Decoratively flowering plants have their own sad feature. Flower, they become unavailable, as they are decorative properties in inflorescence. If you want to enjoy the beauty of a home plant not cyclically, and all year round, choose a view with unusual leaves. These plants include phyttonium mix.
Fittonia – a plant from the wet forests of South America (often found in Peru), a representative of the family of the accomplished. There is about 10 of her species. His name Fittonia is obliged to sisters Fitton from England, who wrote the first textbook for the studies of botany. This is a perennial grassy plant that has a reprehension or pinching stalks. Leaves have different coloring (from light green and bright red).
Silver bodies on the leaves – “Raisin” of a flower. An adult plant has a magnificent and branching crown and grows up to 50 cm. The bloom of South African Beauty is a spikelet with small – about 5 cm in length – unattractive yellow flower. Fittononia mix blooms in the spring-summer period (starting from May). At home, this process takes 2 weeks and ends with the fact that the inflorescence is completely dried.
Fittononia is not a poisonous, it is safe for both people and pets. It is possible to grow it in a house with young children.
Fittonia is well adapted for growing at home, but still requires compliance with certain conditions. It can be grown in pots, in flurarium – is not suitable for large species – or in a special aquarium (paludarium). The flower is often called the capricious, that’s why novice flower flows are difficulties with its breeding (It is said that only the second feettonium will grow, since the first flower will surely die). If you correctly care for South American Beauty, you will long enjoy her beautiful foliage and inflorescences. Of course, this is not a succulent and not a cactus, minimal in the requirements. However, those who breed at home different plants, the daily normal care for Fittonia will not make problems.
Basic rules for the care of Fittonia Mix.
- Moderate watering and irrigation with a spray gun every day. It is better to water portions often than to cut or rebel the soil.
- Sufficient humidity and maintenance of the desired temperature. Leaves should not be filled and all the more coated dust.
- A favorable place for a pot with this exotic caprise will help solve half of the cultivation problems.
- Provide enough fresh air (but avoid drafts) indoors where flower is.
- Replant the plant 1 time in 3 years, as soon as the roots will not be enough space in the pot.
- In time to feed the flower with special mineral fertilizers for decoratively deciduous species.
- If the plant is ill, or pests appeared on it, take measures in a timely manner.
In winter, care changes a little – the plant requires a more careful attitude towards.
- Temperature should be no lower than 18 degrees.
- Since in the winter a short light day, then you need to use additional lighting (fluorescent lamps). Or you can transfer Fittonia to the eastern window.
- Water plant need 2-3 times a week. This is the optimal frequency.
- The required level of humidity is 80 percent during the year.
- Feeding better postpone until spring. In winter it is not required.
How to arrange a flower?
Fittonia – a light-insulated plant that requires a bright light. But avoid direct sunlight (there may be burns on the leaves). In summer, an ideal place for a flower – near the sunny window, and in the fall – the window on the south side. In winter, the plant needs to be held away from the batteries and find a place with a sufficient amount of sunlight. To save a beautiful green color, you need to use additional lighting (2-3 hours in the evening).
The ideal place for Fittonia is Western and East window sills. In any case, it can only be chosen by experienced.
In the summer, the room temperature should be about + 24-27 degrees, in winter – from 18 to 20 degrees. Ideal temperature – +23 degrees. It is necessary to avoid sharp temperature jumps, otherwise it will be bad on the well-being of the plant (focusing or flower death).
As for the ventilation, it is better to clean the fittonium from the room at this time – it does not tolerate drafts and air conditioners – and in the summer you should not keep it outdoors.
Being a leaving of the rainforest, Fittonia loves high humidity in the room. For this daily, her leaves need to spray (ideally – in the morning and in the evening). Want to save time? Buy a device producing artificial fog. And you can also put a small container with water near the flower, which, evaporating, will create the necessary microclimate. Or place Fittonia over aquarium. You can also put a pot into a cup with water too, but you need to follow so that there is no root of the roots of the plant with water (for this is used drainage).
In the spring and summer flower requires daily enhanced watering. Autumn watering becomes moderate (2-3 times a week). In winter, it will be enough once a week. It is recommended to water the phyttonium after drying the vertex of the earth coma. The plant loves moisture, but it is not necessary to overjudify it, as it can lead to reinforcement of the roots (which is why Fittononia does not fit the lower irrigation). Purified, melt or stretched water well suited for watering.
It is important to wipe the leaves with a damp soft napkin to remove dirt and dust.
Soil and fertilizer selection
Soil for exotic beauty should be loose and rich nutrients. You can buy special soil – suits the soil for Azalei, Gerani or violet – for Fitton or prepare independently of deciduous earth, sand, peat, black soot. Drainage (crumbs or small pebbles) – indispensable component when planting plants. Since the beginning of the spring and until late autumn, it is necessary to fertilize the plant (at least 2 times a week). This uses mineral fertilizers (only reduce dosage twice). In winter, the plant does not need to feed. On the leaves you can apply a liquid feeder that will provide food and plant protection.
Best transplanted Fittonia in March or April. Plant Younger than 5 years have transplanted every year, then every 2-3 years. Just purchased flower do not immediately transplant, it needs adaptation. Transplanting flower, it is important to choose good fertile soil and drainage. Fittononia will suit a wide and not very deep pot, 2 cm more (wider capacity poorly affect plant growth).
During the transplant, you can conduct rejuvenating procedures – trimming and pinching.
Methods of breeding
The main methods of breeding phytonia – grain, cuttings and division.
- Reproduction of division (can be done when the plant transplant). Spring is carried out. The main bush is divided into several parts and put in a pot, the diameter of which is more than 2 cm. In the process, the main thing is not to damage the roots. Otherwise, the plant will be long to stay, be in a state of stress or may die.
- Silence reproduction. A stalk is taken (minimum with five leaves and a length of 2 to 7 cm) from the main bush, cut it into the cup with sand cut and covered with a film or can. Greenhouse conditions are obtained. Every day you need to open these mini greenhouses to ventilate. The room should be warm enough (+ 25-27 degrees). When young sprouts appear, the film or the bank is cleaned.
- Reproduction with tanks (the easiest way). Fittononia Mix can multiply independently. For this, there is a gauge, which is located at the bottom of the main bush, the leaves are removed from it and then he is drawn by the earth. After rooting, the drains are separated and transplanted into a separate pot.
A good period for breeding – Spring (March, April) or mid-summer.
If you want to have a bushing with lush and very beautiful foliage, put in a wide pot of several flowers.
Diseases and pests
If the phyttonium mix is bad to care, then she begins to hurt. This can contribute to the violation of the irrigation regime, too dry land and straight solar rays. Having a capricious character, Fittonia rarely sick. Need to really try to make a home plant badly feel. If you are constantly growing flowers on the windowsill, the care of Fittonia will not be much difficult for you.
Frequently found pests of plants:
- web tick;
- Gray Gnil.
Get rid of them easy – leaves need to rinse with soap solution and process insecticide.
Gray rot appears if the plant is in the cold room for a long time. When detecting gray rot, you need to trim the leaves from above and plant new flowers. Also should not be abundantly watering the plant in winter. Wait until the pot with a flower becomes easier, the earth will at least get a little. Then it is possible to carry out another watering.
Signs that the plant misses the plant:
- bush yellow (strong soil moistening);
- leaf twisting (insufficient watering or very bright light);
- Opal leaves and bare trunk – the plant needs pruning;
- If the leaves have become sluggish, then the temperature has become lower as familiar to fittonia;
- Pallor and dullness of the leaves – the result of very bright lighting;
- dry air and excess moisture will lead to the fact that the leaves will fall;
- If the lower leaves fall, it is normal, since the Fittonian stem gradually begins.
Slow Growth – Specific Flower Damage. For someone it may seem disadvantage. But but the plant does not need constant transplants every 2-3 years. It is easy to form. Fittonia will also not file an all space if you put it in a group composition with other plants.
How to properly care for Fittonia Mix, you will learn from the video below.