With frequent use of headphones, their plug inevitably fails. You will learn what to do to determine and eliminate this malfunction. We will tell you how to properly solder the plug for 3 and 4 wires, as well as give advice on repair and further operation.
Different audio equipment has various connectors that differ not only with dimensions, but also functional. Therefore, there are several types of plugs:
- Micro Jack 2.5 mm size (TS / TRS / TRRS). Scope – Portable audio equipment, some camcorders and microphones. Previously, such a standard was used in mobile phones.
- Mini Jack with a diameter of 3.5 mm (TS / TRS / TRRS). Familiar to many interface, which is used in modern computers, smartphones, tablets, audio equipment and many where else.
- Large Jack with a diameter of 6.25 mm (TS / TRS). Used in stationary professional equipment, amplifiers and karaoke devices.
- USB. Such a connector has some full-sized computer headphones.
- USB Type C. This is a new interface for connecting mobile headset. It is still weakly distributed, mainly USB Type C adapters are used – Mini Jack.
Latin letters in Jack type connectors indicate the number of contacts. It is poorly due to the size of the plug, but the manufacturers are usually complied with the above classification. Each letter means the following:
- T – TRIP (Latch). This is the “Nose” of the plug, its very beginning.
- S – Sleeve (Bushing). The final part of the plug, which adjacent to the plastic case.
- R – Ring (Ring). Located between these two contacts.
In some connectors intended for the transmission of sound in mono format, it may not be. In others, where the microphone or the noise reduction system is used, R contacts can be somewhat.
The number of wires that are included in the connector may vary depending on the functionality and destination of the connected headset:
- 2 wires. Earlier were used to transmit a monozer in the most simple constructions of audio equipment (for example, detector radio receivers). Currently, sometimes used to connect microphones.
- 3 wires. Such a scheme is used for stereo sound, and for mono sound (then the left and right channels are connected together).
- 4 wires. Such a connector is needed to connect stereo charts, that is, headphones with a microphone and control button. The button is connected in parallel with the microphone.
- 5 wires. Applied in an expensive headset with active noise reduction system. And when to improve the quality of sound, the microphone with the control button is connected to the database of a separate cable.
Sometimes in a 5-wire diagram, only 4 wires can be observed visually. This is because the copper braid of the microphone cable is used as a 5th conductor. When repairing such a connector, be attentive.
To facilitate the work of the wires have a color labeling:
- Right-channel – Red.
- Left – green, blue, white and other colors.
- Common contact, or grounding – copper.
But not everything is so simple, some unscrupulous manufacturers use the wires of the same color. Then for repairing headphones you need to fully disassemble and nick each cable. In addition, even the same externally connectors have different pinout – CTIA and OMTP.
If such a plug is incorrectly, a microphone can be output. Even if it does not reach this, the sound will be distorted anyway. Exit only one – repail the plug. Usually used CTIA connection scheme. OMTP option meets in cheap Chinese headphones.
On sale Special adapters with CTIA on OMTP and vice versa. As you can see, correctly solder the plug is not so easy. The main difficulty is to correctly calculate the purpose of each wire. But first you need to clearly define a malfunction.
How to define a malfunction
Signs for which you can define a plug breakage, such:
- Strong interference, when playing, the sound is distorted.
- One speaker does not work or both.
- No microphone functions.
- Active noise reduction does not work (if it is provided for by the design of the headset).
- The sound disappears, and if you move the plug – appears.
- Headphones only work with a certain position of the plug.
- There are visible plug damage or wire chances at the connection site.
- The plug completely broke away.
To check the work of the headset, connect it with a deliberately good source. The main thing is to determine that the plug broke, not the speakers. To check them, turn on the multimeter to the call mode and attach it to the probe to the wires from the speakers. A good speaker must make rustles and clicks (but quiet and need to listen to them). When the plug failure is detected, do not be mistaken. Perform repair for each who knows how to keep a soldering iron.
How to solder headphones to the plug
For repair we will need:
- acute knife or scalpel;
- nippers or sideness;
- tweezers, mediator or flat screwdriver;
- soldering iron, solder and flux;
- Thermocles and adhesive gun;
- Spare plug.
It is impossible to use a flux, which contains acid or alkali. In our case, the pine rosin is well suited.
You may need not all these items. But repair is unpredictable, so there will never be extensive. When all this is ready, you can start work. Repair headphones can be 2 ways: use the old connector or replace it with a new.
Repair begins the same:
- Flooring Cut the old plug at a distance of 2-3 cm from its edge.
- Clean the wires from the insulation (it is advisable for a common contact a little longer).
- In the manufacture of a headset in cables, a silk thread is woven, which increases their mechanical properties. Wire must be broken, remove thread.
- Clean the cable from the lacquer insulation. It can be removed with a knife. Or take advantage of the lighter and then blade remove Nagar. Also, the lacquer is well cleaned with a mud, when the wire is immersed in the pool of rosin and calcined the soldering iron. On his stare should be a little solder.
- Properly determine the purpose of each wire (this is called pinout). Resistance to the speakers of insert headphones is usually 32 ohms.
- Spread together all ground wires.
Also as a flux is possible to use aspirin, which is clearly represented in the following video:
Next, choose between the repair of the old plug or its replacement. The new connector can be soldered immediately, it is not necessary to make preparatory operations with it (except to read and fill contacts). There are different models on sale for 3, 4 or more wires. But they are not deprived of the shortcomings:
- Hole for wire is very big, you need to fill it with something. For example, a thermoclaus or sealant.
- The mass and sizes of the new plug are more, and this does not add some amenities. Yes, and his appearance can be very different from the overall style of headphones.
- Connector contact material worse for soldering.
- The poor-quality plug may break the nest at the source.
All these shortcomings concern only the cheapest connectors. To avoid them, buy only quality products. Then replacing the connector will not cause difficulties. Before the soldering, do not forget to put on the cable all the necessary parts of the plug. Even experienced masters sometimes allow such a mistake. You can overpass the old plug, for this you need to act neatly:
- Cut the plastic insulation by seam and remove it.
- Take a picture of the spike place of each wire.
- Clean the contacts on the plug.
- On the cable open the heat shrink tube and the new case. It can be a cap from a ballpoint handle, the needle tip from the syringe and another. Do not forget to fit the sizes to the plug.
- Shut off wires.
- Fix a new body with glue and heat shrinking.
Check out the headphones. If the sound is clean and operate the microphone and noise reduction – the work was successful. If NO – Inspect the Play Places, check the speakers and wires by a multimeter.
We can give several repairs and operationals that you can use:
- Observe safety techniques, work in a well-ventilated room with enough light.
- To clarify the pinout of your headphone model, look for information on thematic sites or forums, as well as on the manufacturer’s website.
- When soldering, do not overheat the plug. Its contacts are separated by plastic insulation, which can melt.
- For better cleaning of the wire from varnish, you can use aspirin tablet. You need to put on it the desired section of the cable and warm the soldering iron. True, then the wire still needs to be cleaned and fired with rosin.
- To avoid further breakdowns, watch the cable not worked out at the entrance to the plug. This place can be strengthened if you put the spring from the fountain pen, wrap a scotch or tape.
With a more detailed analysis and repair of the headphone plug, you can find in the following video.