While working with a computer, there are often situations when you need to stop the print sent to the printer. For example, you need to stop the printout of the erroneously selected document, unformatted text or untreated image. To not translate the sheets and paint to the back, first of all, it will be necessary to remove paper from the tray, after which you will cancel the task. The situation is also common when the printer ceases to respond to commands during printing of several documents, and the process freezes. You can correct the situation if you learn to cancel the output command of the document, text or image on the material carrier.
View the queue through the control panel
One of the most popular print queue options implies the use of “Control Panel”. The method is in demand among most Windows users, while applying it can be applied regardless of the version of the operating system or the printer model. It is noteworthy that Windows 10 users cannot find a panel with such name. This is explained by the fact that the company has renamed it to “Parameters”. At the same time, almost all functions and opportunities were left, although, for example, cleaning the print queue will need to search.
Go to the desired window in two ways.
- Open the Start Context menu.
- Use the search system.
- Take advantage of Win + R keys.
Any of these methods will open the control panel to the user. Next will need the following.
- Open the section “Devices and Printers”.
- Select a printer to be seal.
- Double-click Open window with basic information. The same window will appear if you click on the printer name with the right mouse button.
- Select an object to be removed from the print queue.
- Press the PCM and in the selection menu that appears. Another way implies the selection of the object and press the DEL key.
If you want to reset all the items that are in the queue, you should click on the printer that is on the top of the list panel, After that choose the print queue function. When all actions are made, the list will be cleared. After that, you can start performing new tasks.
Also in the menu of the printer, you can select other settings, for example, to suspend printing. Such a solution is suitable for cases when the device is chewing paper and does not want to end the work independently.
Restarting the system process
This option is suitable for those who urgently need to cancel the task. However, it is worth noting that this method is not particularly popular. Many prefer to stop the work of the printer in the settings and resort to reboot only if nothing happened. In this case, To clear the printer’s print queue, the following will be required.
- Open section “Run”. To do this, click the Win + R keys, or use the Start context menu.
- Dial SERVICES command. MSC.
- Confirm command entry.
- View the “Services” window and find the section “Print Manager” in it. It is necessary to press PKM.
- In the menu that opens, select the “Restart” option.
It is worth noting that The menu presents the service stop. You do not need to click this option, it is necessary to restart the system. The advantage of the method is that it quickly copes with the task. Printing is quickly removed, while all documents from the list are completely disappeared, which enters the printer to perform printout.
Minus reboot – the inability to select certain files to cancel print. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to this moment when it wanted to use this method. Another option to restart the system involves stopping the “Print Manager” by pressing the PCM and select the “Stop” function. At the same time additionally cleared the printer folder and the device operation is restarted.
Listed two methods – not the only possibility of stopping unwanted printing. There are other, less demanded options to stop what printer prints. but It is worth considering them in more detail that you can use them at any time.
Deleting a temporary folder
When a task is coming to the printer, according to which the printout of documents is required, temporary files are formed inside the system. They contain information that is required for the operation. If you manually clean the folder from the files, then you can reset the task and stop the process execution. Before proceeding with cleaning, it is recommended to stop the work of the “Print Manager”. You can do it in the computer settings. Service can be started again only after deleting files from the folder. Manually clean the contents of the temporary folder as follows.
- Enter the path C: \ Windows \ System32 \ Spool \. The first letter means the name of the system disk, so you should specify the one on which the computer operating system is installed.
- Delete directory content called Printers. It is worth noting that the catalog itself does not need to delete.
Thus, it will be possible to cancel any print (even double-sided) unwanted files on the printer.
When using this method, it is recommended that all files will be deleted from the folder. This is especially important if the printer works in the office, where documents or other files can withdraw different employees.
If desired, the process to stop the output of files for printing can be simplified. It does not have to do anything manually, it is enough to open the command line on the computer. However, this is only suitable for those who work under the administrator account. The task is performed as follows.
- The user launches the command line with extended rights. To start you can use any available way. This refers to the command line call through the Start context menu. You can also press PCM and select the appropriate command line in which administrator rights will be indicated.
- In the supposed terminal, the owner of the computer asks the Net Stop Spooler command. Next you need to confirm the execution of the task using the input key. Thus, the work of the Print Manager will be suspended.
- The third step is to enter two additional commands: Del% Systemroot% \ System32 \ Spool \ Printers \ *. SHD \ F \ S \ Q and Del% Systemroot% \ System32 \ Spool \ Printers \ *. SPL \ F \ s \ Q. With their help, it will be possible to clear the temporary folder in which the files are stored for printing. They have an extension. SHD,. SPL. Introduction of special commands will allow you to remove the task.
The final stage is to start the Print Manager service. You can do this by entering the NET Start Spooler command.
If the user often interferes with the printing process, removing a huge number of files, a systematic problem of the printer operation may occur, which will begin to gradually issue errors in the output of documents. Usually the problem arises from incorrect drives of drivers.
In this case, it is recommended:
- Check for updates for printing equipment drivers;
- Update old drivers in the presence of new versions;
- perform reinstalling drivers if the equipment has stopped responding to commands.
Regarding the last point it is worth noting that reinstalling can be performed both manually and using special software. If there is no ability to install the driver, you can use a temporary solution to the problem. This will require you to create an extension file. Bat. This can be done as follows.
- Open a notepad to create a text file.
- Familiar 4 teams in it are described in the previous section. They will trigger the “Print Manager” stop, delete files with specific extensions from the Printers directory and activate the required service.
- Save file.
Run it is required on behalf of the administrator. As soon as the file is open, a set of entered commands to remove files from the folder and stop the printer printing will start. To make it easier to use this solution, you can create a shortcut on the desktop and run commands with one click.
How to clear the print queue on the printer, look in the video.