In the process of designing and building buildings, architects pay attention not only to the functional and practical, but also the decorative-investigation side. So, relevant decorative elements give the building a presentability. Pilators are popular and widespread in this regard. Today in our material we will talk more about such architectural details.
What it is?
To begin with, it is necessary to deal with the fact that pilasters are represented. In fact, these are the protrusions on the wall that have a common side with it (this characteristic of the pilaster distinguishes them from the columns) and are widely used in architecture and construction. It is important to note the fact that this architectural element does not have any pressure on the wall, therefore it is widely used for the design of both external and inland walls of any room.
In their appearance, the pilaster resembles a column. At the same time, these design elements may have different forms and sizes. They are used to design facades, inland walls, doors, windows and many other things.
If you approach the question of studying the pilaster from an architectural point of view, it is necessary to select multiple key components:
- base (or base) – It is on this design that all other elements are arranged and fixed, its dimensions can reach the indicator of 0.5 m;
- Pilastry pillar is its main part, there are carved and smooth varieties of this element of the exterior;
- Kapitel – This is a part that performs the main decorative role, in connection with which it can be framed and decorated with a variety of patterns.
In order for the pilaster to look holistic and harmoniously, all its items must be combined with each other (in color, sizes, form). Generally speaking, pilasters like architectural details have a rather ancient, long and interesting history of their appearance and development. For the first time on the use of these items in the construction and decoration of houses, you can talk from the time of antiquity. Particular details were in ancient Greece (later – in ancient Rome).
Initially, the pilasters performed an exceptionally functional role and were a kind of strengthening of supporting structures. Due to this appointment, this architectural elements paid little attention from a decorative point of view. Pilasters were mounted only on facades of buildings and had an exceptionally rectangular shape, a natural stone was used during their manufacture. In the era of the revival, architects and designers revised the appointment of the pilaster and began to build such structures not only outside, but also indoors.
At the same time decorated with pilasters not only the walls, but also furniture, paintings and much more. To date, pilasters continue to remain popular and widespread decorative elements that are used by designers and architects for premises.
At the same time, these elements have an attractive appearance and successfully complement some interior styles (for example, classicism, baroque).
Consider several basic functions that perform pilasters indoors:
- strengthening the wall surface;
- Separation and zoning of space (for example, using the data of items can be divided the kitchen and dining area);
- Hiding flaws (for example, finishing defects or communications wires);
- Decoration and decoration.
Today on the market you can find a wide variety of decorative pilasters: with flutes, angular, type pylon, rustic, canned and other options. In connection with such a large variety of similar architectural elements, the user is quite difficult to make a choice.
For the convenience of buyers, manufacturers adopted a classification of a pilaster that is based on the appearance of the pillar. There are 3 main categories for this indicator.
Rectangular pilasters are considered modern (or modern). They are able to harmoniously fit into a variety of interiors. At the same time, they are often used to strengthen the wall, as well as in order to zoning space.
Semicircular varieties The pilaster can be attributed to the designs of a classic type. In its appearance, such pilasters in the interior of the room can resemble a column that is half drowning into the wall.
Sophisticated pilasters may have different shapes, have a diverse relief and a unique form (which, in turn, can change in different parts of the post). It is necessary to approach the choice of these items to fit with extreme caution, as they are quite difficult fit into the familiar classic interior.
Thus, Each user will be able to pick up such pilasters that will harmoniously fit in exactly the interior who inherent its dwelling. You can make a choice of pilaster yourself either resort to the help of professional designers so as not to be mistaken and in the future I will not regret your acquisition.
In addition to the variety of species Pilaster in form, these architectural elements are also different from the material of the manufacture. In the process of choice and acquisition, the pilaster is particularly close attention to be paid to what the architectural elements are made from what kind of raw materials. This factor will have a decisive effect on how durable and reliable data will be elements, as well as how long will they serve.
Popular Materials Production Pilant:
It should be noted that today the most common and popular pilasters, which are not made of natural, and from artificial materials are made. Most often it is due to their cost, as well as strength and reliability. Accordingly, earlier popular elements from plasterboard or wooden variations lose their relevance.
Application Pilatter Actual in various areas of design. So, Common, popular and demanded among consumers are pilasters on the facade, on the wall, on the door. As mentioned above, the pilots were initially perceived exclusively as facade fortifications. For the most part, they performed a functional value. However, today the situation has changed significantly.
First of all, this is due to the fact that modern buildings do not require additional fortifications in the form of a pilaster, since they are built on the basis and taking into account all the latest technological developments, and the process of direct construction itself is high quality. In this regard, we can conclude that today the pilasters are decorative and work elements that are popular among designers.
Similar structures can be installed in the doorway, in the living room.
To date, the use of the pilaster is relevant in some cases:
- To give stiffness to one or another design (for this item can be placed on the corners of buildings);
- For zoning (especially this is true if you live in a studio apartment or if the rooms of your home are large enough and spacious in its size);
- For the framework of windows and doors;
- For separation of floors.
How to choose?
In the process of choosing and acquiring a pilaster, you must consider several key factors. The main one can be attributed to:
- dimensions (in this regard, it is necessary to focus on the distinctive characteristics of the premises that you decorate, accordingly, it is mandatory to make careful measurements);
- Form and color (when choosing a pilaster according to these indicators, you need to focus on your individual preferences, as well as the style of the interior you want to create);
- manufacturer material (first of all it is necessary to determine which functional role elements will be made – decorative or practical – and only after that you can choose a specific material);
- Manufacturer and place of acquisition (you should only trust proven companies, and directly purchase should be carried out in branded shops and offices);
- Cost (choose products from the average price category).
If you will consider the factors described above when buying, you can purchase such pilasters that will serve you a long period of time and fit well into your interior, fulfilling your purpose.
Consider several beautiful and stylish examples of using a pilaster as part of the interior design of various premises. You can copy these examples in the process of designing your own dwelling or use them as a reference point and a source of inspiration.
- In this photo you can see the pilasters framing the arch, which is the entrance to the room. At the same time, this interior element is beautifully emphasized both the overall style of the room and its separate elements (ceiling, chandelier, windows). So it is the final detail.
- In this image you can see that the pilasters are located symmetrically in relation to each other. At the same time, especially unusual and unique is the place of their location – Bathroom. In this interior, pilastres are well combined with the color of the rest of the interior.
- A popular solution in the context of spacious living rooms – Framing with the help of a pilaster of fireplaces. At the same time, in this case, it is especially close to choosing the sizes of architectural elements (both lengths and widths).
- In this interior, wooden pilasters look stylish and appropriate (even though these elements themselves have long come out of fashion). If you choose this design of the room, you should immediately keep in mind the fact that it will take careful care (regular erasing of dust, polishing).
- Despite the fact that according to general features, this style of interior design is similar to the modern, pilastres fits perfectly in its framework. They make up a large number of interior details, while harmoniously combining the overall design and creating a single and holistic atmosphere.
So we were able to make sure that Pilastres are an architectural element that performs a variety of functions. At the same time, due to the large variety of species, it is very important attentively and responsibly approaching their choice and acquisition, paying attention to all distinctive characteristics.
About how to make a pilastry from gypsum with your own hands, see the following video.