Professional builders and people who follow the changes in the finishing materials market first learn about the novelties. For those who face them for the first time, a number of questions may arise regarding their features and applications. One of these materials is foil polyethylene foam, as well known as Penophol.
Features of the material
This foil building material has a significant advantage over others due to double action: prevents moisture penetration and maintains heat using an aluminum insertion. Consisting of foamed polyethylene layer, covered with fine aluminum foil, foam works on the principle of thermos.
This material with high hydraulic and thermal insulation replaces the usual insulation and polyethylene, which were used everywhere during construction and repair.
Foamed polyethylene underlying foams has a thickness of 0.2-1 cm and may have a different structure and density. A foil with a thickness of 20 microns is applied to such a basis with a heat welding, the purity of this foil must be at least 99.4%.
The main technical characteristics of the material are:
- water absorption of 0.3-0.7% of the total volume;
- reflection of heat 95-97%;
- Depending on the variety, the thermal conductivity coefficient is from 0.31 to 0.51;
- Material retains its properties when temperatures range from -60 degrees to + 100.
Pros and cons
The main function of this multilayer material is to protect a certain design or space from various environmental impacts. This non-combustible building material has many advantages.
- Universality. Penofol apply not only to preserve heat and protection against moisture. It has high vapor and sound insulation, allowing you to reduce the use of a large number of different films. The product can be used both indoors and outdoor, as it is not afraid of moisture.
- Subtlety of material. Penofol thickness at times less than many similar insulation. When installing, even in the most tiny room, you can not worry for the reduction of residential space.
- Wide selection. The material is presented on the market a wide range of species. Therefore, it is easy to pick up exactly the one that is necessary for current work and taking into account specific conditions.
- Quality level. The material is made using the most modern technologies, which allows you to lower the heat loss of only up to 4%. In winter indoors, trimmed by foam, it will be warm, and in the summer – cool.
- Easy mounting. Material produced in rolls, easy and plastic. This allows you to cope with the work even in the most difficult areas to a person who does not have experience in the construction sector. This building material, unlike old insulation, does not need a framework. It can be glued directly on the draft wall, and you can cut with conventional scissors.
- Ecology. Unlike mineral wool, you can even work with foam, since it does not cause any irritation on the skin. Such a heater can be safely used even for mounting in kindergartens and schools.
- Practically does not burn. It can be described as a reflective.
- Without parasites. This insulation does not serve as a stern or house nor rodents none insect.
- Simple transportation. The weight of one roll of foam is so small that it can be easily carried away in his hands all the way from the construction store to the house. Material is difficult to deform or break.
- Radiation protection. Is hardly unnecessary insulating material that can reflect radiation impact. Such an effect is achieved at the expense of aluminum foil and is necessary for some industrial facilities.
Unfortunately, with all its positive properties, Penophol has some shortcomings. Due to the soft surface of the material, the finishing of the plaster is impossible, as it simply does not hold on it and it is easy to break. Installation of such insulation with metal brackets will violate its integrity and can reduce heat and waterproofing characteristics. It is necessary either to acquire it on a self-adhesive basis, or to plant a special composition, which is purchased separately.
Despite the high heat conservation indicator, the material is recommended to be used in conjunction with other insulation.
The ibery insulation is presented on the market with various models, which are denoted by the letter marking A, B, C, ALP, R, M, AIR and Super Net. The most popular are the first three types of foam.
- The letter a speaks to the buyer that foamed polyethylene is covered with foil only on the one hand. A-Penofol is recommended to combine with other insulation.
- In foenophol, Unlike the first, bilateral and can be applied without additional materials.
- Letter S written on a self-adhesive product. Moisture-proof glue allows you to lay material on a rough surface without additional materials and tools.
- Marking Alp Applied to the foam, which is often called “laminated”. Since polyethylene coating is applied to aluminum, it is like a foil sheet sealed in a transparent coating. Such material is used in a non-aggressive environment and agricultural construction.
- R, M. The coating of the material is made on the one hand, but it is corrugated.
- AIR-Penofol Mounted in aircraft structures and rooms.
- Super Net Used with the insulation of communication networks, since “NET” from the English “network”.
Also in the construction market you can find a material called “Penofol 2000”, which is much cheaper than the usual species. However, professionals do not recommend using this analogue, since according to the characteristics it is significantly inferior to any labeling of standard material.
Rolls of such material may differ in size depending on the type.
- For all types of material, except ALP, standard is the thickness of 3 mm to 5 mm, as well as 8 mm and 10 mm. Their width of 1200 mm remains unchanged, and the length varies from 15 m to 30 m in one roll.
- Alp foam is produced with a thickness of 3 mm, a width of 580 mm and a roll length of 15 m.
Since this is a registered trademark, produces its exclusively plant “Lit”. But this insulation in the construction market can be easily found a replacement. Materials such as isolon, thermal, magnoflex and porilex can be used both to preserve heat and impede moisture penetration. Some materials can be even more economical than foam, however, in terms of quality and quantity of properties, it exceeds all of the above.
The price of foamed insulation depends on the thickness of the material, marking and roll length. Classic A-Penofol has the cost of 160 rubles. per square meter, in-foam costs from 180 rubles. For the same Metrap. And self-adhesive thermal insulators are presented in the market in the price category from 230 rubles. per square meter and above.
Scope of application
Since the technical characteristics of the foamed heat insulator make it possible to achieve essential results, the foamphol is widely used for the insulation of various communications and industrial premises. According to buyers’ reviews, it also copes with the tasks and in ordinary homes and apartments.
With the help of foamed polyethylene, coated with foil, the following structures and structures can be insulated:
- insulation of walls from the inside and outside the room;
- the creation of a warm floor, the organization of warm loggias and ceilings;
- thermal insulation of various boilers, expansion tanks and refrigerators due to the thick layer of foil;
- for mounting from the inside of the roof when carrying out roofing;
- thermal and water insulation during the construction of saunas and baths;
- Protection of ventilation systems, air ducts and other engineering communications.
In addition to the above, the foam insulates various heated and open warehouses and hangars, isolate vans and wagons. The material is placed under the batteries so that it shields outgoing heat.
Tips for mounting
So that the foam opens all its useful properties, it must be fixed correctly. For each finish type there are nuances of mounting. For example, for insulation and insulation of the inner walls, the sequence of work is one, and for the exterior – the other.
To insulate the walls from the inside, first of all, it is necessary to build a wooden wagon frame. Such a design will allow to maintain a small space (about 20 mm) before and after the insulation, which will help to show the technical characteristics of the foamed insulator. Most often, indoors are used with a foil foam with a thickness of up to 5 mm, but if necessary, it is possible to glue and more expensive material with a thickness of up to 10 mm.
Frame rails are mounted in a step greater than a few millimeters of the roll of foam roll to easily lay it in the resulting strips. Nevertheless, the step should be no more than 1000 mm.
After mounting the frame, it is very important to check all the wiring and communications. If necessary, they can be wasolate them additionally, clearly following the foil foil metal not in contact directly with wire.
If there is no need for additional insulation, then you can immediately begin the fastening of the material on the frame using a construction stapler. Do not put the foamed polyethylene flashes, as this can lead to the formation of steam and condensate flowing through the connecting seams.
After the insulation is laid, it is necessary to mount the second frame, leaving a layer of free space in 20 mm. Encourage such a frame can be plasterboard, which is subsequently painted or covered by wallpaper with glue. Each roll also depicts a small installation and operation instructions, which is also recommended to learn. For the insulation of the floor inside the room, the penophol can be mounted directly on the draft floor under the screed, which will allow you to put on top of your favorite coating.
The insulation of the outer walls and communications is carried out with the help of foam, which is planting special glue. Newcomers should be used more expensive view of the self-adhesive insulation, with which it is easier to work than with conventional species. Installation begins with preparatory work: the surface of the walls must be cleaned, concrete is slightly polished, the tree is treated with antiseptics. Installation is best done with dry warm weather.
As with internal insulation, the installation of foam from the outside begins with the construction of a wooden frame. Fix the rails to the draft wall can be ordinary self-stakes, and the jokes of the laid material should be punctured by a special aluminum scotch for greater waterproofing.
You should not use conventional nails or brackets, as it will break the integrity of the insulating material and will allow moisture to get on the draft wall, despite the laid insulator.
When laying a roll material, do not forget about the airspace you need to leave for the foam and in front of it. If, in the process of work, the material turned out to be cut in the wrong place, it is easy to fix taking advantage of scotch, which were attached to the seams. For higher indicators of heat conservation, the foam can be laid in two or three layers.
The next step is mounted, the outer framework on which various finishing materials are attached. Most often on a warmed surface mounted siding or professional flooring. The insulation of an open balcony or loggia is carried out according to a similar algorithm with the only difference that the foam in such cases is mounted.
Summing up, it can be said that the appearance of such material on the market has significantly simplified the solution of many problems. With a thickness of only 5-10 mm, it has unique indicators of heat, hydro, steam and noise insulation. Of course, the choice of insulation depends on the specific situation and personal preferences of the buyer, but the presence of a large list of advantages today makes foams one of the leaders of the building materials market.
On how to fix the foam to the wall, look in the video below.