneys are formed in the spring period, the bloom of which can be observed in the summer season.
During the flowering period “Lofofor” pleases the eye with small tubular buds, the range of shades of which varies from red to pastel colors. The number of velvety texture petals is quite large, and the flower itself in diameter reaches two centimeters.
After flowering on the cactus, the formation of fruits. For Peyotle, the fruits of red and pink color are characterized, the size of which is about 20 millimeters. Inside them are black seeds of small.
An important characteristic of such types of cacti is a massive root system. The thickness of the root with a significant number of dense processes is not inferior to the stalk.
When taking into account the diameter of the root system, the calculation includes all “children”. Also for rhizomes is characterized by an impressive length that exceeds the stem.
The juice of these succulents has amazing properties. In small doses, it has a healing effect. He is also able to cause a hallucinogenic effect. No wonder the Indian tribes used this plant in various rituals and shamanic rites. In many countries, the cultivation and distribution of this Flora representative is prohibited by law.
The classification of such cacti is most often determined by the composition of their juice. External plants differences are minimal and often noticeable to specialists. In this case, there were cases when the plant of one type of such cacti showed some signs of another species.
Cactus Williams different in that It has a Mescalin juice that can cause a strong hallucinogenic effect. It is worth knowing that in the territory of the Russian Federation it is forbidden to grow these plants in the amount of more than two pieces.
The diameter of the stem of a similar flower is 120 millimeters, while its height is 70 millimeters. Flower petals of such a cactus painted in a white pink tone. Interestingly, the plant can have various forms: comb, a five-breed, burgral, deceptive or multi-parent.
Variety “Jourdan” It grows up to 60 millimeters in height, and its diameter reaches 70 millimeters. The trunk is represented by a totality of 14 ribs having the shape of a spiral. Flowers Cactus Red-Purple Buton.
Up to 80 millimeters in height grows “Lofofor” varieties of Fric. The diameter of this cactus is 120 millimeters. As in the previous embodiment, 14 spiral parts are present on the stem. During flowering, the plant pleases the eye with carminno-red flowers.
Large diameter is characteristic of empty “Lofofors”. It is as many as 130 millimeters. The stalk of the plant has a yellow-green color and an altitude of 80 millimeters. Flowers have yellow and white colors.
“Hedgehog Lofofor” It is characterized by a stem with a diameter of 120 mm and 10 ribs from which it consists. Plant Color – Saturated Dark Green with Blue Tam. Flowers cactus in small white flowers, fruits have a light pink color.
The most massive trunk, reaching 200 millimeters in diameter, is characteristic of a cactus called green. His dark green surface covers many ribs. Plant Inherent Bright White Flowers.
There is also yellow-green lutea from the same kind. Its diameter reaches 100 mm, and the stem has a brown-gray. For such a plant, flowers or light yellow or white-yellow painting are characteristic.
Conditions of detention
To cactus successfully grew up in conditions of home or apartment, need to create him certain conditions.
- Artificial scattered lighting should be bright. In case of exposure to direct sunlight on such a cactus, its stem can change the color and slow down the already incomplete growth. Lighting should be maintained not only in the summer, but in winter.
- The air temperature depends on the season. In the summer, it should be moderate, despite the fact that the Mexican plant can withstand quite high thermometer indicators. The optimal indicator is considered +20 degrees Celsius. In winter, the cactus you need to find a cool place in which the air will warm up not more than 10 degrees.
- Additional humidity for this plant is not recommended. On the contrary, it will feel more comfortable if you lower the level of humidity in the room.
- Soil acidity, in which the plant will grow, should be at the neutral level. The structure of the soil should be loose, so it is recommended to mix the ground with nutrients and loosening additives. Great option – perlite, nervous land and brick crumb, mixed with each other in proportions 2: 1: 1. Also, the skin of the ingredient will be bone flour taken in a small amount. The soil mixture should be well to skip both water and air.
- Given the long root system of the plant, It is important to choose for it suitable in size pot. Do not forget to make drainage, placing small gravel small gravel over the ground mixture.
Little to properly land and create all the necessary conditions. It is also important to also conduct timely procedures for leaving the plant.
- Watering is determined by three factors: the state of the soil, the time of the year and the temperature in the room. In summer the soil must be moisturized 24-48 hours after it is completely dry after the previous watering. Stop making moisture in late September. In winter, watering is not carried out due to the risk of appearances. Again start moisturizing procedures recommended in March.
- It follows to feed the cactus during its intensive growth. Substance income frequency – 1 time in 4 weeks. It is better to buy those fertilizers that are specifically designed for a family of cactus.
- If the plant is young, once a year (in spring) it is necessary to carry out its transplant. More adult cactus need to move in another pot only when its root system becomes closely in the old capacity. You can cut long roots during a transplant, but not more than a quarter of their length.
Slices need to be treated with charcoal and carefully dry before moving the plant to a new container.
The best way to breed the “Lofoforms” is planting seeds. They can evolve at any time of the year. This procedure is carried out according to a specific algorithm.
- Take a small container in depth, place large river sand in it and stealed soil for flowers in proportion 1 to 1.
- Lightly accumulate the substrate.
- Remove the fruit seeds (it is better to carry out this procedure immediately before landing). Distribute them along the soil surface and evenly press it into it.
- From above should be sprinkled with gravel seeds.
- So that the soil mixture is saturated with moisture, the container must be placed in water by one third of the hour.
- It is then put in a plastic container, and from above are covered with polyethylene film to create greenhouse conditions with high humidity.
- Seeds should be kept indoors with a temperature of 20-30 degrees above zero. It is also important to provide abundant lighting (at least 12 hours a day).
- Carry the soil, as well as carry out its moisturizing when the top layer begins to push.
- The first shoots can be expected two weeks later.
- After about 45 days, you can transplant cacti in individual pots.
Diseases and pests
Cactuses of the genus “Lofofor” rarely suffer from parasites or any diseases. If all the rules for the content and care of the plant are observed, there should be no problems. If it is incorrect to care for the culture, you can provoke the wrong operation of bacteria in the soil in which the cactus grows. For example, excessive watering can lead to the formation of rot.
Many confuses too slow growth. Sometimes it is even taken to stop in growth. But in fact, this is a normal phenomenon, since “Peyotle” in room growing conditions increases no more than 10 millimeters per year.
In the next video you are waiting for a transplant and pollination of the cactus “Peyotle”.