Ficus – a plant included in the list of the most popular acquisitions of indoor flower lovers. Ficus has long been associated with home culture, although in a natural environment he is considered to be trees, and not the smallest. It grows in Malaysian tropics and subtropics, in the Philippines, as well as in the south-east of Asia. Researchers managed to identify about 900 species of ficus with significant interspecies. Consider the features of this culture in more detail.
Ficus belong to the Family Family. The most striking representative of this family is a fig tree. The most demanded from domestic flower water – Ficus Benjamin.
In its natural environment, the ficus can grow like a shrub, like a tree and even as bizarring or climbing liana. At the same time, Liana can be very large (a bright example – ficus shaggy). Also plants are able to develop as epiphytes (golden ficus). Surprisingly, they have a property to let their own roots, capturing other plants. Choosing a starting pad on some culture, they begin to develop rapidly. Some fikuses have air roots gradually reach the Earth (Ficus Banyan).
Prevailing Life Forms Plants: Epiphyts, Banyans, Almights, Caudes, Earth. In individual representatives of the tropics on several phases of development, there is a rapid change of life forms. Putting your way on another plant, they turn into stratifiers, and then – in Banyanov. But there is a different way – to live all your life as an evergreen tree.
Lovers of the study of the secrets of nature are interesting precisely. Capturing any culture, it organizes excellent conditions, the main one is access to lighting. If the ficus is located in the cleft of the trunk of his victim, it acquires protection from the roaring shining. Since there is a wax flare on the sheet itself, there is enough moisture for a full growth of culture. As soon as the bush becomes stronger, it brings air roots. The soil with water and minerals is located low, so the plant “fastened” by the wet air of the tropics.
Grown ficus roots excavation plant host. A peculiar frame appears that depress the growth of the victim. This leads to the fact that sooner or later it will surely dried.
As for Banyanov, having visited India, you can see an outstanding Calcutt Botanical Garden, which is called “Great Banyan”. There you can detect plants that seem to man-made: so incredible their appearance. There are, for example, a ficus with 1000 stems, which is more than 160 years. Some scientists conduct parallel between a banyan and a hinge system that can withstand even powerful wind gusts.
Once in New Guinea, you can see the climbing lianas, which for their gripper with air roots join the support. By the way, you do not need to go to exotic edges to see a similar miracle: Even the ficus the tiny (official name), used for the decor of the walls, is partly reminders of his tropical fellow.
Of the variety of species of ficus at home, about two dozen is grown. One of the leaders – rubbing. He is unpretentious in leaving, it is easy to grow and develops, it can boast of good immune protection against a variety of diseases. Such a ficus calmly suffers trimming and runs fast recovery. A tree flower with proper care can heat up to two meters. He has dark foliage, oval leaves are able to grow to 35 cm. And this promising culture occurs from Burma, as well as Nepal, Himalayas and partly from West Africa.
Consider the origin of other types of ficus.
- Lirective flower. Noteworthy with its light emerald leaves. Title talking: Flowers really resemble LIRA. It happens from the West African forests on the plains. Not in the dwelling he grows to 11-12 meters.
- PIMULA. This is an ampel plant that looks like a climbing and whining liana. The origin of his Asian, there the culture grows and today. Leaflets are not the largest, heart-shaped, they cover the ground with a decorative carpet. Adult cultures can have leaves up to 10 cm in diameter.
- Creeping grade. He comes from America, Africa. In Asia, he also grows. It is a small creeping type of ficus with a cute rounded foliage. Equipped with apparent roots, which helps him deftly climb on woody core on a decent height.
- Retus or laurel ficus. Originated from Taiwan’s tropics and Southeast Asia. Sometimes it is called Cuban. Today, this home flower has another feature: it is often used to form a bonsai, which contributes to his unusual stem.
- Rust / Australian Ficus. The birthplace of this plant is immortalized in his title – Australia. It is difficult to call it indoor, because it is an evergreen tree with elegant reddish shoots and dark emerald foliage, which can be pretty. Top shoots have chopping. Their color is pink.
- Benjamin grade. The history of this variety is familiar to many, the area of growing – the tropics of Asia. There it can be found at the mountain foot, it is a favorite place of ficus. In the wild, it grows up to 20 m, at home – up to 2 m. The tree symbolizes Bangkok, even considered his brand. Tree leaves are similar in shape with egg.
- Ivyovoid. Countries of Growing – Laos, Thailand, as well as South China. This ficus is belonging to climbing shrubs with air roots, which are located in the nodes of the leaves. It is the leaves that are proudly varieties. In form they are egg-shaped, the color of them is rich, green, there are elegant.
These are only a few popular varieties. But seeing their description, you can understand where the flower comes from which you are going to use for the decor of your own dwelling. Bring the aesthetics of the tropics into your house is sometimes very useful, and if we take into account that the plant really cleans the air, reducing the content in it formaldehyde, benzene and pathogenic bacteria, it is even necessary.
Some sources of people will accept saying that the ficus in the dwelling is unfortunately. From where the legs “grow” from this belief is completely incomprehensible, because in most crops ficus symbolizes wisdom. It is even used in the recipes of incense used in meditation. If you believe Ayurved, the plant in the residential premises should be.
It helps to restore the energy balance and eliminates the alarm. Only rubber ficus should cause some concerns: it highlights a substance into the air, able to cause an attack from asthmatics.
How did you get to Russia?
Until now, there is no accurate answer to this question, but there is information about the widespread prevalence of ficus in the XIX century in the Russian Empire. It rarely grows in a temperate climate, but, for example, a fig tree (this is also a mud) is found in Crimea. Figs – also a close relative of the fikuses. His biological name – “Karika”.
Where did the ficus come from, unknown. Some versions, one of them – in favor of New Guinea. There, to this day, you can see the ficuses that grow up to 40 m, and in the girth reach 5 m. They have large, almost always glossy leaves, sometimes lowered. Earth ficuses grow there, whose shoots develop under the ground. Succulents grow in arid areas. Today they are in fashion, widely used in the design of apartments. For example, a palmer is to present succulent ficuses, a fairly common and demand-free plant.
Each type of ficus has its own habitat. In the Amazon Pool, for example, there are unique specimens. Therefore, how exactly the ficus appeared in our areas, no one knows exactly. As he was brought with whom he came, how he found such rapid spread in Russia – questions that are still studied. It is assumed that it is still mining from southern regions, perhaps from the Mediterranean.
Since the ficus is a tropical plant, it needs good lighting. However, direct scoring rays are not the best option, like the heating device, located near the ficus. If you see that the plant lacks natural light, take care of artificial lighting.
Professionals give some more important culture careals.
- Plant loves moisturized air. It should be sprayed once a week cool water if the microclimate is wet. If the air is dry in the room, make spraying costs more often.
- One watering a week is a maximum. Pereliva ficuses do not tolerate.
- The right approach to the soil is the alternation of fertile and sandy layers. Thanks to this, the plant will be healthy and long-year. Soil for ficus should be moisturized and loose. But it is impossible to loosen the land: so as not to injure the gentle roots, looseness and air flow ensure that the alternating layers provide.
- As the ficus increases, you should replant. If the plant is already an adult, then in one person it can live for years. The main thing is to feed it, periodically replacing the soil.
- Forming the crown is needed in the fall or in the spring, when the plant is either already goes into a hibernation, or even finally not “woke up”. Soots can be cut through the secret, but simply wearing the branches should not. Cuts Do not forget to process a solution of manganese in order to prevent rot.
If you create a ficus ideal conditions, then it can become a long-liver. But if a couple of weeks to refuse a plant in watering, give him a dust, pour into the soil the remnants of coffee and others unsuitable for the culture of the liquid, the young plant with a high probability will die. But adult ficuses manage to “increase armor”, so they are not so vulnerable.
To feed the plant need special, intended for him with funds.
To stimulate growth, you can use feeding “for rose bushes”. Good nitrous mineral fertilizers. As a calorie feeder, you can use ashes and wood resin.
The plant does not endure drafts, because fans of frequent ventilation should think about another green “pet”. Even the most expensive ficus can quickly get sick if you put it near the battery. If the peeling smell came from the pot, you can diagnose mold fungus. In this case, the plant will save a transplant. And to avoid the invasion of pests that do not mind to enjoy nutritional ficus, the latter need to quickly wipe.
See more about ficuses in the video below.