Residents of the post-Soviet space stalls associate flat roof with multi-storey model houses. Modern architectural thought does not stand still, and now there are many solutions of private houses and cottages with a flat roof looking no less interesting than scanty structures.
One-storey house with a flat roof has a stylish and modern view. Basically, such structures are stylized by a special way, choosing the directions of minimalism or high-tech. Traditional styles for buildings with such a roof will not fit, because they properly beat such roofs turned out quite recently, therefore, any of the classic directions will look here ridiculous.
Of particular interest is how the roof is used: either in their intended purpose, or as an additional open tier terrace. Need to decide in advance with this question to competently draw up a project plan.
For the construction of 1-storey cottages with a flat roof, various materials are used, but it is worth keeping in mind that they are not all suitable for the Russian climate. In winter, almost throughout Russia drops a large amount of snow, which greatly increases the load on the flat roof. Therefore, it is impossible to make walls from the lungs and not enough durable materials. In this regard, popular frameworks are not suitable, but there is another prefabricated option.
Different materials for overlapping and walls. If almost all durable types (monolith, brick, wood) are suitable for the walls, then the roof will have to choose the type of building raw materials more carefully.
Reinforced concrete plates
Empty or flat reinforced concrete plates are used in modern construction for floors. They have sufficient strength to withstand the weight of a flat roof.
Plates have many positive qualities:
- good sound and thermal insulation characteristics;
- installation speed;
- Corrosion resistant.
The main minus material is that it is produced only in typical sizes, it must be taken into account yet when creating a project. Reinforced concrete plates are suitable for overlaps only in the house that has a strengthened foundation.
For overlaps, a special professional flooring is used, which is called carrier. Like the previous version, it is perfect for laying as a flat roof. Borrowing professional flooring is very popular mainly due to its cheapness. This material costs significantly less than everyone else. However, the low price did not interfere with it to prove himself as a durable and universal material, which has excellent ability to withstand large loads, which are undergoing a flat roof.
Borrowing professional flooring weighs much less than reinforced concrete plates, so optimally suitable for creating flat roofs in an average climatic belt with a small amount of precipitation in winter.
This material is used for overlapping quite rarely due to the complexity of the installation. Here you need to prepare the mixture first, after which you can make fill. This is only the real professionals of your business. However, it should be noted that the monolithic concrete as a flat roof is perfectly exploited, but only provided that the manufacturing and installation technology was fully respected.
Modern single-storey houses with a flat roof are not customary to build from traditional materials. To do this, modern developments are best suited and having a harsh winter, and summer heat. At the same time working with them is easy, and the construction itself does not take much time.
Sip or Sandwich Panel
In the catalog of each respective construction agency there are typical projects of single-storey houses with a flat roof of sip-panels. Please note that cottages from this material are best ordered. Construction requires compliance with special technology, so newcomer working with sandwich panels can be difficult.
Speaking about the merits of panel houses, their low thermal conductivity and high noise insulating characteristics can be noted. Construction costs much to a smaller amount than brick. At the same time, the rejection of the pitched roof also plays a considerable role.
We all accustomed to see flat roofs only from high-rise houses of Soviet buildings. Among the many there is an opinion that such roofs are boring, and the real house must be equipped with only the pitched roof. In the light of the latest architectural developments with this conviction, you can argue, especially if you recall the numerous advantages of such roofs.
It is impossible not to make a reservation that one-story houses with a flat roof will be stylized only in the modern direction. The plane roof itself looks futuristic, and you need to use this free space.
Among the advantages of flat roofs there are many characteristics.
- Easy mounting. Flat-sample roofing structures can be performed in record time.
- Reliability. If you organize the roof in the right way, it will be able to withstand a big weight. At the same time, in the case of which the repair of such a design is much easier than fixing the solo system.
- Excellent thermal insulation. Regardless which type of flat roof design was chosen, it will preserve heat inside the house.
- Cheapness. Compared to scanty, flat constructs are much cheaper both by materials and time consumption.
- Easy equipment installation. Antennas, air conditioners, various service communications on the plane will arrange much easier than under the slope.
- Interesting view. If the house itself is decorated in the style of “minimalism”, then the laconic roof without a skate will perfectly complement the general view.
- Additional area. If desired, the roof can be strengthened and used to organize space under the playground, garden or recreation area. Some even make a swimming pool here.
Minuses are not so much, but still they are.
- No matter how good the roof is, there is always a chance that it will leak. In the case of a flat design, the risk increases many times, because it is exposed to large loads due to the fact that the snow does not roll.
- If you plan to use the lid for your needs in winter, snow and score will have to be finished manually.
- The construction of the roof of a flat sample should be carried out with the full compliance with the technology, otherwise there is a risk that it will leak or can endure loads and collapse.
Unknown roofs are divided into several criteria, among which – the method of use and type of laying of materials. As a rule, the name of each of the characteristics speaks for itself.
By way of use
Roofs are exploited and non-exploitable.
Operated roofs – those used not only as roofs, but also as an additional space for pastime. Here are used enhanced systems, allowing not only to place heavy inventory on the roof, but even organize “green corner” here, planting lawn, flowers and even trees. Equipment of the design of this type is quite a lot, while it is important to put in advance in the project, what kind of weight load will be roofing.
Non-exploited roofs cost much cheaper due to the fact that they do not need to be additionally reinforced and equipped with waterproofing. The only thing to pay attention to – snow loads that will be roofing in winter.
It is generally not recommended to walk on such roofs, so it is necessary to calculate everything so that the roof can withstand the snow layer without its periodic cleansing.
By laying materials
Classic, inversion and breathable roofs differ.
Classic types are commonly used in the design of non-exploitable roofs. This is due to the fact that they have a smaller resistance coefficient of loads. Moisture or mechanical impacts can be destructive for these roofs.
The layout layout scheme looks like (from top to bottom):
- Upper weld material (waterproofing);
- Bottom fill material (waterproofing);
- screed (if provided);
- vapor insulation layer;
Thus, nothing is protected by waterproofing layer quickly comes in disrepair.
The inversion roof looks exactly the opposite, which can be understood from the name:
- ballast (gravel, crushed stone or other heavy material);
- hydrophobic insulation;
- Protective substrate (primer);
Such flat roofs have a long service life and are optimally suitable for operating roofs.
Breathable can be both classic and inversion structures. They are equipped with aerators or deflectors to provide additional ventilation, because there is no clearance between flat roofs and house, as in the case of scanty roofs. This leads to insufficient air exchange, so the organization of the ventilation system is so important.
By drawing up a project of a single-storey house with a flat roof, it is imperative to pay close attention to the type of roof. Here the roof is the most important component. Russian firms do not have been engaged in such designs, so contact us only to verified agencies.
This is one of the rare cases when the project should only do professionals. You, in turn, can only only work out the location of the rooms, as well as indicate exactly how you plan to operate the roof and are you planning at all. It will depend on it, what foundation will lay out, from which the bearing walls will be made.
Examples of beautiful one-storey houses implemented on professionally compiled projects are presented in the photo gallery.
- The flat roof is not always the operated. Sometimes it is used only as part of a common design concept. Pay attention to the characteristic feature of all flat roofs: they all have parapets.
- A single-storey house in a modern style fits perfectly into a minimalistic surrounding landscape. Despite the fact that many consider such houses “boxes”, it is impossible to deny that they look interesting and originally.
- On the roof of a one-story house with a flat roof, you can organize almost anything. After breaking the gas meadow, the owners did a house part of the surrounding landscape, at the same time emphasizing the eco-friendly style.
- An interesting project of a single-storey house with a garage will have to do with the owner of several cars. When it comes to accommodation, the garage is what you need. A place paid to the construction of an extension can be compensated for by the organization of the roof terrace.
- The cheapest of all one-storey houses with flat roofs look really boring, but it is worth remembering about their value that compensates for an inexpressive appearance. As a rule, the price of such a house is 3-4 times less than a small cottage with a scope system. For greater savings you can position on the roof of the solar panels.
- The wooden brick house looks at the same time modern and traditionally, a bit in the style of country. It was possible to achieve, using for the roof the darker finishes, than for the whole house. Thanks to the flat roof, the house looks air, than if the scope design was used.
In this video, it will be about the design of a flat roof for a single-storey building.