Wired and Bluetooth headphones with a system of active noise reduction attract more and more attention to true lovers of high-quality music. These devices are created for inborn individualists who want to abstract from the surrounding world – they completely cut out external noise, allow you to clearly hear the speech of the interlocutor when talking in public transport.
Choose the best option among the manual manifolds on the market is extremely difficult. However, take the optimal solution will help the rating of the best wireless and wired noise-canceling models.
For what is needed?
Headphones with active noise reduction are a real alternative to other ways to combat external interference. The presence of such a system makes it possible not to isolate a completely cup, eliminates the need to increase the volume to the maximum when listening to music. Noise-canceling headphones are used in sports and tactical disciplines, on the hunt, in other areas of activity. For the first time on the invention, such acoustic systems thought in the first half of the 20th century. The real results appeared much later. Officially, the first noise-raising headphones in the version of the headset were used already in the 80s of the XX century, in the space and aviation industries.
The creator of the first real models was Amar Bose, today known as the founder of the company BOSE. Modern noise reduction headphones are used not only when listening to music. They are in demand by operators of call centers and the organizers of “hot lines”, bikers and drivers, pilots and airport staff. In production, they are recommended to use machine operators. Unlike passive variants, fully quenching surrounding sounds, active noise-canceling headphones allow you to hear the phone signal or talk, while Excessively loud noises will be cut off.
Principle of operation
The active suppression of noise in the headphones is based on a system that captures sounds in a specific frequency range. The wave coming from the microphone, it copies, setting her the same amplitude, but using a mirror reflected phase. Acoustic oscillations are mixed, pushing each other. The effect obtained is noise reduction.
The design of the system is as follows.
- External microphone or sound broker. It is on the back of the headset.
- Electronics responsible for audio inverting. It seizures and sends a processed signal back to the speaker. In the headphones, DSP processors perform this role.
- Battery. It can be a battery or a regular battery.
- Speaker. It reproduces the music in headphones in parallel with the noise reduction system.
It is worth considering that active noise reduction works only within a certain frequency range: from 100 to 1000 Hz. That is, there are noises, like a hum of passing transport, whistle, people talking around and eliminate.
In the presence of additional passive insulation, headphones cut up to 70% of all surrounding sounds.
All headphones with a system of active noise cancellation can be divided into several categories, according to the type of power and execution, appointment. For example, consumer models are distinguished, sports (for rifle competitions), hunting, construction. Each type allows you to completely isolate the hearing organs from the volume of volume dangerous when playing noise.
By type of construction, several types of headphones are distinguished.
- Inserts with noise cancellation unit on cable. These are inserted headphones having a low level of insulation from external interference. They are cheaper than the rest.
- Plug-free wireless. These are intra-channel headphones in which their design itself provides good protection against external interference. By virtue of its miniature, the product does not have a large electronic module for suppressing noise, its effectiveness is quite small.
- Overhead. These are headphones with partial overlapping of ear shell with cups. Most often found in wired execution.
- Full-sized closed. They are combined actually insulation of the cup and the external noise suppression system. As a result, the sound quality can be raised to a significant height. This is the most effective solution among the available options, occurs in a wired and wireless version.
This option provides for the connection of an external accessory (headphones, headset) through the cable. It is usually inserted at a 3.5 mm jack connector. Cable connection provides more reliable data transfer. Such headphones have no autonomous food, they rarely equip the headset for conversations.
Modern models of noise-canceling headphones are autonomous headsets, often they are even able to work separately. They are equipped with built-in rechargeable batteries, do not need wired connections. In such headphones, you can achieve a combination of high levels of noise cancellation and compact envelope.
Rating the best models
Elimination of external interference, wind hum, sounds from passing machines requires the use of modern technology. Earphones with active noise canceling or ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) are able to remove up to 90% of external sounds with volume above 100 dB.
Models with microphone and bluetooth are becoming a real salvation in winter, allowing you not to remove the phone from the pocket during a conversation. Disassemble in all the varieties of the proposals presented in the market and choose the best of them will help review headphones with a system of active noise reduction.
- BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II. These are headphones from the brand, which first in the world began to make equipment with noise reduction. They are most comfortable – in the conditions of a long airfare, the daily life of the device does not lose touch with the signal source, support AAC codecs, SBC, wired connection. Noise reduction is implemented on several levels, in the kit there is a NFC module for a quick pairing, you can connect immediately to 2 sources of the signal. Headphones work up to 20 hours without recharging.
- Sony WH-1000XM3. In comparison with the list leader, these headphones have obvious “gaps” in the sound on medium and high frequencies, otherwise this model is almost perfect. Excellent noise reduction, autonomous work up to 30 hours, support most of the existing codecs – all these advantages are quite characteristic of SONY products. The model is full-size, with comfortable amop, design is made in a modern, recognizable brand style.
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H9i. The most expensive and stylish wireless noise-canceling headphones having a replaceable battery. Full-size cups, genuine leather in the finish, the ability to adjust the range of filter sounds of sound make this model one of the best.
- Sennheiser HD 4.50btnc. Full-size folding headphones with a Bluetooth module and a wired connection capability with a sound source. The noise reduction system is implemented at the highest level, the sound with bright bass does not lose other frequencies, always remains excellent. There is a NFC module for quick connection, APTX support.
Headphones will be enough to work for 19 hours, with a disconnected noise reduction – up to 25 hours.
- JBL Tune 600BTNC. Full-size noise-canceling headphones with a wide selection of colors (there are even pink), comfortable and dense landing. The model is positioned as sports, costs several times less competitors, ensures efficient noise reduction. The sound is implemented exactly, there is some advantage towards bass. Interesting and stylish design is designed for a youth audience. Headphones can be connected via cable.
- Bowers & Wilkins PX. Wireless noise-raising medium-level headphones, distinguished by an attractive design and balanced sound suitable for different musical styles. The model has a fairly large stock of the battery for autonomous work (up to 22 hours), push-button control, convenient for a long wearing inclusion.
- Sony WF-1000XM3. Vacuum headphones with active noise reduction – best in its class due to optimal ergonomics and convenient landing. Model is fully wireless, with a full-fledged moisture protection, NFC module and a battery for 7 hours of autonomous work. 2 options for coloring, white and black, noise cancellation level can be adjusted at the request of the user. The sound is clear, pure at all frequencies, bass sounds most convincing.
- BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 20. Wired intracanal headphones with active noise reduction – it is implemented through a special outdoor unit. Open-type model, with the disabled ANC function ensure excellent hearing. The sound quality is worthy, characteristic of BOSE, in the kit there is a case, interchangeable incubusers, everything you need to reliably connect to the sound source.
- Beats Studio 3 Wireless. Full-size wireless model, designed for 22 hours of autonomous operation. In addition to effective noise reduction, these headphones have the most impressive bass – the remaining frequencies on this background are quite pale. External data is also at the height, despite the entire plastic case; There are several variants of colors, empty, but quite tight – wearing them, without removing 2-3 hours, it will be difficult. In general, you can call Beats Studio 3 Wireless a good choice in the price range up to $ 400, but you will have to pay here solely for the brand.
- Xiaomi Mi Anc Type-C in-Ear Earphones. Cheap wired intra-channel headphones with a standard noise reduction system. They work pretty good for their class, but the surrounding voices will be heard, only the external buzz from transport or whistle wind will be filtered. Headphones are compact, attractive look, in combination with the phones of the same brand you can get the most high-quality sound.
When choosing headphones with a system of active noise reduction It is very important to pay attention to certain parameters affecting the efficiency of the equipment.
- Connection method. Wired models should be purchased with a length of at least 1.3 m long, a M-shaped plug, a wire with a reliable braid. Wireless headphones are better to choose among Bluetooth models with a reception range of at least 10 m. The battery capacity is important – the higher it is, the longer the headphones will be able to work autonomously.
- Purpose. For those who lead an active lifestyle, a vacuum type neckbooks will be suitable, providing optimal fixation when running, sports. For gamers and music lovers, home use can be selected full-sized or overhead models with a convenient headband.
- Specifications. The most important for headphones with active noise reduction will be such parameters like sensitivity, impedance – here you need to focus on the device manufacturer recommendations, operating frequency range.
- Management type. It can be a push-button or touch. The first control is implied by the possibilities for switching tracks or increase the volume by pressing the physical keys. Sensory models have a sensitive surface of the housing, control is performed by touch (taps) or swipes.
- Brand. Among the firms producing better products in this category – Bose, Sennheiser, Sony, Philips.
- The presence of a microphone. If headphones are used as a headset, you should immediately consider only models with this optional component. It will come in handy for conversations by phone, participation in online games, video call communication. There are both wired options and wireless headphones. It should not be assumed that the presence of a microphone in the noise reduction system will provide free communication – for negotiations it should work as a headset.
Following the recommendations will ensure the correct search and selection of the most suitable headphones with an active noise reduction system.
About how noise reduction in headphones works, see the following video.