Even the most powerful speakers are useless without a good amplifier capable of providing correct sound transmission, a wide frequency range and a high signal level. Premium Japanese equipment provides almost the perfect sound quality, but until the most Russian audiophiles are not familiar to the majority of Russian audiophiles. Therefore, it is worth considering the features and an assortment of ONKYO amplifiers.
Onkyo was founded in the Japanese city of Osaka in 1946. Since its inception, the company has been developing and issuing various audio equipment. Even the name of the company was chosen so as to emphasize the sphere of its activity, because “ON” translates from Japanese as “sound”, and “KYO” – as “harmony”. Already in 1950. The company has released its first Hi-Fi product, namely the OP-670 Player 4-Speed. In 1955. Production of stereoxylters. And in 1970. The first representative of the model range of Integra – Amplifier A725. In 2015. A Japanese company’s successful and well-known Japanese company acquired a division of the famous Pioneer company, which occupied the release of AV receivers and Blue-Ray players.
As of 2019, almost 2000 people work in the company, and its annual turnover exceeds 55 billion dollars. Now all the products of the company are supplied under two brands – actually onkyo (under it are based on basic and more budget models) and Integra (this line includes upgraded versions of basic amplifiers, Adapted for use as embedded and having a wider functionality).
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of Japanese amplifiers include:
- the highest quality assembly;
- Elegant design and convenient minimalist management;
- Application of the most modern electronic components;
- coordination of the characteristics of semiconductor elements located on different channels;
- stabilization of voltage due to the installation of toroidal transformers;
- Durable body housing;
- The highest quality sound, regardless of the selected model – there are no “good and expensive” and “bad and cheap options” assortment, the whole product manufactured by the company provides a clean sound, and the differences between models are mainly reduced to power and additional functions;
- parallel two-stroke architecture on a 3-cascade scheme, and only discrete elements are used in the output stage;
- In AV receiver supported modern Dolby and Audissey DSX technologies.
This technique has several drawbacks, the most noticeable of which:
- high price – Almost all amplifiers belong to premium segment and more expensive than not only Chinese and European analogues, but also products of other Japanese firms (for example, Sony);
- Difficulties with maintenance and repair – The official representation of the company is open only in the IOCA, in other cities an authorized repair is engaged in the company At Trade, which is far from all regions of the Russian Federation;
- No informal firmware with advanced functionality and small choice of official;
- Audissey DSX Receivers Does not support the generation of additional rear channels, so for a full dive will have to look for entries from 7.1-channels.
The range of the company is very wide, while in the Russian market are quite accessible both all topical models and filmed options. Therefore, consider an overview of the most popular of them.
- PA-MC5501 – 9-channel amplifier for HI-FI home-cinema systems with a power of 220 W / channel with a distortion coefficient THD + N is only 0.05%. Implementation of WRAT technology provides a wide frequency range (from 5 Hz to 100 kHz). Thanks to the huge power and high gain quality, it has a THX ULTRA2 Plus certificate. A gilt is applied to the connectors, providing high-quality contact and no noise.
Does not support balance, timbre and sound, so requires connection to AV-receiver.
- PR-RZ5100 Black – Pre-amplifier for home theaters, providing a 13-channel connection (format 11.2). It has the THX Ultra2 Plus certificate, supports DTS: X, DTS Neural: X and Dolby ATMOS. It has the function of automatic calibration of the ACCUEQ speakers using a configuration microphone. Equipped with 8 HDMI inputs, 4 video inputs, 5 digital and 7 analog audio inputs, Phono MM Login, full USB input, and WiFi, Bluetooth and Ethernet input, which allows you to integrate it in the home audio video system of any complexity. VLSC technology provides high sound cleanliness. Decoding a variety of video formats, including supports 4K / 60 Hz, HDR10 / Dolby Vision and 3D.
- A-9150 Silver – Integral stereoSiller with an output power of 60 W / channel with a distortion coefficient of 0.08%. Frequency range – from 10 Hz to 100 kHz. Provides adjustment of the timbre of amplitude of ± 10 dB for both low and high frequencies. Equipped with 4 RCA-inputs, 2 coaxial inputs, 2 audio optical inputs and a separate MM / MC connector. Spectramodule technology provides rapid growth rate above 500 V / μs, which allows you to save linearity even in a high-frequency range. In combination with DIDRC filters, it gives excellent sound quality high frequency.
Built-in DAC 768 kHz / 32 bits provides high quality gain digital sources.
- A-9000R Black – Integral stereoSiller with a capacity of 140 W / Channel with distortions of 0.006%. Equipped with 5 analog RCA-inputs, 2 coaxial digital inputs, 1 optical audio input, balanced digital AES / EBU input, MM / MC input and USB port, which allows you to connect almost any sound equipment without using a mixer. Each of the channels uses a separate DAC 192 kHz / 24-bit. The enhanced housing with anti-vibration elements allows you to exclude any noises and distortion.
Connection and operation
When connecting any signal sources, you should carefully examine the maximum power level for each of the inputs specified in the instructions. The same applies to the characteristics of the columns connected to the output. ONKYO technique is able to provide a very high level of power, which in improper coordination can cause damage to the columns.
Connect the amplifier to the TV is better with HDMI cables.
In the next video, you will be waiting for an ONKYO A-9150 integral amplifier review.