Almost no one is perfect, and you can use even the best camera, but if the hand is drogling at the time of pressing the descent, spoil a wonderful frame. In the case of shooting a video, the situation may be even worse – moving behind a moving object and not always time to look under the legs, the operator, especially inexperienced, will inevitably provoke shake. Nevertheless, you probably noticed that the professionals do not have this problem.
Actually The trick is not to long and diligently produce hand resistance in a stable position, but in the purchase of special equipment, which smoothes shaking for removing equipment. Such a device is called a stabilizer or steadics.
There are a lot of different models of stabilizers for the camera, but all of them are divided into two main classes, radically characterized by the principle of work. Accordingly, steadics can be either mechanical or electronic.
Mechanics certainly appeared earlier. Mechanical steedicams are often called manual for what they look like a freely floating lock for a camera with a handle. Removing with such equipment, the operator controls not so much the chamber itself as the holder. It works on the principle of classic scales – the place for fastening the camera is always in a horizontal position, and if you sharply twen the handle, the equipment will return to the “correct” position, but will make it smoothly, without lubricating the picture.
A professional gyrostabilizer of this type works on all axes, because it is called it – three-axis.
Those who wish to save and simply masters for all hands may well make a similar device even independently.
As it should be a powerful classic, the merits of the mechanical statedka mass. Here are just some of them:
- The mechanism is very simple, consists of a minimum of details, therefore it is relatively inexpensive;
- The mechanical steadics does not depend on the weather, it does not need to be waterproof, because it is not afraid of moisture getting into contact – here only a camera withstand;
- Such a stabilizer functions exclusively thanks to the elementary laws of physics, which seems to be a source of nutrition in its principle, and therefore it does not need recharge and can work unlimited time.
If you already think that you are in love with this type of instruments, be prepared for that, then there are also substantial flaws. First, the unit must be adjusted correctly, otherwise, instead of an ideal horizontal position, it will constantly transfer your chamber one or more planes. Secondly, with sharp turns, the rotating equipment can simply “not catch up” the frame, which must be photographed quickly, or inertia, first turn more than I would like to. In short, the mechanical steadics is very simple at first glance, but it still needs to be aimed.
The electronic unit acts in principle otherwise – in the correct position of the chamber returns electric motors. Deviations from the right position are determined by the sensors, so that even a scarlet angular distortion, which you would not notice the naked eye will be fixed and corrected. Electronic stabilizers are divided into two-axis and three-axis, the second, of course, give a much better picture than the first.
The advantages of using the electronic statedka are obvious. First of all, to customize them easily and simply, the “smart” instrument will tell you how it is better to send everything right. Thanks to this photo, and the video is obtained by the level of professional shooting – provided, of course, that you have a good camera, and that you set it up correctly.
But here, without flaws, it was not. First, technologically complex equipment a priori cannot cost cheaply – here it is not worth it. Secondly, the electronic steadics works due to the battery, and if it is discharged, the entire unit turns into a useless. Thirdly, most typical electronic stabilizers, as it should be the electrospode, are afraid of water contact. In the instructions for them, they specifically indicate that they are not suitable for shooting on the street in rainy weather.
Of course, there are waterproof models, but for quality, as it often happens, you will have to pay.
Of course, the best stabilizer, which would be equally good for any camera, does not exist in nature – in all cases it is necessary to adapt to the camera and the features of the shooting. However, under the same conditions and one model of removable equipment, certain steedicams will have an advantage over all other. In view of this, our rating will be quite conditional – a separate reader may not approach any of the models presented in the list. However, these are the best or very popular models in your classes that you just should not be ignored if they are suitable for the characteristics.
- Feiyu FY-G5. While everyone criticizes Chinese goods, it is the steadics of the Middle Kingdom that is considered millions of users the most compact among all three-axis – it weighs only 300 grams. By the way, it is not suited – about 14 thousand rubles, but he has a universal fastening where any camera can be attached.
- DJI OSMO MOBILE. Another “Chinese”, which by many is regarded as the best solution in terms of functionality and quality. It is true, even more expensive than the previous model – from 17 thousand rubles.
- Sjcam Gimbal. Among electronic models, it is often called the most accessible – if desired, it can be found for 10 thousand rubles with kopecks. Many consider the lack of an aggregate that it is only suitable for action cameras of the same manufacturer, but it is a pleasure to manage them, because the holder has the necessary buttons that allow you to do not reach the chamber.
- Xiaomi Yi. The stabilizer from the famous manufacturer attracts the attention of fans of this brand, which buy steadics to the camera of the same company. However, it is worth noting that at a price of 15 thousand rubles, the design is amazingly deprived of the holder, because it will be necessary to further buy a standard monopode or tripod.
- Steadicam. So, of course, it is impossible to do, but the enterprising Chinese decided to produce mechanical steadics under the brand, which is literally called. This somewhat complicates the search for the right product, but the designated model from aviation aluminum weighing 968 grams cost less than 3 thousand rubles, and in its category it is considered one of the best.
- Beholder MS-Pro. Stabilizers for professional needs are much larger, but have improved properties. For this model will have to give about 40 thousand rubles, but it is a magnificent, rare for amateur stages, a combination of lightness and strength. Aluminum unit with a modest weight of 700 grams can withstand a chamber weighing up to 1.2 kilograms.
- Zhiyun Z1 Evolution. For an electronic stabilizer, it is very important to work as long as possible without additional recharging, it is this model that is 10 thousand rubles, as it is impossible to meet this requirement. The battery has a good capacity in 2000 ma * h, and a generous manufacturer, just in case, also added two such supplies.
- Zhiyun Crane-M. The same manufacturer as in the previous case, but another model. This steadics, for 20 thousand rubles, are often called the best for small cameras in the range of weight 125-650 grams, it is also often used to stabilize smartphones.
In this case, the supplier also decided to put two batteries into the box, and the period of operation of each of them is estimated on average at 12 o’clock.
How to choose?
By purchasing a stabilizer for a camcorder, it is necessary to understand that the existing variety of models is not just like that, and choose among them a conditional best copy, for all occasions of life, it is impossible. It all depends on what needs you acquire the steadics. From the above, it was possible to conclude that the electronic steadics seem to be more relevant for professional video filming, in general it is true – it is easier and easier to adjust.
However, even this criterion depends greatly on the situation, and if you do not take off some kind of action in its very epicenter, then the mechanics may well be enough.
In any case, when choosing it is to focus on quite specific criteria that we consider in more detail.
- For which camera (mirrorless or mirror) suits this model. The compound of a steadicam with the camera itself should be as reliable as possible, ensuring that removing the instrument on a sharp turn does not separate from the holder. At the same time, some stabilizers are released with an eye on a specific camera model – they provide better clutch, but do not fit alternative equipment. Most of the models presented in the market have a standard connector and are suitable for all cameras.
- Gabarits. Stabilizer is hardly needed at home – this is an equipment that takes with you on business trips, travel, on trips. Therefore, compactness for such an aggregate is undoubtedly a big plus. No matter how paradoxically, but it is small steedicams usually more technologically – if only because the mechanics are always vital, but no additional functions have no.
- Permissible load. Cameras can differ significantly by weight – all sorts of Gopro are easily fit in the palm and weigh the corresponding, and professional cameras are not always placed on the shoulder at a strong man. Obviously, the steadics should be chosen, given that he can withstand the weight of the removable equipment that they want to fasten.
- Weight. In most cases, the steadics with the camera fixed on it hold on the elongated hand. This position of the hand is largely unnatural, the limb can be tired even if you don’t keep anything in it. If the equipment is also heavy, too long to shoot without fluids it will not be possible, and sometimes it’s just criminal. For this reason, the lightweight models of steedicates are appreciated above – the hand is tired of them.
- Work time without recharging. This criterion is relevant only when choosing electronic stages, since the mechanics do not have a power source at all, and therefore it is able to “break” any electronic competitor. Saving on a battery with a small capacity, you risks to be in a situation where the stabilizer is, and it is impossible to use it.
Consumers are often asked as to which model to choose for mirror and mesmerous types of cameras. In this sense, there is no fundamental difference – focus only on the criteria that are given above.
How to make it yourself?
Probably, such a person who would have been born at home, with their own hands, would construct an electronic stabilizer. Nevertheless, the design of his mechanical fellow and the principle of its work is so simple that the task no longer looks insoluble. Homemade stages, made diligently, is unlikely to be very worse than inexpensive Chinese models, and it will be hung in a darling penny. It should be understood that it is still not worth waiting for a terrific result from such handicraft products, therefore it makes sense to additionally handle video through video edits.
Theoretically, you can experiment with any priest materials, but in most cases the reliable and durable unit is collected, of course, from metal. It is noted that the simplest mechanical stabilizers give a better result with an increase in mass, because it is difficult to count on the fact that the final product will be easy, it is unlikely to have.
Metal blanks should be made horizontal and vertical strip. Stiffness is required for both – swinging weights do not have to rock the horizontal bar to which they are suspended, and the vertical bar must successfully resist withrsion and bending. Among themselves, they are connected by a screw connection designed to change the angle between them it was easy and without additional tools, developed and again twisting individual parts. The camera will be attached to the vertical bar. Set up the device is necessary on an ordinary bubble level, or if the removable instrument can so much, according to its sensors.
The length of the horizontal strip is needed as possible – the farthehead of the tracks suspended along the edges of the bar from each other, the better the stabilization. At the same time, fragments of the stabilizer should not fall into the frame even with a minimum focal length, and it imposes certain limitations to the maximum permissible length of the design. It would be possible to solve the problem by lengthening the vertical plank with a higher point of fastening the camera, but it would make the design of too cumbersome.
As loads, any small, but at the same time enough heavy items, including ordinary plastic bottles filled with sand. The exact mass of the weights that will ensure reliable and high-quality stabilization can only be determined by experimental – Too much depends on the weight and dimensions of the camera, as well as from the length of the horizontal plank and even the shape of the weights themselves. In homemade designs for the chambers weighing about 500-600 grams, a homemade stabilizer with weights easily can weigh a more kilogram.
For the convenience of operation to the design, in different places, fasten the handles bolts that can be purchased at a small price. Where exactly to place them, in which amount (for one hand, for two), depends only on the flight of the designer’s fantasy and the features of its camera, including its dimensions and weight. At the same time, before the final assembly, it is necessary to fully make sure that even with the minimum focal length, the handle does not fall into the frame.
Many self-taught designers note that the correctly made hard inertial steadics, it turns out to be more practical and more reliable than inexpensive pendulum models from the store. With the correct miscalculation of the dimensions and weight of the STEDICA Camera will issue a normal picture, even if the operator runs on the bodies. At the same time, the management of the design is extremely simple – when the shaking, the handle must be cleaned stronger, and when it decreases it, the grip can be loosen.
About how to choose the steadics, look next.