One of the most valuable and famous types of marble is Karrara. In fact, under this title, many varieties are combined, which are produced in the vicinity of Carrara – Cities in Northern Italy. This material is actively used in construction, when creating sculptures or for interior design.
There are more than 100 varieties of marble of various shades. Carrara is the highest quality and expensive among them. The word “marble” translates from Greek as “shining”. It is a crystal breed that includes dolomite or calcite, depending on the species. The only place on the ground, where such a stone is mined – Carrara in the Italian province of Tuscany.
Material value all over the world. His features are beauty and decorativeness. Carrara marble known to a snow-white tint. However, its color sometimes happens to others – it can have different gradations between white and gray shades.
This stone has thin and winding bodies.
There is a classification of types of carrarian marble.
- The first group includes low quality material. There are grades of Bianco Carrara, Bargello. This stone is used to decorate those projects where a large amount of marble is needed.
- The second group is a variety of class Junior Suite: Statteruretto, Bravo Venato, Palisandro.
- The third group unites the highest quality varieties. This is the most expensive material. The best varieties include Kalakat, Michelangelo, Kalia, Statutario, Portoro.
Italian marble easily to handle has a fine-grained or medium-trimmed structure. The use of varieties related to the first group allows you to actively apply marble from Italy for housekeeping for a reasonable price. For this purpose, the variety of Bianca Carrara is often used. When they talk about the deposit in Carrara, many believe that this is one stone array.
In fact, we are talking about many isolated workings in a mountain range, giving stones of different colors and quality. They differ in the degree of white background and residence features. Although the overwhelming majority of the mined stone has white or gray, the material of dark purple, blue, peach shades come across. By the way, the famous Medici Marble, which has characteristic dark purple breats.
Where and how to get?
This stone can be extracted only in the vicinity of the city of Carrara in Northern Italy. The city appeared in the form of a small village in the 10th century, however, marble was mined long before that, during the entire Roman period. From the V century because of the raids of the barbarians did not produce. It was resumed in the middle of the XII century. After the order of this stone for the construction of the Baptistery in Pisa, it became very popular in Europe. It is mined in the Apuan Alps – a mountain range of 60 km long.
To separate the marble slab, the mechanism cuts the stone, creating a network of slots of a depth of 2-3 meters. One block length can reach 18-24 meters. Stone remove with cranes.
In ancient times, mining was organized differently. Workers expanded natural cracks in a stone, dividing it into pieces. Finished blocks moved in two ways:
- The stone slid along the boards moistened with soapy solution, while the material was often damaged, and employees received serious injuries;
- Under the blocks put round wooden parts – the stone moved due to their rotation.
Now, to cut a stone, usually use wheels without teeth, made of high strength steel. While working, they are abundantly watered with sand with sand. Sometimes a wire saw is used for this purpose. In Carrara there is a marble museum, founded in 1982. It is described about the mining history, workshop equipment for stone processing. Here are copies of famous sculptures made from this stone.
Over the centuries, the stone was used to create the greatest works of art.
- From it was built by the “Temple of All Gods” (Pantheon) – a monument to the Roman architecture of the heyday. It was used when creating a Hindu temple in Delhi, a mosque in Abu Dhabi.
- This material used famous sculptors of humanity. Michelangelo created the statue of David at the beginning of the XVI century. He performed it from one block of marble five-meter length. Statue installed in Florence on Signoria Square.
- Another masterpiece made from this material is the composition of the Petail, located in the Vatican. The Virgin Mary was depicted here, which holds in the hands of lifeless Jesus. Sculptor masterfully depicted even the smallest details of the composition.
However, the place of this material can be found not only in world masterpieces, but also in the usual house. Carrara marble is considered one of the best finishing materials in the world. The use of stylish marble interiors and other types of stone has become very common. An example is the kitchen table tabletop from Carrarsky marble. If it is supplemented by apron from this material, the kitchen will become not only stylish, but also acquires a very expensive view.
Using a diode backlight, you can visually create the impression that the stone is weightless. The material is actively used when placing bathrooms. From it make wall tiles, sinks and countertops. The bathroom finds a combination of carrarsky marble and glass. Glass partitions are cleaned by the massiveness and monumentality of stone parts. If you make a bathroom from such marble, it will serve for a long time, emphasizing the luxury of the interior.
It is believed that the service life of this material reaches 80 years and more. In the interior of the living room, it can be applied as an outdoor and wall tile. From it can be made countertops, fireplace facades. This material can be used for design design both in classical and in modern style. Carrara marble combines sophistication with practicality and durability. Suitable for creating both large and small items.
The presence in the design of the premises of such a material creates an aura of breathing centuries, the feeling of touching the ancient Roman history.