Failure in the system or defect device can lead to the fact that the laptop will stop recognizing the printer when connected via USB. This situation occurs both when setting up new equipment and when working with a well-known technique. Many problems of this kind do not require special skills and easily eliminate on site. From this article you will find out what to do if the laptop does not see the printer, and why such problems appear.
Malfunctions, due to which the system does not find a device, can be divided into several Categories.
Often they are associated with a physical defect:
- Damage to the USB cable or incorrect operation of the port itself;
- incorrect connection;
- Inner breakdown.
Perhaps the laptop does not see the printer and does not connect to it because System failure.
It can be:
- failure in the work of the print service;
- Error or operating driver;
- Damage to system system files;
- The impact of a malicious program (virus), due to which the printer is not installed.
There are also other reasons:
- The system sees an external device, but it does not print the document – this is possible if another printer is selected by default;
- It is impossible to start work due to improper exit from the hibernation mode;
- The laptop does not recognize the new device due to the assigned error when installing.
If until recently the technique worked without complaints, and then suddenly stopped, first it is worth checking it for the presence of the most common problems. When connecting a new printer It is recommended to carefully examine the instructions.
Some models require compliance with a certain sequence of steps if it is broken, the device will work incorrectly, and the laptop does not recognize it.
What to do?
The user should start with the inspection of physical defects.
- Inspect the USB cable for chances, twists, traces of pets of domestic animals. Sometimes damage is imperceptible to the eye, so try using another cord to test the equipment.
- Check out the USB port – perhaps he loosened or scored dust. Try to connect the device to another nest.
- If you use various adapters or a very long cable, replace them with a shorter cord.
Note – some printers have two power buttons. One is located on the front panel, and the other – the back of the case. Make sure both they are included.
Sometimes the reason lies in incorrect output from sleep or hibernation. If you try to send printing documents, appears Error message. In this case, you need Reload Laptop. The problem may be connected with Driver work. To begin with, it is necessary to make sure that There are no viruses in the system – Check using anti-virus software.
You may need to re- Install drivers. This is done like this:
- Through the Control Panel, open the Device Manager and click the Refresh button;
- If everything is in order, in the “Print Queue” tab you will find your printer;
- If it is not in the list, open “Other Devices” and see if there are icons there with a yellow exclamation mark – this means that the driver is missing, it can be installed by clicking the right mouse button and selecting the appropriate item.
Often complete with the equipment goes disk, where there is everything necessary by from the manufacturer. You can find the necessary files on it or download them from the Internet.
Perhaps there is no driver associated with the work not printer, but USB controller. In this case, no device connected to the port will not work. The state of these drivers can also be checked in the Device Manager, in the USB Controllers tab and update or reinstall if necessary. Windows has a special print service.
If a failure occurred in it, the laptop sees the printer, but nothing happens. To view the service list, follow these steps:
- Use the combination of Win + R hot keys to call the service window;
- In the field that appears, enter the Services command. MSC;
- Find a “Print Manager” list and make sure that it is selected automatic startup mode;
- You can also try to stop, and then re-run this service.
If you have several printing devices, for example, in the office, check the desired printer to be selected by default. Through the control panel, go to “Equipment and Sound”, and then in “Devices and Printers”. Locate the desired model there and select “Use Default” by right-clicking. After that, close to the image of the equipment will appear a green tick.
You can also view print queue and clear it to remove unnecessary documents.
Try connecting the printer to another computer, you can even try to print from the phone – Many modern models are supported. If everything happened, it means, the problem in the laptop operating system. Check the integrity of system files by using the command line and running the scan using SFC / SCANNOW. You can also try back to the previous point of recovery, If the device has been working normally before and you are sure that nothing has changed in the settings.
Sometimes the antivirus enters the conflict with various programs and interferes with the operation of devices. Try to disable it and check it on, whether the printer will print after that. Perhaps you will need to add it to the list of anti-virus software, so that such a problem no longer arose. Modern models often support Wi-Fi connection. You can use this feature if you need to urgently print the documents and there is no time to search for troubleshooting or it is impossible to recognize the cause.
There are recommendations that will help avoid some problems with technology:
- Do not forget to clean the equipment and ports from dust and dirt in time, this will allow to extend the service life;
- Follow the cables, you should not bend and twisted them, it is also better to keep the wires away from domestic animals;
- Check the system with anti-virus programs regularly and do not forget about software updates;
- You can use special programs to work with drivers – they automatically analyze the state of the system, reveal outdated components and install the desired software as needed.
If you have tried all the ways, but the technique still refuses to work, you can Contact a service center to troubleshoot. Specialists will be able to repair and replace faulty details.
The following video discusses some reasons for the lack of printer connection to a laptop.